Peach Springs Travel Guide

American Dream on Indian Land
    by Assenczo
  • Picnic with a view of the Colorado plateau
    Picnic with a view of the Colorado...
    by Assenczo
    John Osterman Gas Station
    by Basaic

Peach Springs Things to Do

• Grand Canyon Caverns

The Grand Canyon Caverns are the largest dry caverns in the country and was a very popular stop along old Route 66. They are still the largest dry caverns but the traffic is much lighter after Interstate 40 came along. The caverns are over 200 feet below the surface. They offer tours along paved walkways and off the path tours for the more...

• Dope on a Rope

When Walter Peck first started tours of Grand Canyon Caverns, he would lower the tourists 220 feet by rope with just a lantern to look around the cavern with. He referred to these tourists as a "Dope on a Rope", and reportedly that is how the phrase was born. The phrase has caught on and was most recently used by Rush Limbaugh.

• Zoomie and Friends

There have been dinosaur bones found nearby and at the Grand Canyon Caverns. As you can see in the photos, there are still dinosaurs here. The big green one is named Zoomie. The one in photo 3 looks hungry so approach with care.

• Radiator Springs

This is considered a part of Peach Springs; but appears separate. Radiator Springs was depicted in the 2006 movie “Cars”. There is an old style diner here, some neat old cars, some statues of dinosaurs, and an old style hotel. This is also the access road to Grand Canyon Caverns.

• See the John Osterman Gas Station

This gas station was built for local businessman John Osterman in 1923 using the Vernacular style of architecture with touches of the "House with Bays" tradition added. The gas station served tourists and other travelers driving down Route 66 from the 1920s to the 1950s. The station was restored using funds from the Hualapai Tribe and national...

• Peach Springs

Peach Springs is a small town of about 1100 (up 82% since 2000) located along old Route 66 just north of Interstate 40 in Northern Arizona. Peach Springs started as a stop on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad and was later a popular stop along Route 66. When the town was bypassed by Interstate 40 the town went into a rapid decline. The...

Peach Springs Hotels

• Hualapai Lodge

$91 as of November 2014. The price here was actually higher but with my military discount it was $80...

• Grand Canyon Caverns Inn

Mile Marker 115, Route 66, PO Box 180, Peach Springs, Arizona, 86434, United States

Satisfaction: Average

Good for: Business

Peach Springs Restaurants

• Basaic's Profile Photo

by Basaic Written Nov 20, 2014

$13 as of November 2014. This restaurant is associated with the Hualapai Lodge and is run by the Hualapai Nation. I almost never go to a restaurant where they serve ethnic food without trying some of the local dishes so I ordered Hualapai Stew. Good Choice. The food was quite good and the portions large enough. Service was a bit slow and indifferent, but not so bad I would not return.

Diamond Creek Restaurant

Peach Springs Tourist Traps

• buzzz's Profile Photo

by buzzz Written Oct 4, 2002

We booked months before our trip a couple of nights at the Haulupi Lodge. They do river running and we where hoping to do this for a day. When we later realised that our budget wouldn't cover the $250 dollers each to do the river running we decided to go ahead and stay here anyway thinking it might be a less crowded spot to view the Canyon. After all, the brochure for the lodge did state that they provided a 4 mile scenic bus tour of the Canyon.
    We arrived after a nine hour drive from Bryce Canyon through what could only be described as a blizzard at the start of our journey and not that much warmer by the time we arrived at Peach Springs. We checked in about 4pm. I asked the girl on the desk as we checked in for directions to the Grand Canyon as we'd have liked to take a look before dusk. She then informs me that it is a two hour drive away down an unmade road which may not be passable because of the snow. I asked about their 4 mile senic drive? I was informed that you pick the bus up at the end of your two hour drive along the unmade road. This is not how it's presented in the brochure.
    We took our bags to our rooms. The rooms where clean and spacious. Unfortunately the toilet wouldn't flush. My husband called the desk to report it and was informed by Miss Personality on the front desk that there was nothing they could do. By now we where seriously pissed. Could we have another room please? No! all the rooms are taken we are told. My husband insisted on speaking to the manager and explained to him that we had just travelled for nine hours, we have two tired kids, we need to take showers and use the bathroom. He said he'd send the janitor or whoever round when he came in. More than an hour later we had our toilet fixed. No apology or kiss my ass from any of them.
    We went to the restaurant for a meal. The food was fine and quite reasonably priced. The service was crap. These people can't smile. There was no fill ups for soft drinks or coffee until we asked and then you just got the blank stare while they filled you up. We decided to leave the next morning although we where booked in for 2 nights. In the morning we went to the restaurant for breakfast. As we walked in only two tables where occupied. There was no sign saying wait here to be seated so we took a table. The waitress came over with hands on hips and said,'Don't you guys realise your supposed to wait over there to be seated'
    I said,'No, I'm sorry we didn't realise that, would you like us to go back over there?' 'Well no your here now' she answered. These guys have a serious attitude problem. I have seen this lodge featured on Lonely Planet and The Diceman USA travel programs and I thought they would be welcoming and friendy like 99.9% of Americans you meet, but I couldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Peach Springs Off The Beaten Path

• wsucr1's Profile Photo

by wsucr1 Written Jun 30, 2005

The Hualapi Nation territory contains the Western Grand Canyon. From Peach Springs, you can drive the only road into Grand Canyon that leads you to Diamond Creek on the Colorado river.

Caution: the road is unpaved/dirt/gravel. Streams run across it. Low clearance vehicles are not recommended. Exercise caution if crossing water on the road.

Colorado River as seen from Diamond Creek
    • National/State Park
    • Adventure Travel
    • Rafting

Instant Answers: Peach Springs

Comments

Explore Deeper into Peach Springs
Peach Springs Travel Guide