Page Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Page

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Antelope Canyon - Amazing!

by blueskyjohn Written Apr 11, 2012

Only a few minutes outside of Page within the Navajo Nation is Antelope Slot canyon. This is a great 1/2 day trip. The best time of year to visit the slot is June or July. The sun is at the right angle to create fantastic rays shining through the top.

You cannot access the canyon on your own and a guide is required. One can be found in the parking area. Its usually $15usd and $6 for the entrance fee. They give you a ride in the back of a pick up truck down a sandy wash to the slot mouth. There is a two hour limit on the time you can spend there. I recommend going when the sun is high for the best effects

• Adventure Travel
    • Desert

• dila's Profile Photo

rainbow bridge

by dila Updated Sep 13, 2011

Took a boat trip at Lake Powell near Page in Arizona. Correction on this page Rainbow Bridge is in Utah.

the world's largest natural bridge.
    the rainbow bridge is formed by water.
    the rainbow bridge is sacred to the native american people.
    Please visit Rainbow Bridge in a spirit that honors and respects the cultures to whom it is sacred.
    if you want to hike read the rules first. i think you need permission to walk there.

• Sailing and Boating

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Glen Canyon Dam

by vichatherly Written Jun 29, 2011

Glen Canyon Dam is a concrete arch dam on the Colorado River

We were driving from Monument Valley to Bryce Canyon and so we decided to stop off here to stretch our legs after a few hours in the car.

We took a walk around the rather interesting visitor centre and enjoyed the views of the dam. Construction of Glen Canyon Dam started in 1956 and was not finished until 1966.

by MATIM Written Nov 15, 2009

Time has given shape to the magnificent canyons.
    Over the years , the rock was molded by the rain and the wind to form this overwhelming beautiful canyon.
    Mostly dry, flash floods may occur, especially after the rain.
    And the colors of the rocks change according to the sunlight, like magic.
    At places the canyon is that narrow that if you stretch out your arms, you can actually touch both sides.

by MATIM Written Nov 15, 2009

We gathered in open jeeps with narrow benches, you wobble up and down at every bump in the road and eat sand driving through the dessert direction Canyon :)
    The weather was wonderful and we all had a lot of fun in that jeep.
    Arriving at the canyon I noticed a parking lot with some natives in the area.
    I guess they were waiting for people to show them around. Maybe that will be a lot cheaper...

by MATIM Written Nov 15, 2009

We had to wait for a few hours, so we decided to grap a bite at the KFC.
    I never saw so many fastfood restaurants than in the USA!
    After our lunch we walked around, found a terrace were we had some drinks.
    What I noticed in the USA is that you hardly have to ask for the bill, if you are ready to leave or not they just give it to you.
    I love to sit at a terrace for an hour or even more, with a drink and take it easy, however that's really hard in the USA.
    At 3 o'clock we walked back to the office, so we would be right on time for our 3.30 tour.
    Then I watched the clock in the office and saw it point 2 o'clock.
    I asked the lady at the office for the right time, we all had a laugh when we found out Page is at an other time zone then Zion national park were we left that morning :)
    Okay so we did some more shopping, back again I asked for the VT lady.
    You don't believe this but it turned out that Page has several companies that organized Antelope canyon tours. The one from the VT lady was right across the street!
    We already paid for the tour, so sorry VT lady you should have told us!

by MATIM Written Nov 15, 2009

At the office, the lady told us that all the tours for that day were booked, so we had to wait till the next day.
    That was a real bummer because of a tight schedule we wouldn't be able to make it the next day.
    However, a few minutes later an Italian couple came in and were told they could join the 3.30 pm tour!
    The lady looked suprised and asked her co worker if the tour from 3.30 was still available and hurray it was.

by MATIM Written Nov 15, 2009

At noon we arrived at our hotel (Best Western Arizona Inn)
    The receptioniste told us we could not check in yet. We had to come back at 3 PM.
    After I got myself a brochure of the company that provide the Antelope canyon tours, we decided to go into the city.
    We drove to Page, a drive from about 5 minutes.
    On the brochure I read that there are two tours.
    Tour no.1 Sightseers tour, tour length 1 hr. 40 min.
    tour no.2 Photographers tour, tour length 2 hr. 40 min.
    We took tour no. 1 cost $32,00, very expensive if you know the fact that a pass for all the National Parks in the area costs you $20,00.
    Besides that, they tell you the tour length is 1 hr. And 40 min., but they don't tell you that's including the drive.
    You are in the canyon for about a half hour at the most.
    What the tour guides do is telling you how to make the best photo shots and yell to people to move because their group want to take pictures :)
    Don't get me wrong, the Canyon is absolute amazing and if you are in the area and have the money, I highly recomment it!

