Anything and everything, Phoenix

• AVSENT's Profile Photo

True Food: Bison

by AVSENT Updated Feb 27, 2014
    Outside View-True Food

NIce bricks and mortar in the upscale Biltmore Fashion Park, this eatery has a slightly healthy food twist. I ordered a Bison Burger (leaner than regular burger). It came with a concoction of ingredients, the best being the water cress, cheese, and bread (bun). Let's say the entire menu was a hodgepodge of ingredients thrown together. The selections sound good but, in my case the execution missed by a country mile. Which country? Well, for starters the umami sauce on my burger was not really tasteful and was just dripping off the burger like some bacon burgers drip. The bread was great but, not for burgers. i'd bite into the chewy roll and I had to hold it so hard that I would squeeze the ingredients out. The sweet potato hash was an inspiring idea but, some of the cubes were undercooked (very crunchy). For the price you pay you would expect much more. After telling the wait staff (they wanted to know), I was comped a desert. This again sounded magnificent, pear cobbler with gobi fruit; Mmm, I thought, but wrong again. Some of the pear pieces were also, undercooked and crunchy. The Gobi just sort of got lost and had minimal taste-it was more like decoration. But, the flavor as a whole was good. Nice try though. You can see what they are trying to do with the food; and it would be amazing. However, the execution failed along with the prices.

Favorite Dish: Nothing yet. Next time the teriyaki bowl.

• thechels's Profile Photo

A slew of great fun and fine dining opportunities

by thechels Updated May 20, 2007

Throughout the state of Arizona you'll find both 'fun' and fine dining experiences.
    My personal "fun" fave's are the Murder mystery dinners. These are ALOT OF fun
    • Delicious 3-Course Dinner
    • Hilarious 2-1/2 Hour Show
    • New Identities for our Guests
    • Bribe Money (for clues)
    • Fashion Parade
    • Audience Participation &
    Interaction
    • Silver Slueth Award for whoever solves the crime.
    Shows every Sat. January thru November. Show time 7:30PM suggested arrival 7PM.
    December, Tues. thru Sun... some matinees.
    For Kid mysteries:
    Enjoy a magical theater experience with your kids at Who Stole the Magic Beans? , an exciting new interactive mystery-comedy for children
    • Yummy Lunch
    • Interactive Family Show
    • Fun Craft Activities
    • Prizes for all kids
    http://www.mysterymansion.com (480) 994-1520
    The last time I attended was 3 years ago, and it was 30.00/ticket/person. (all inclusive of a gr8 dinner activity)

In DOWNTOWN Phoenix, a "classy" fave is the compass room is a very elegant 'high-scale' restaraunt. (The kind ya gots ta git all purdied up fer! An' spind' lotsa muney'!)
    Info:
    Compass Room at The Hyatt Regency
    122 N Second St
    Phoenix, AZ 85004
    (602) 252-1234
    Editorial Review
    Arizona's only revolving restaurant offers remarkable sunsets and twinkling city lights for a night-on-the-town dining experience.

Of course mention of RawHide must be made!!! it's free admittance and a "total blast" for the imagination in complete COWBOY CHAOS!!! GREAT FUN FOR ALL AGES!!!! A MUST DO/SEE
    (like a miniature "Tombstone" in Scottsdale)
    In fact just the website for Rawhide will 'gitchyur' boots'a sheiotkickin' and toe'zies a tappin' ... diggit .. go to the website and turn up the volume...

Favorite Dish: form of dead animal (excluding pig!!!) and form of potato is ALWAYS MY FAVORITE!
    I so wish I had enough will restraint to be a vegetarian but... (as but ALWAYS negates what came before it...)I could never ever give up chicken!(very fond of turkey, too, now)... But am trying to give up red meat all together.
    To all you Vegans out there... God Bless you! You have my UTMOST RESPECT!

• susanpingu's Profile Photo

King Buffet: All you can eat

by susanpingu Written Dec 4, 2006

Satisfied customers walking out

After 3 weeks in Mexico, my taste buds wanted to switch to something non-Mexican.

I've had my share of buffet dining, and this one's pretty good. Lunch buffet @ $6.50 and a good variety of dishes, including sushi(though I didn't try the sushi here). Lots of meat and seafood, and we especially appreciated the cut fresh fruits since we had just walked in from Desert Botanical Garden.

