Nogales Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Nogales

School buses

by matcrazy1 Updated Oct 12, 2003

SCHOOL  BUS  AT  NOGALES

There are school buses painted in bright orange color in the USA. Haha, I liked them.
    I could see probably the first school bus in the USA just in Nogales - look at my picture. Watch for them and give way to them when they enter traffic from a school bus stop. Stop when the bus stops with orange back lamps flashing.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Cinderella? What or who is that?

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 27, 2003

LA  CINDERELLA

Driving around Nogales I found this building with a story on a groundfloor as you can see on my picture. It's called La Cinderella. Hmm... I didn't know what Cinderella meant in English when I was there.

The original Cindirella was a girl in a traditional story who was badly treated by her family. Nowadays the word "Cinderella" is used to name someone or something that is given little attention or care, esp. less than they deserve. Hmm... Virtual Tourist still seems to be the Cinderella of the internet. Is it correct in my English? He?

Much more about Cindirella: click here

From my friend Linda (lmkluque) from San Diego, California:
    The Story of Cinderella, by the Grimm Brothers, came with the immigrants from Europe and has been told to almost every child in the USA since. It is a story of good over evil. If you are interested you can read the full story here:
    Cinderella
    Disney has made a cartoon feature of the story--with literary license taken--and in this age, most children know Disney's version- but the message of the fairytale has been kept.

Thank you Linda :-)).

No restaurants there?

DOWNTOWN  NOGALES

In contrast to other US towns there were very few restaurants located in downtown in Nogales. It seems that most people/tourists go to eat in... Mexican Nogales.

But there were quite a lot of various restaurants close to Motel 6: at West Mariposa Road - between the motel and exit 4 on I-19. There were a few restaurants along I-19 BUS (Grand Avenue) southwards as well.

Look up

MOTEL  6  TALL  COMMERCIAL

Whenever you look for food, gas and/or eating while driving in the USA - look up to find commercials.

There are a lot of commercials "in sky" = on tall poles in the USA. In Nogales as well - just to be well seen from far distance while driving. That's why I could easy find my accommodation there: Motel 6.

The same in most European countries, btw does this idea derive from the USA? I think so.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Do they like green color?

PAINTED IN BRIGHT GREEN

I am not sure about it but I noticed that they paint quite a lot of buildings just in green in Nogales; not pastel green like in many European Mediterranean countries (Italy) but bright, vivid green I could say. Hmm... I have probably never seen such green till that time except in... Tijuana, Mexico a day before.
    Why just green? Is the bright green paint cheaper there he? I think that it's Mexican influence as green is national Mexican color. The flag of Mexico is green-white-red.

From my friend Dee (Yaqui) from Tehachapi, California, USA:
    You got it, they (Mexicans) love green because it's in their flag. White is too bland and red is considered a little loud to them.
    Thank you, Dee.

• Architecture

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

What is public library in the USA?

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 24, 2003

NOGALES SANTA CRUZ COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY

Public library is surely a building or room which has a collection, esp. of books, for people to read or borrow without payment (public means that it's paid by tax-payers, usually paid by city or county).

It seems that public libraries in the USA are much more public organizations/institutions than only a place to read/borrow books. They offer free internet access for at least up to one hour. They organize and/or promote various cultural events. For example the library in Nogales organized children's story hour on Wednesday mornings as you can read on my picture.
    I liked a lot a few public libraries I was lucky to visit during my USA trip.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Free access to the internet :-)

by matcrazy1 Written Sep 24, 2003

ENTRANCE  TO  THE  NOGALES  LIBRARY

The Nogales-Santa Cruz County Public Library offered free access to the Internet.
    I asked the librarian about it and I was asked to write down my name and address in a special register book. Then she wrote down the hour (time) and informed me that I have up to one hour of free internet access. I asked about... more hehe. She smiled and replied that it's no problem unless there are more people than computers connected to internet at that moment.

There were about 10 computers and maybe 3-4 people using them when I was there so I was able to use my connection longer. Hmm... I didn't need it or better to say I didn't want to "waste" more time there.

Instant Answers: Nogales

Comments

Nogales Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Nogales local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nogales sightseeing.