Italian, Phoenix

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 7 Reviews

Chicken Gnocchi.
    by razorbacker
    Zuppa Toscana and breadstick.
    by razorbacker
  • 5-Cheese Ziti al Forno (front.) Chicken Gnocchi.
    5-Cheese Ziti al Forno (front.) Chicken...
  • HeidiR's Profile Photo

Franco's: Italian

by HeidiR Written Nov 30, 2003

This is a more upscale resterant than the usual in Phoenix. It serves good quality italian food, in a more expensive environment.

Meals start with italian bread served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar in their bottles.

The menu is quite extensive with pizza and pasta. I ate halibut and that was great. It came with a selection of vegetables plus a choice of a side pasta or potatoes.

Favorite Dish: Dessert was a delicious cheesecake

• acemj's Profile Photo

Oregano's Pizza Bistro: Oregano's Pizza Bistro

by acemj Written Aug 25, 2002

Definitely looks like a fun atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I never actually went to eat here, but my friend who lives here says it's great. It's across from Bank One Ballpark and a lot of the professional athletes frequent this place.

• AVSENT's Profile Photo

La Grande Orange Grocery: Great Pizza

by AVSENT Written Mar 19, 2011

I went to this place to try the pizza since, I've heard alot, about how delicious it can be. I looked at the prices and began searching for a snack or appetizer as I didn't want to pay that much for a pizza (wasn't sure about getting a whole pizza pie for myself, either). But, I reminded myself why I was there, and ordered the sausage and pepperoni. I was totally SHOCKED! I could not believe how good it tasted. I stopped myself from eating the whole thing so, I could take a couple of slices home (mmm, cold pizza-it was delicious the next day, too). It had a thin hard crust and was bursting with flavor from the garlic in the sauce and from the seasoned meat. Yes, parking is limited. They have a bakery and grocery store with an ice cream shop (gelato). Somewhat pricey but, the atmosphere in the restaurant is a nice perk. Can't find a better tasting pizza anywhere.

Favorite Dish: Pizza that is bursting with flavor.

• razorbacker's Profile Photo

The Gelato Spot: Dessert Lounge of Italy: Sinful Pleasure

by razorbacker Written Jul 29, 2009

M-m-m-m-m-mmmm!!!! All locations open at noon daily. The 2 northern stores close at 22:00, while the 2 southern shops close at 23:00. All locations stay open one hour later on Friday & Saturday nights.

Favorite Dish: Can't decide! It's ALL great!

• Pizza a Metro: A west side eatery must have!

by crazeyjoe Updated Oct 31, 2008

After all the hoopla surrounding Pizza a Metro on Thomas Rd and 23rd Ave, I had to give them a try. All I can say is magnifico!!!

I first ordered a salad (Insalata Mista) that had a variety of mixed greens and 2 large tomato slices with a very tasty vinegrette dressing. The meal also included what I would describe as a basket of Tuscan style flatbread cut into slices served with capanota. Then on to the pie.....

I ordered the pizza Margharita that features a thin crust with a slightly chunky tomato sauce with in house made mozzerella then fresh arugula scattered on top. I've eaten a lot of quality pies in my life (mostly in Brooklyn) and all I can say is that the flavor of this pie is so unique to anything else I've ever had. I would best describe it as a very fresh tasting pie. Pure Neaplolitan!

Favorite Dish: This was my first visit to Pizza a Metro and won't be my last!

Owner Maurizio Benforte is from Sorrento, Italy (near Naples) and has brought his talent to Phoenix for all to enjoy. I highly recommend this place!

They are opening a second restaurant in Scottsdale at 90th St and Via Linda (Amarone) in November 2008 that will be more of a full blown Italian restaurant than a pizzeria.

Pizza Margharita (regular) $12.95
    Insalata Mista $4.95

• Aaron7's Profile Photo

Primo's: Primo's (Italian)

by Aaron7 Updated Jun 11, 2004

This is a very nice restaurant with great food, hidden away in an unlikely place. It's hidden away in a strip mall along with a bagel store right next to taco bell and across from Basha's. It features gourmet cuisine with exquisite preparation at every step. The seasoned bread crusts made a nice, tasty if not spectacular start to the meal. The salad arrived and was certainly a step above most other restaurants. It featured a variety of leafy greens covered with a delicious house italian dressing and a waiter provided fresh cracked pepper to taste. The meal itself was similarly exquisite. All the members of our group were extremely happy with the pasta and meat preparation whether having ziti or marsala. The sauces all measured up extremely well. The portions were perfect, not so little that you felt cheated, but not so large that you felt over strained when they presented a desert menu. The desserts were also very good, though I was a bit disappointed with the cheesecake. It couldn't compare with a NY cheesecake. The others were happy with thier tiramisu and sorbet though.

Favorite Dish: The seafood ravioli. It's not listed on the menu aside from a quick blurb "Ask about our ravioli". But it is great. It comes with a sweet cheese sauce, and the portion is just the right size.

• razorbacker's Profile Photo

Olive Garden: Zuppa E Insalata

by razorbacker Written Sep 26, 2013
    5-Cheese Ziti al Forno (front.) Chicken Gnocchi.

One of my favorite "comfort meals" is the soup & salad at Olive Garden. Most often we go to the one at 4868 E. Cactus Road in Scottsdale, just eastv of the Paradise Valley Mall, but these pictures were taken at the Metrocenter location.

Favorite Dish: Oh, I like just about anything at Olive Garden. They used to have great swordfish, but it's nbeen years since I've seen THAT on the menu. Most often I just love the soup & salad meal. Love the breadsticks. My favorite soups are the Zuppa Toscana and the Chicken Gnocchi.

Instant Answers: Phoenix