Air Tours, Grand Canyon

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

The Canyon from above

by toonsarah Written Feb 23, 2010

Above the Grand Canyon

Our final view of the Grand Canyon came not from one of its rims but from the air. We took a short flight from an airfield north of Flagstaff which gave us a rather different perspective and a chance to really appreciate the huge scale of this geological marvel.

Our chosen company was Air Grand Canyon, with an airfield conveniently located on our route south from the Canyon to Flagstaff, but there are many others. The company accepts walk-ins, so there’s no need to book in advance, which is helpful when like us you can’t be sure of your arrival time in the area. Flights vary in length – we opted for the medium price Canyon Tour but there’s a short Budget Tour if money is tight, although you would probably be frustrated by so short a glimpse of the scenery below. You can also do a Grand Tour, which takes you out above the surrounding area to see the landscape through which the Colorado carves the Canyon, but in fact we found that we got a good sense of that even on our shorter tour. It lasted about 50 minutes; we were the only passengers and both had a window seat (you can see th eplane in photo 5).

The pilot gave us a commentary through our headphones, but to be honest I didn’t take much of this in. I was too focused on getting as many photos as possible and making the most of our brief time in the air. I was also, unusually for me, feeling a little queasy – I never normally get air-sick, even in small planes, but when I came down with a bug the next day I realise that it was probably to blame for my feeling off-colour, rather than the movement of the plane. So please don’t let that put you off trying this wonderful experience for yourself!

• profphat's Profile Photo

Helicopter Ride

by profphat Updated Mar 13, 2008

Thats a air view for you

The must-do activity at the Park would be to take a helicopter into the Grand Canyon. There are different routes that are either longer or shorter. When you first get in and lift off you get this feeling of soaring alone. You get used to it after a while. At first you go over some trees and into the canyon. As you fly there is a narration about the canyon that you hear in your head phones. If your visiting, don't worry they have all kinds of languages for the narration. While you fly the music going goes along with what you see. For example, the helicopter was flying over a cliff and the music went ta-da and we came over the edge and saw the Colorado River. Very cool.

• Theme Park Trips

• Hosell's Profile Photo

The Best Views at Grand Canyon!.

by Hosell Updated May 14, 2004

AIR GRAND CANYON.

If you have the chance,a very good idea it is take a ride on a small plane.There is a small airport in Grand Canyon and you can buy a ticket for a short flight in a small plane or an helicopter.Without doubts from the air,you can see the best views of this huge and beautiful place.You can choose between few diferents air companies,some of them with nice prices.We choosed this company :

AIR GRAND CANYON
    And has few diferent routes between $74 to$174.And from 40 minutes to one and half hours of flying time.

Me waiting for one of best flights of my life! :-)

• Hiking and Walking
    • Camping

• solopes's Profile Photo

Lake Powell

by solopes Updated Feb 6, 2013

Lake Powell - USA

Before visiting the west, I read a lot. In most lectures, Lake Mead was a must see. From the air we can have the idea of the importance of Hoover dam, and the challenge that its construction must have been. But, from the air, the views of Lake Powell are more impressive. A real wonder! And it must be very interesting the boat trip to rainbow bridge, meandering in the rocks. Next time...

• solopes's Profile Photo

Rainbow Bridge

by solopes Updated Dec 26, 2013

Rainbow Bridge - USA

Seen from the plane in our way from the Grand Canyon to Monument Valley, Rainbow Bridge seems a small accident in nature.

Of course it isn’t and it was one of the strongest reasons why I was sorry the plane couldn’t land everywhere. It must be impressive, watching the arch from the ground, but I had no time for those long hours driving there.

• Benson35's Profile Photo

Down the Canyon in a helicopter

by Benson35 Written Jan 26, 2012

Nearly over the Canyon

WOW! Amazing experience!