• Anything and everything: The Compass Room

by redsquid Written Feb 14, 2005

Hello-
    I just wanted to let you and all of your readers know that the service at this restaurant is awful.
    We happened to go there for Valentine’s dinner and it was a total disaster.
    The place was extremely busy and I think this stressed out the staff because the hostess was very rude to us from the very second we arrived.
    She seated us in the absolute worst table they had. The waiters would not get us any water, so I had to ask. The food was over priced and cold when we finally did get it.
    All in all it turned out to be a total waste of time. We will never go back to this place again. I will also recommend to all of the people I know that they stay clear as well.
    Thank you.

Favorite Dish: This is the worst restaurant in Phoenix. Go to Durant's instead, you will be much happier you did.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Barmouche: Trendy place and great food

by goingsolo Updated Jan 15, 2005

this place reminded me of a south beach in terms of its decor but certainly not its attitude. The service was friendly and the food was great.

Favorite Dish: The restaurant has surprisingly "diner" style comfort food meals such as mac and cheese and meatloaf, which seem out of place with the cool setting. But there are other options and the seafood is great.

• Hometown Buffet: Go there when hungry and short of money

by ostbarn Updated Jun 11, 2004

Several in Phoenix Metro but I have only used the Scottsdale one. Very clean, all you can eat, choices change according to time of day (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner) price varies too from about $6 to$10. Ample seating, manager always around, table staff always cleaning, food very good quality. Two friends from England hardly ate anywhere else in 2 weeks.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast, Eggs scrambled and or poached, bacon, hashbrowns, cornedbeef hash,sausages,mushrooms,biscuits(US style) and gravy, breaded chicken, tea.coffee,juices,toast and jam or marmalade or honey and the breakfast 'period' lasts for about 3 hours! Fill your boots! (sorry, no carryouts)

• Chiky's Profile Photo

Anything and everything: A restaurant for every taste

by Chiky Written Feb 25, 2004

Mexican-Carlos O'Briens and Abuelo's, Chineese- Flo's and Shangri-La, American/ Burgers 5 & Diner and Hamburger Works, Greek- The Golden Greek, Italian- Molise and Red Devil, Sushi-Zen 32 and RA, Cajun- Voodoo Daddy's and Baby K's, Southwestern- Z' tejas, Variety- Cheesecake Factory, Native American- Indian Frybread House, Steak & Seafood- The Grill at the TPC and Joe's Crab Shack, Light Fare- Paradise Bakery and Wildflower Bread Company .... just for starters!

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Mosaic: Incredible wine selection...

by Agraichen Updated Nov 5, 2003

Very cosomopolitan...neveau. The architecture alone is worth the visit. And the chef...Deborah Knight....provides dishes that rate in the top 10 of the US.

Ms Knight is considered one the the "Top Rising Stars" in the restaurant business.

After her "internship" she made the break and opened her own place in her "home" town of Phoeniz.

The night visited is probably typical...at least for her sake I hope so...The place was full to capacity all night.

It is on my list of US Top 10......

Favorite Dish: I'm biased, but the steak was fantastic...but so was the shrimp...
    and the lamb ...
    and the lobster...
    according to my dining mates....

• Business Travel
    • Spa and Resort

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Richardson's Dinner: Home of the Original Green Chile Potato

by frankcanfly Updated Feb 26, 2003

You won't find this place in any of the tourist dining guides, you'll only find it through a local.

The cuisine is labeled as "New Mexico Cuisine", and that means flavorful varieties of several seafood dishes.

The friendly hostess took us on a tour of the kitchen after we asked some questions....

Reservations are recommended, but only accepted for groups of four or more.

Favorite Dish: I had a special: Chilean Sea Bass grilled with a Pine Nut Crust. It was my best meal in Phoenix. I also tasted the Red Chili Rottiserie Chicken, which had great flavor but came out a little bit cold.

Of course, the "Original Green Chile Potato" is delicious!!! It's included with most dishes.

• Business Travel

• Tagliani Cuchiani -...

by hidinginamer Written Aug 26, 2002

Tagliani Cuchiani - Italian
    Rositas - Mexican
    P.F. Changs - Chinese
    Slices - Pizza
    Charlies - Coffee

Favorite Dish: Tagliani's - Anything, probubly the best Italian restraunt in Phoenix.
    Risitas - Chicken Chimi w/ red sauce

Don Pabelo Down Town...

by shiran_d Written Aug 25, 2002

Don Pabelo

Down Town Pheonix,
    Pleople are very inviting and welcoming and was looking after us very well.

Loved it very much

Favorite Dish: The starter was a great big portion and it was more than enough for me.
    Nice plate of combos