Drop Off, Grand Canyon National Park

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Be Cautious in the Dark

by grandmaR Updated Oct 18, 2005

My Dad and Mom watching the sunrise

We went out before the sunrise to take pictures. It is really dark out in the desert - no street lights. When you are driving, you have the headlights of course. Buses on the Hermit Rest Route run one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset, but after you get off the bus (or park) and walk to the overlook, it's dark. But it is definitely worth it.

So it might be wise to have a flashlight so that you don't accidentally walk off the edge somewhere.

• Desert
    • National/State Park

• zrim's Profile Photo

Pretend that you are falling into the abyss

by zrim Written Feb 15, 2003

Zrim is clowning around

I'm sure that every visitor with a camera has taken a similar shot of their impending doom. There is probably an old shot of Teddy Roosevelt pretending to slide over the cliff somewhere in the attic of the Whitehouse. But still it's fun, why not do a shot for your own scrapbook. By the way there was a broad ledge under this outcropping, I faced no worse injury than maybe a scraped shin.

• zrim's Profile Photo

Sit as far out on the precipice as you can get

by zrim Written Feb 15, 2003

hold on tight

Not my cup of tea. With my fear of heights I'll stay behind the railing, thank you very much. Actually, several people fall to their deaths each year in the Grand Canyon. I'd rather meet a grizzly than crawl out on those rocks.

Instant Answers: Grand Canyon National Park

Comments

Other Local Customs in Grand Canyon National Park

View all Grand Canyon National Park hotels