Getting Around Phoenix

• Sky Harbor Airport-getting there by plane
    by Basaic
  • Transportation
    by pginer
    Long range of airport area
    by BruceDunning

Most Viewed Transportation in Phoenix

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Excellent Shuttle Service

by Gillybob Written Jan 24, 2014

I used Arizona Shuttle to travel from Phoenix to Flagstaff, then on to Grand Canyon Village as well as a return journey from Grand Canyon Village to Flagstaff.

I was impressed by the service; during the journey from Phoenix to Flagstaff, we hit a traffic jam on the interstate and would have arrived in Flagstaff after the shuttle to Grand Canyon Village had departed. The shuttle driver contacted the Flagstaff office and arranged to drop me at Flagstaff Airport in time to connect with the shuttle to Grand Canyon Village there.

My fare for the shuttle journey from Phoenix to Flagstaff was US$38.00 in October 2011 which I found to be a very reasonable fare.

The shuttle terminal in Phoenix is located at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport with drop-off in Flagstaff at the Amtrak Station.

If you are local to the area, you can get a Frequent Rider ID.

• kehale's Profile Photo

Light Rail Train

by kehale Written May 28, 2012

During our stay in Phoenix, we were staying at a hotel close to the airport. After inquiring at the front desk, we were told that the LRT station was just a couple of blocks away. We walked there and were pleased that it was only $3.50 a person to ride all day (the little one was free of course). This was incredible, considering the cost to ride public transit in our home cities (of Toronto and Boston) is much more expensive. It was easy to travel to where we needed to go, and were pleased with the cleanliness and of the system! Very useful and easy to navigate as well.

• Scottsdale Trolley

by dshinkle Updated Apr 4, 2011

The best way to see downtown Scottsdale (which you should not miss) is to take the trolley. That way you won't miss anything and you won't be too tired to shop.

"The trolley is a free circulator service traveling through Scottsdale’s historic Old Town, Main Street Arts District, Marshall Way Arts District, Fifth Avenue Shops and Scottsdale Fashion Square. "

Park at Fashion Square Mall and catch the trolley there. See the following map...

• KazigluBey's Profile Photo

Motorcycle

by KazigluBey Updated Apr 4, 2011

Phoenix offers 365 day a year motorcycle riding weather!

If you don't own a bike, or can bring your's, you can rent the Great American motorcycle "Harley Davidson" from a number of outlets in the city.

Altough, I've owned several, I have never rented so I can't help you with rates.

People who have rented have told me it is reasonably priced.

I'm supplying a link, but there are several other places that also rent.

Live Free! :)

• Motorcycle

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Phoenix Metro Rail

by jumpingnorman Written Jun 30, 2009

Phoenix Metro Rail
    Yes, we now do have a fast, quick and easy 20-mile rail route from Mesa to Tempe to downtown Phoenix (as of 2009) – with an available route to Phoenix Sky harbor International Airport.

I have never found the need to use this since I drive myself around, but for visitors (and even locals), this may be an easy way to go around. It runs 365 days a year and open on weekdays from 440 AM to 11PM, and weekends from 5 AM to 11PM…and fares are $1.25 each way with all day pass for only $2.50…and several other deals that can be found at www.valleymetro.org

Times from Downtown Phoenix
    To Downtown Tempe (23 minutes)
    To Downtown Mesa (37 minutes)
    Phoenix Sky Harbor (14 minutes)

