It was founded in 1881 by Franciscan Monks, who served the parish since 1895. The church was completed in 1915, and renovated in late 1980's. Francisican Frairs still practice here and learn the teaching of the Word. They basilica opened to public viewing in 2002, to promote this reknowned Roman Catholic church, and introduce the history and fame.
Donations help support this effort
The oldest catholic church in Phoenix was once visited by Pope John Paul II. There are a number of beautiful churches in downtown Phoenix, most built in the Pueblo style.