Marana Travel Guide

STEM OF SAGUARO CACTUS

Marana Hotels

Marana Restaurants

• Not great variety

They serve cocktails, cold beer, sandwiches, games, non-alcoholic beverages - cheap. I didn't eat their sandwiches, I preffered those made by Ursula :-). Not great veariety there but big commercial on a tall pale as you can see on my picture hehe. If I am not a driver I will try some beer there next time.

• Pizza

If you like pizza you can order one in R & R Pizza Express. I didn't eat it, I prefered sandwiches made by Ursula :-). I would choose Pizza Jalapeno there, I think.

• Marana Hotels

3 Hotels in Marana

52 Reviews and Opinions

Marana Transportation

HIGHWAY  MARANA  -  SAGUARO  NATIONAL  PARK

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 30, 2003

I drove from Yuma via I-8 and then I-10 towards Tucson western part of Saguaro National Park. To go to the Park I had to take exit 236 just in Marana. The business area I stopped is located just by the exit.

Marana is located along interstate freeway I-10 (Phoenix - Tucson):
    - 93 miles (150 km, 1.5 hour) southeast of Phoenix
    - 23 miles (37 km, 30 min.) northwest of Tucson
    - 217 miles (350 km, 3.5 hours) east of Yuma.

• Desert

Marana Local Customs

• Landart town?

Look at another landart (is it correct name?) example from Marana. It looks quite nice, don't you think so?Do they love to make such land areas there? Made (paid) by private business or a city? Hmm... I don't know. Notice no flowers there, no wonder - they didn't use to "waste" water there, I suppose.

• By local artist?

Wear good glasses, enlarge my picture and look. What a lovely composition (landart?) of local cactuses, wood and... an ugly pale in the middle with La Tumbleewed Lounge commercial atop.Hmm... made by local artist? :-))).

• Agriculture on a desert?

It seems that except empty, desert areas there are some farms on a desert as well. Hmm... if you water the land... Or maybe there are cattle farms exclusively there. Look at my picture to see the pickup truck and its load: isn't it food for the cattle?

Marana Warnings and Dangers

• Floods on a desert?

There are a lot of such dips as on my picture on a highway (N. Sandario Road) to Saguaro National Park. I heard that sometimes (usually in spring) there are heavy storms in that area with a lot of rain in short time. The rocky, desert earth can't absorb the large quantity of water and lower areas like dips on a highway are flooded. More: they are...

• No shadowed parking lots

Marana is one of the hottest place in the USA, especially from May to October. Looking for a parking lot in business area at exit 236 on I-10 you will not find any shadowed place. Hmm... not so bad in April but in summer... I even can't imagine. My Buick would boil probably there (me as well :-).

• Taking pictures is difficult there!

It is not so easy to take a good picture in sunny day (are they others?) in Marana. First of all there are BIG contrasts between sun-lighted areas and shadows.My top 5 advices:1. avoid taking pics in midday, better just after sunrise or before sunset,2. avoid making pictures with objects of large contrast (white and black) - enlarge my picture to...

Marana Tourist Traps

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 29, 2003

Southern Arizona and Marana are one of the hottest places in the USA in summer, or more exactly from May to October.
    In summer high temperatures are usually over 100F = 38C (sometimes even 110F = 43C), low over 70F (21C).

Check the 10-day forecast for Marana:
    Weather Underground

Unique Suggestions: My top 5 advices:
    1. Wear very light (and too large :-) clothes made of natural materials (cotton) and a hat,
    2. stay in shadow if possible and move slowly hehe,
    3. drink a lot of cold water (no sweet juices or booze),
    4. avoid midday and early afternoon,
    5. keep smiling :-)))

Fun Alternatives: Visit Marana from November to April, at least in May or October.

Marana What to Pack

by matcrazy1 Written Aug 29, 2003

Luggage and bags: No bags in hot summer except one for your camera, good (safe) pockets (or comfortable belt) instead. Small city rucksack for warm winter.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Light clothes (shorts, T-shirts, better too large :-) made of natural materials (cotton) for warm/hot days all year round.
    Sweater/pullover and/or jacket for cold evenings/nights (from November till April).
    Shoes? Oh, yes - you should have them :-). Sandals for walking and/or good walking shoes for trails around (dangerous reptiles and insects possible).
    Add sun glasses.

Check the 10-day forecast for Marana:
    The Weather Channel

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Good sun protection cosmetics with high UV filter - use them BEFORE or just after you leave your car.

Photo Equipment: Be prepared for large contrasts between sun and shadow - sun filters recommended. Add hmm... how do you call it in English - something fixed to your camera objective to protect it against sun - not comfortable to carry but necessary, I suppose.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Tourist frige with ice cubes and cold beverages inside :-).

Marana Off The Beaten Path

• Tequila is NOT made from cactus

It's made from agave or maguey (pr. "mah-gay") plant. This plant is actually related to the lily and amaryllis (it has its own genus, Agave). Did you know that?MORE:Tequila? What's that?

• Highway to Saguaro National Park

This highway on my picture goes southwards to Saguaro National Park. It's called North Sandario Road and starts in Marana at exit 236 on I-10.Driving this road I passed, on the right side, by... an airport in Marana (Avra Valley Airport). I was very surprised to see airports or better to say airfields in so small communities like Marana. Hmm... do...

• 76? What's that?

It's just a number or... a filling station chain in the USA. I have never see them in Europe.Gas was less expensive there than in California (at least 10%) but more expensive than later in New Mexico and Texas. Is the West more expensive?From my friend Nat:(b1bob):There are good reasons why petrol in California is more expensive than elsewhere:1....

Marana Favorites

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 30, 2003

Favorite thing: Hmm... nothing interesting there except just to see typical southern Arizonian lazy, hot atmosphere and town.

MORE:
    Official Town of Marana website
    Marana Chamber of Commerce

• Desert

Instant Answers: Marana

Comments

Explore Deeper into Marana
Horticulture
More and more Saguaro cacti
Business area
Cactus? What's that?
Off The Beaten Path
Look up and... learn English :-)
Local Customs
Large branches growing upwards
Off The Beaten Path
Each USA state has its...
Local Customs