This was a once in a life-time opportunity for me. It is an expensive tour but as I say, once in a life-time.
    We were picked up at the back our hotel (Imperial Palace) and went by coach to the Grand Canyon. All passengers were split into groups once we got there; people who were flying in helicopters and those who weren't.
    The five of us (my friends and I) were all in one helicopter. The views are spectacular; we were all completely lost for words.
    I loved the sensation of flying in a helicopter, it's completely different to flying in an plane. When you hover over the Canyon and see the vastness and the expanse of land - it's . . . amazing (no words can do it justice).

Book on a tour and enjoy the experience.

• Casino and Gambling

• Helicopter Tour

by AncientOne Written Jan 20, 2005

Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour

wow! This is the most amazing way to see the Grand Canyon! Forget the stinky Mules or the vibrating til your teeth fall out airplane tours, the helicopter is the way to go!
    I went on Papillon/Grand Canyon Tours out of Tusayan which is the town 6 miles outside of the park. I went on the Imperial Tour and it was jaw dropping.They take your picture right before you board the heli and by the time you get back its availible for purchase and is large enough for framing.It's about, Adult: Reg. $169.00 per person + $6.00 fees.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Amazing views

by rexvaughan Written Jun 5, 2007

View of the Colorado River from the helicopter

I know it is very expensive, but if you can swing it, a helicopter ride over and into the canyon is a great experience. My grandson and I took the Imperial Tour which is an hour flight and crosses to the north rim and goes below the rim into the canyon as well. This gave us great views of the Little Colorado and tons of rock formations of an amazing array of coloring. The pilot provides some narration but much is on tape and is available in about 8 languages. There was a French couple on our flight and the pilot played the narrations first in English then in French. If you can arrange to get in the front seat (the chopper seats 6 or 7 plus the pilot), you get the best view. It helps to have an 11 year old with you as they give that seat to the smaller ones.

There are flights of varying lengths (and costs) so you can go for a half hour (about $120) to about 7 hours (around $500). There is a slight reduction in prices for children. There are several companies offering tours, but it is hard to sort out as some seem to be buying out others. We used Papillon but the billing name was Viator.

• Taffster's Profile Photo

Maverick Helicopter Tours

by Taffster Written Apr 8, 2006

Wow - I was so overwhelmed seeing the canyon from the air. This is a definate recommendation - don't thinkof the money - it's once in a lifetime and will give you fantastic memories to remember the canyon by.

• aah_stone's Profile Photo

Helicopter Tour

by aah_stone Written May 9, 2005

Eastern Grand Canyon - from helicopter

This is perhaps the best £85 I have ever spent in my life. Taking a helicopter over the canyon is the most amazing way to ecperience it. You get a real sense of enourmiy and just..... (running out of words to try and descrie it) WOW!!

Not only was this my first time in a helicopter, which was exciting enough, but it gave the most amazing views of the canyon that I could ever have wished for :) The ppoint at which you are stop flying above the trees amd snow covered south rim and head out ove the canyon as it just drops away a mile further beneath you is just fantastic.

We took the Imperial Tour with Papillon Helicoptors from Grand Canyon Airfield, which took us out over the eastern canyon before following it back along towards Grand Canyon Village. You get to see both rims very clearly, and that the north rim is much higher than the south rim (we went in early April when the North RIm road was still closed. The snow depth on the north rim was probably 5-6ft in places, only a sprinkling of snow covering the south rim).

The tour istself has an audio commentry, which although quite interesting, becomes increasing difficult to follow as you spend most of your concentraton on looking at the views and attempting to take photos.

The terminal buildin gwher you wait for your flight is comfortable, clean and has amenities like a small cafe and a shop (with film/memory cards if you are low on it). Before your flight you are weighed so that they can balance out the helicopter. YOu are then shown a short safety breifing video and then you wait for your flight. You are not allowed any bags on board (including camera bags), so you may need to wear a coat with big pockets.

Do this and you wont regret it :)

• School Holidays

Fly me to the edge!

by Sharrie Updated Feb 22, 2004

You get as close as this. I was lucky that the pilot is competent; heard many stories b4 getting on board!

