High Prices, Grand Canyon

Know about this?

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Sky Walk & West Rim

by kris-t Updated Mar 23, 2013

We have to admit that lots of people do not like Sky Walk and West Rim experience for many reasons: the cost (especially for solo travelers), outrageously expensive food, a photo rip-off on Sky Walk, the long waits for each shuttle bus to go from the parking lot to each site, very limited options, tons of people around, unpaved roads etc.

Some people even are sure that "the Hualapai tribe has finally figured out how to get retribution against white people for 400 years of injustice" lol there's a grain of truth in every joke...

Unique Suggestions: It's truth that the infrastructure and amenities are nothing special but the experience of seeing the Grand Canyon at Guano Point worth the cost and a drive from Las Vegas.

After all we still won't go back to this part of the Grand Canyon.

Fun Alternatives: We did not do the South Rim (yet) but if you are making your choice between West Rim and South Rim, it's probably has sense to take the extra time and start with the South Rim.

The South Rim is a Grand Canyon National Park and seems to be a much better place to get in touch with nature.

If you can't afford the time to go to the Grand Canyon National Park, Grand Canyon West is a good alternative.

• Photography

• bestlasvegastours.com west rim rip off

by astro611 Updated Jul 6, 2010

The West rim of the Grand Canyon was breathtaking but the people at best las vegas tours tainted our experience. They took my negative review off their website, they only put positive reviews on their website, extremely dishonest. These people are con men. The helicopter ride was about eight minutes both ways. The pontoon boat cruise was 18 mins (I timed it) so basically you are paying an additional $150 per person for 26 mins (the bus alone was $150) but even that wouldn't have been worthed. The quality of lunch was poor. There were too many switches of buses eating up time such that we had to rush through our day to make it back on time to go back to Vegas. On the bus ride my party of eight were at the front of the line so we got to pick our seats and my dad and cousin each sat by the window. My cousin was rudely told to move to sit with my dad so that a married white couple could sit together, this was not a request it was a demand. There were no reserved seats, it should be first come first served. The tour operator had a shouting match with my dad (my dad was already angry that they had deceived us about pricing and wrongly booked our tour) and threatened to call the police and remove my dad from the bus because he refused to move. My dad never did anything antisocial or use swear words, he was simply standing up for his rights. I have never seen such an outright form of discrimination towards my family in my life. He had ruined eight people's experience of the Grand Canyon. Horrible customer service and poorly constructed tour.

Unique Suggestions: DON'T BOOK ANY TOUR WITH BESTLASVEGASTOURS.COM, THEY ARE A HUGE RIP OFF AND THE PEOPLE ARE EXTREMELY RUDE AND NOT PROFESSIONAL.

Fun Alternatives: MAKE SURE YOU ASK HOW LONG THE HELICPOTER RIDE IS IF YOU BOOK AN AIR TOUR OF THE GRAND CANYON.

• Adventure Travel

• Kaikoura's Profile Photo

Last minute Bookings Avoid If You Can

by Kaikoura Written Apr 17, 2010

If you can, book your GC Tour early. There are cheaper online prices. The only thing about online booking is most of them have nonrefundable advance deposits. Weigh the possibilities. We probably paid USD40-45 more by not booking early online. We found out booking with an agent was cheaper than organizing the tour at the hotel or even booking directly to the tour provider.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Desert

• mikehanneman's Profile Photo

Buy What You Need Outside The Park

by mikehanneman Written Jul 15, 2007

Hiking up the Bright Angel trail

I guess we are all used to paying more for food and other things inside a Natioanl Park.

Anything you will need, sun screen, food, pop, beer, is going to cost you a lot more at the stores at The Grand Canyon.

Unique Suggestions: When I travel, I will stop in a city/town in the area and I will pick up a inexpensive cooler, fill it with ice and grab some bread, meat etc., for sandwiches. They are great to take on the trail or eat anywhere.

Fun Alternatives: You can stop in Flagstaff, Williams or Page, depending which direction you are coming from.

• Jplummer's Profile Photo

Overly-Priced

by Jplummer Written Sep 28, 2004

Anything that you buy at the Grand Canyon will be overly priced! Food, drinks, clothing and more. If you wish to buy something, check out Flagstaff. It is the closest major town to the Grand Canyon, 80 miles away. Or just go shopping out of the Grand Canyon. Things will still be pricey, but not as much. You don't want to kick yourself in the behind when you see the same sweater for 1/3 of the price.

Unique Suggestions: If you need to go eat food or wish to purchase gift items, you can go to the "Grocery Store" which has food, gift items and more. It is cheaper than to go to a specialty store, or a restaurant. For example, a loaf of bread, sandwich meat and components is cheaper than buying the same sandwich at a restaurant.

• National/State Park

• General Store - A store in the...

by PotatoAddict Written Aug 25, 2002

General Store - A store in the village which sells everything from souvenirs, groceries, and backpacker supplies (sleeping bags, hiking poles, hydration packs, etc.). Convenient? Yes it is. Sounds nice? It sure does! The price is right? Don't count on it. The prices were incredibly higher. In my home location in Southern California, you can buy a Kodak MAX 4-roll Pack for only $8.99. In the General Store, $18.99. Yikes! One gallon of water? $1.25 I believe. Before making your trip to the Grand Canyon, bring enough supplies so that you won't have to buy any from the 'General Store.'

Instant Answers: Grand Canyon

Comments

Other Tourist Traps in Grand Canyon