• MATIM's Profile Photo

A walk through the Antelope canyon

by MATIM Written Nov 15, 2009

Before going on our trip to the USA, people in the Netherlands told us, if we had the time and were in the neighbourhood, not to forget to pay a visit at the Antelope canyon.
    I found a lady on VT who gives you a guide tour through the canyon.
    I wrote her and watched all the beautiful pictures taken at the Antelope canyon.
    She told me it was a pleasure guiding us, the only thing I had to do was give her the arriving date.
    I did and she told me she was in town that day and available for the tour.
    A few days before we arrived I send her an email asking her if the time of arrival suits her. However, I never got a reply back.
    I was not worried, because I thought we would find her. Namely, at the time I thought there was only one company that provide these guided tours.

Lees Ferry River Trail Hike

by BruceDunning Written Oct 25, 2009

Ruins of stone homes

This is an easy 2 mile round trip hike down a sandy path, and along the Colorado River. The views on the hike are wonderful. There are ruins of homes from when John Lee ran the ferry across the river. That time frame was 1871-1910. Even after that, the ferry still operated until 1929, when the nearby Navajo Bridge was built over the river. They were at two different locations, so the ruins are at two points. One is right close to the parking lot where the hike starts. The other is about 3/4 miles down the path, near the river edge. An old steamboat remains also is in the river. It was used as part of a mining operation in the nearby cliffs.

Rafting down the Colorado

by BruceDunning Updated Oct 25, 2009

Brochure on rafting

Most rafting starts at the Lees Ferry landing and goes down river 12-15 miles usually for the short trips. Some also start at Glen CAnyon dam and go down river to Lees Ferry for the short trip. A trip cost here is about $65-75. Longer one to nine day trips are offered, and many go into Grand Canyon area. The

• Rafting
    • Kayaking

Vermilion Cliffs-Paria Movie Set & Townsite

by BruceDunning Written Oct 24, 2009

Map of the curvy road to the movie set

I would not try to see it as a warning, unless you are a risk taker. I found the turnoff about 40 miles west of Page on Hwy 89. It is part of the Vermilion Cliffs BLM park. The side road is 5 miles south, and all of it is sandy/clay/dirt road. Since I got so far in, I was stuck because there was no place to turn around. Next thing I knew I was climbing a hill that had a narrow lane and ruts all over. The overhang was a sheer drop down about 100 feet. I got over that, and then going down the hill was confronted with a creekbed. It was wet, but not much; I thought. Well that clay grabs onto the tire tread, and that was the end of it. I had not traction at all. Needless to say. I worked on getting ready to climb back up that hil to get out of there pronto. It took 4 tries and a burning transmission, but made it.
    OH, by the way, there is no movie set. The last buildings are ruins. There is only a plaque describing how it used to be. I did not intend to go any further to the townsite from there

Wahweap Marina

Layout of marina amenities

This is the hub of a lot of activity for tourists, but mostly locals, or people having dual living establishments. There is a resort, restaurant, lounge, coffee shops,and normal boat necessities. It seems that almost everyone has a houseboat, rather than high speed racing boats. None are small, though. They look to be 40-60 feet and those would sleep 10-12 people.
    An underlying purpose for a lot of the activity and amenities here is there also are condos for sale, and rentals. e

• Water Sports
    • Luxury Travel

Antelope Island

by BruceDunning Updated Oct 24, 2009

Island identified by the lake bend

This island is in the middle of the river and by a bend. It is 8 miles circumference. A lot of boaters come here to relax for the day. The island got created from the backup of the water fill of the dam that took 17 years to fill. The island is a short distance from Antelope Marina, one of two popular ones at the south of the lake. It is the newest marina on the lake, and on the Navajo Reservation. Location is about 7 miles est of Page on Hwy 278, off Hwy 98

• Water Sports

Antelope Canyon Tour

Location is southeast of Page on Hwy 98

This tour is only offered through the Navajo Nation, and an Indian must be the one to be the guide. They have at least 3 places along Lake Powell Blvd to sign up for the tour. It takes about 3 1/2 hours and costs $35 per person. Two hour tours are $25-30. You go to Antelope Slot CAnyon that is on the reservation, hence the limitation. This canyon was not noted in modern day times until 1931, when a girl that was sheep herding found the gap in the sandstone rock

Instant Answers: Page

Comments

Page Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Page things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Page sightseeing.