Peach Springs Travel Guide

American Dream on Indian Land
    by Assenczo
  • Picnic with a view of the Colorado plateau
    Picnic with a view of the Colorado...
    by Assenczo
  • Things to Do
    by wsucr1

Peach Springs Things to Do

by wsucr1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Hualapi Nation offers 1 day white water rafting trips on motorized rigs. They will take you by bus to Diamond Creek, where you start riding the waves and speeding through the amazing Grand Canyon. You will go to Quartermaster Point, where helicopters operated by Papillon will lift you to the rim at West Grand Canyon airport. From the airport, a bus will take you back to Peach Springs.

Note: during unfavourable weather conditions, helicopters will not fly and you will be taken on the raft another 40+ mile to the take-out.

Diamond Creek

by wsucr1 Written Jun 30, 2005

Stop by the Hualapi Lodge in Peach Springs, obtain permit(s) and direction, and drive the only road to Grand Canyon.

Caution: road is unpaved/dirt and gravel. Low clearance vehicles are not recommended on this road. Exercise caution if crossing water/stream on the road.

The drive itself is well worth the trouble: beautiful scenary, and you can say that you have been to the Colorado River level inside Grand Canyon.

• Peach Springs Hotels

2 Hotels in Peach Springs

Peach Springs Hotels

• Hualapai Lodge

900 Route 66, Peach Springs, Arizona, 86434, United States

Satisfaction: Average

Good for: Business

• Grand Canyon Caverns Inn

Mile Marker 115, Route 66, PO Box 180, Peach Springs, Arizona, 86434, United States

Satisfaction: Average

Good for: Business

Peach Springs Tourist Traps

• buzzz's Profile Photo

by buzzz Written Oct 4, 2002

We booked months before our trip a couple of nights at the Haulupi Lodge. They do river running and we where hoping to do this for a day. When we later realised that our budget wouldn't cover the $250 dollers each to do the river running we decided to go ahead and stay here anyway thinking it might be a less crowded spot to view the Canyon. After all, the brochure for the lodge did state that they provided a 4 mile scenic bus tour of the Canyon.
    We arrived after a nine hour drive from Bryce Canyon through what could only be described as a blizzard at the start of our journey and not that much warmer by the time we arrived at Peach Springs. We checked in about 4pm. I asked the girl on the desk as we checked in for directions to the Grand Canyon as we'd have liked to take a look before dusk. She then informs me that it is a two hour drive away down an unmade road which may not be passable because of the snow. I asked about their 4 mile senic drive? I was informed that you pick the bus up at the end of your two hour drive along the unmade road. This is not how it's presented in the brochure.
    We took our bags to our rooms. The rooms where clean and spacious. Unfortunately the toilet wouldn't flush. My husband called the desk to report it and was informed by Miss Personality on the front desk that there was nothing they could do. By now we where seriously pissed. Could we have another room please? No! all the rooms are taken we are told. My husband insisted on speaking to the manager and explained to him that we had just travelled for nine hours, we have two tired kids, we need to take showers and use the bathroom. He said he'd send the janitor or whoever round when he came in. More than an hour later we had our toilet fixed. No apology or kiss my ass from any of them.
    We went to the restaurant for a meal. The food was fine and quite reasonably priced. The service was crap. These people can't smile. There was no fill ups for soft drinks or coffee until we asked and then you just got the blank stare while they filled you up. We decided to leave the next morning although we where booked in for 2 nights. In the morning we went to the restaurant for breakfast. As we walked in only two tables where occupied. There was no sign saying wait here to be seated so we took a table. The waitress came over with hands on hips and said,'Don't you guys realise your supposed to wait over there to be seated'
    I said,'No, I'm sorry we didn't realise that, would you like us to go back over there?' 'Well no your here now' she answered. These guys have a serious attitude problem. I have seen this lodge featured on Lonely Planet and The Diceman USA travel programs and I thought they would be welcoming and friendy like 99.9% of Americans you meet, but I couldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Peach Springs Off The Beaten Path

by wsucr1 Written Jun 30, 2005

The Hualapi Nation territory contains the Western Grand Canyon. From Peach Springs, you can drive the only road into Grand Canyon that leads you to Diamond Creek on the Colorado river.

Caution: the road is unpaved/dirt/gravel. Streams run across it. Low clearance vehicles are not recommended. Exercise caution if crossing water on the road.

Colorado River as seen from Diamond Creek

Instant Answers: Peach Springs

Comments

Peach Springs Travel Guide
Map of Peach Springs