Know about this?
the north rim of the grand canyon is in a very remote area of arizona. the nearest town is about 100 miles from the canyon. besure to fill up with gas before you enter the colorado plateau. there is gas at the kaibab lodge but it will be expensive. also pack water and snacks in case of a break down. auto repair will be slow and very costly. also pack a sweater or jacket even in mid summer. at 8000 ft the north rim can get chilly at night.
Drat those pesky gnats
During the Springtime (April through May) in the Grand Canyon they experience "blooms of gnats." Gnats are pesky fruit flies generally harmless but annoying. 1 or two gnats can be ignored but when they "bloom" it is absolutely a definite problem. I am talking thousands and thousands of the nasty creatures. You have to put your hands over your nose and mouth to breathe, these bugs get everywhere in your hair, ears, nose and mouth. Getting in and out of the car is tricky as the gnats swarm to enter your car.
Here are some tips to help decrease the invasion.
Bring insect repellant, if you forget the try rubbing fresh lemon on exposed areas (bugs are repelled by the citrus--that is why outdoor candles work--with citronella.) If renting a vehicle stay away from white or light colors, the same applies to clothing as well. The gnats do not seem to congregate to the darker colors.
- National/State Park
- Family Travel
- Low rate guaranteed!
- Otel.com No booking or cancellation fees! Book with otel.com & get 5% bonus
- Huge discounts - Book online!
- Hotelsclick.com The Best Hotel Rates on the Internet Great rates always include taxes. Secure booking.
Grand Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Union Territory of Daman and Diu Hotels
- Cape Town
- Samalkot Hotels
- Albert Canyon Hotels
- Shengjin Hotels
- Fort Myers Beach Warnings and Dangers
- Malawi Warnings and Dangers
- Alice Springs Warnings and Dangers
- Pagudpud Warnings and Dangers
- Thiruvananthapuram Warnings and Dangers
- Lyon Warnings and Dangers
- Sigiriya Warnings and Dangers
- Gettysburg Warnings and Dangers
- Dallas Warnings and Dangers
- Sofia Warnings and Dangers
- Martinique Warnings and Dangers
- Hartford Warnings and Dangers