They say diamond is forever.
    I say Grand Canyon is forever.

If a man proposes to me over the Grand Canyon, I might just say "YES!" ;-)

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

Yup, it's all within reach!

Know thy destiny

Incredible, isn't it?

I thank God for the ability to see & for the chance to venture this far!
    I'm at an age whereby I no longer ask myself what's my destiny in life. & don't ask how young I'm! ;-)

Fact is... one just live life according to circumstances & trying to make the best of it.
    Granted, my circumstances are much better than majority of people in this world.
    Ok, let me ask you a question.
    Do u believe in God?
    Do u believe in Him having a plan?
    No, this is not sermon & today is not Sunday. Not my time anyway. It's Monday!

I didn't believe or rather I've no experience of God until about 12 years ago.
    I challenged Him alright.. over the course of many years.
    I asked for MIRACLES.
    I do. I am one who believes in asking for miracles. That's all I ask for... mostly miracles.
    Sure, I'm greedy you may say.
    But, what the heck? This is God we are talking about.
    The Almighty!
    If I have to believe in something or someone that can never be proven or be seen, all I can be certain of is if there's a miracle in sight!
    Anyway, what's the harm of asking?
    I stand more to gain than to lose...
    So, I asked & I asked & I asked...
    Even now, I'm still asking...

Yep, I'm stubborn.
    BUT, I'm a case where NO ONE would ever believe that HE would made an example of me. NO ONE.
    I was very pragmatic & I reason extremely well at work.
    Even now, I am still very pragmatic & still reason well.
    Fact is, I'm convinced now more than ever.
    & sometimes I couldn't believe the words that came out of my mouth!
    Ok, ok, don't freak out... I don't go church! I'm not trying to convince anyone or convert anyone for that matter.
    I'm just sharing an experience here... like a traveling experience.
    It is a sense of knowing.
    Just knowing...
    Knowing that there's someone else out there with you every steps of the way.
    That things happened for your best interest.
    That they are just lessons you have to learn & grow.
    That's all there is to it.
    Well, to me, that's all for now.

Until later...

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

The wonder of man's ingenuity

Rocks vs Thoughts

Close up photo of the Canyon. Impressive, isn't it? Do bring a camera with a zoom lens if you plan to take pictures of this amazing wonder!

A picture says a thousand words...
    A miracle saves a thousand lives.
    No, you might not see it.
    Yes, its energy is spreading & flying high!

Miracles? These? Just rocks, some say.
    Sure, we are just atoms afterall.
    Cherish your thoughts, that's where miracles grow!
    Those jets, they were merely thoughts in time.

• SailorRoar's Profile Photo

Helicopter tour to Grand Canyon

by SailorRoar Written Apr 2, 2008

Helicopter is definetly the way to see Grand Canyon. Me and my wife went on the Grand Canyon West Ranch daytrip from Las Vegas, that included a landing and a cowboy dinner at a working ranch near the canyon. Great experinvece that I can recomend to anybody.

• sfphototraveller's Profile Photo

Grand view by Plane,Helicopter and boat.

by sfphototraveller Updated Aug 19, 2006

the plane we flew in.

I took a Plane,Helicopter and boat tour of Grand canyon. Cost $ 350 a person.
    they picked me up from my hotel around 5am. Drove us to Airport we took a plane to the Heliport to ride in the Helicopter that took us to a boat. then off the boat back on the helicopter for lunch then back in the helicopter to the airport to catch the plane back to the airport then bus back to hotel.
    Lunch was good , I had seconds included water,ice tea.
    This was my 2nd visit to Grand Canyon.
    The Helicopter is not for the faint of heart. The Helicopter pilot dips and dives into the canyon near the water between the walls of the canyon. There are seat belts in the Helicopter.
    The woman in the front of the Helicopter were screaming at first because the way the Helicopter dips down into the canyon.

Instant Answers: Grand Canyon