• LaceyAdkisson's Profile Photo

Phoenix to Home (Los Angeles)

by LaceyAdkisson Updated Apr 2, 2009

The Airport I would say was nice. Other than the $15 dollar charge for baggage check I didn't mind it at all. Before you even go through security there were all sorts of restaurants and shops. From Mc Donalds to Chili's, and little Mexican food places. I ate at one of the small venues and had a GIANT platter of exploding nachos! By the way not a great idea when getting on the plane next to a stranger. lol
    I flew US Airways, there was a slight delay but nothing serious. I was not impressed by the inside of the plane AT ALL. NO screens for movies, and bad service from flight attendance. They acted like it was a burden if you said yes for wanting a drink.
    And the WORST part was the pilot, on the runway going fast for take off the plane started shaking! I grabbed the strange man next to me and he said, "don't grab me! I'm more scared than you are!" That didn't reassure me in anyway. The worst part about it was the pilot never announced why we started shaking and the attendance didn't check on us. I didn't like that at all.
    On our descent there was VERY heavy turbulence. And again no word as to why or ask if we needed anything. Maybe I'm just a plane snob but I thought it was terrible and dont want to fly U.S. Airways for those reasons.

• Business Travel

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Desert Ridge Area Revolving Transport

by jumpingnorman Written Nov 18, 2008

The Desert Ridge is nice outdoor mall complex on Tatum Road (off the 101) near Scottsdale. There is a neighborhood circulator called DART which was started by the City of Phoenix Public Transit Department. The DART's route includes the Mayo Clinic-Phoenix campus, JW Marriot Desert Ridge resort and Spa, Pinnacle High School, Explorer Middle School, and SUMCO.

DART operates 6AM-10PM, Mon-Sat and 6AM-8PM on Sundays/holidays.

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

The cabs in Phoenix

by lashr1999 Written Mar 3, 2006

What can be said is the drivers do know how to get you where you are going. At least they do with the GPS systems most of the cabs are outfitted with. However, the cab rides in Phoenix seem to be more expensive then in other parts of the US and even the world. New York, London, France, Egypt and Amsterdam prices do not compare to this high cost. For example the 10 minute cab ride from my home to work cost me $8. However, the same ride in Phoenix for the same wait time and distance would probably cost $20. That is more than double. I tried several cabs companies in the Phoenix area and the results were the same with each.

Bottom Line: Seriously in this city you should consider a rental car to get to the places you want to go. The cabs are equipped with credit card machines because frankly you will probably require it

• Karnubawax's Profile Photo

Prepare to be screwed on your rental car!

by Karnubawax Written Jan 4, 2005

A dirty little secret about Phoenix is that it is one of the most expensive cities in the USA to rent a car.

On top of the already high weekly rates is a bewildering array of fees and taxes. If you are planning a road trip around Arizona lasting longer than a week, than you may wish to seriously consider flying into Las Vegas (or even Salt Lake City) and renting your car there rather than in Phoenix.

Here's an example:

3-week rental from thrifty.com (Dodge Neon)...

Las Vegas
    $89.99/wk + taxes = $429.53

Phoenix
    $149.99/wk + taxes = $703.10!!!

That's a savings of $270!!!! As for me, I'll drive a little out of my way to save that kind of money!

• HeidiR's Profile Photo

Travelling by car

by HeidiR Written Sep 19, 2003

Travelling by car is easy in Phoenix. Its quite hard to get lost. All the main roads run from North to South, and East to West, so as long as you know the general direction there are countless number of ways to find your way somewhere.

The main highways are I-10, 101 Price Highway (North, South), 202, 143, 17, 60.

Moving from the 60 to the 10 can feel like you are on a scale electrics track as you go up in the air!

• pginer's Profile Photo

TRAM: very useful to go around

by pginer Written Feb 15, 2011

Very rare in american cities: a tram!!!! and very useful. It crosses all the city and even goes (or it is going to go: not sure) to the University!

• Trains

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Taxis Cost Bucks

by BruceDunning Written Dec 27, 2010

Taxis will take you around obviously, but you pay the price. From the airport, read to costs on the picture.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Antique Air Navigation Methods

by frankcanfly Written Feb 25, 2003

Leftover from the days prior to electronic navigational aids, this sign East of Phoenix guides pilots to their destination.

Phoenix Hotels

Yum Yum Tree Guesthouse
1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Feb 4, 2004

Instant Answers: Phoenix

Comments

Phoenix Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Phoenix locals.
Map of Phoenix