Scottsdale Restaurants

• EllenH's Profile Photo

Roy's: Heaven on a plate

by EllenH Updated Apr 4, 2011

melting chocolate souffle

This is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to.
    On the recommendation of the owner/chef restaurant where I work and a co-worker as well, I decided to splurge a little and take the family to Roy's. It is very nice fine dining, they call it Hawian fusion, and they use the freshest ingredients available. The appetizers were outstanding, potstickers with chipotle cream, bbq baby back ribs that the meat fell right off of, shrimp with wasabi cocktail sauce. The entrees were also amazing, mahi mahi with lobster butter and pork pot roast with teriyaki sauce that fell apart it was so tender. Reservations highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: The most amazing part was dessert. Melting chocolate souffle, you have to order it with your meal because it is made to order. The timing of the courses in this restaurant was perfect and the service was outstanding.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Salty Senorita: Not a family place!

by Yaqui Updated Jun 29, 2009

NOT a family place, but a great place if you’re a single looking to hang out with friends or to meet someone. It was loud and didn't really have a great menu for kids, but I will say they tried very hard to accommodate our kids and the service was ok. The drinks were great and the adult food was not bad. Yet, the ambience is not exactly for children. We had no idea what the place was like, but made the best of it. They do have valet parking which was cheap since parking is at its premium in the downtown area.
    Open Daily 11am-1am

• Photography

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Sugar Bowl: Old Fashion Palor!

by Yaqui Written Aug 14, 2007

Loved this place and so did my boys. We had some old fashion sugar bowl ice cream, while my boys had fries. It is right in the historical down town area and close to all the neat shopping.

Favorite Dish: Sugar Bowl Menumenu

• starship's Profile Photo

The Grapevine Restaurant: Best Little Armenian Restaurant in Arizona!

by starship Updated May 16, 2008

The downstairs patio

Both times we have had lunch in Old Downtown Scottsdale it has been at "The Grapevine." This restaurant serves 'al fresco' on its lower shaded, breezy level or on the upper level sun deck. We have tried each and I prefer the lower level which was very pleasant even though the temperature was in the high 80's that day.

The Grapevine offers a varied menu of sandwiches, soups & salads, burgers, a little Mexican food, a little Italian and even FONDUES!. But what catches your eye on the menu are the "Lahvosh" dishes! Lahvosh's are a Grapevine speciality with several to choose from: original, royal, tropical and even Louisiana Cajun! What's a Lahvosh you ask? (I did too.) It's Armenian cracker bread topped with a variety of cheeses, meats, veggies or fruits similar to a pizza. The Lahvoshs range from a mini, cheese only at $10.00 (feeds one person) to a Tropical or Cajun which are $19 and feeds two. I would have normally expected to find this type of dish to be available in a city such as New York, but I must say I was surprised to find it in Arizona!

As I was in the mood for Mexican food, I ordered the chicken burrito which was so large it nearly filled my plate! It came topped with melted cheese and refried beans, rice, lettuce, tomato and sour cream all for $8.95. The other family members ordered a Southwestern Club (smoked turkey, PLUS lots more and wrapped in a flour tortilla ($8.95); and a very large chicken caesar salad ($8.95).

No one in our family ordered this but I had to wonder whether the "Two Alarm Pecos River Red Chili" topped with cheddar cheese, sour cream and scallions ($6.50) is as hot as it sounds. I might try it next time around!! MAYBE!!

Service was quick and friendly and portions are huge! Opens at 11:00 am daily!

Favorite Dish: Both times we've eaten at the Grapevine Restaurant we have enjoyed our meals. I am sure if we had been in town longer during this trip, we would have returned to the Grapevine! They also have a Piano Bar and Happy Hour specials, Monday - Friday from 4 to 7 pm.

Lo Cascio: Great Italian Mecca

by BruceDunning Written Dec 28, 2010

Night picture of the restaurant

The prices are reasonable for the Scottsdale area, and this is on the south end of the old town area, or about 2 miles form Hwy 202 intersection. The pastas dishes range from $10-18 for most items, and pollo (chicken) dishes about $12-17. Pizzas are another specialty, and prices range form $14 for large thin crust to $22 for stuffed large size.
    I stopped here because a big sign outside stated spaghetti in the bar for $6 on Sundays. That is a great price, and then the beer was also only $2 a pint, so easier to have a few of those.
    They have been in business at this location since 1985, and are true Sicilian Italianos, including the flag hanging on the wall.

Favorite Dish: I had the spaghetti and sausage, and it was one of the best sauces in my many eats at Italian places, even in Italy. It was sweet but had a lot of substance and taste. The sausage was super tasty in addition. People next to me ordered pasta dishes and liked the meal very much

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Casino Arizona Eagles Buffet: Buffet at only $17.50 in a casino!

by jumpingnorman Updated May 17, 2009

The buffet at Casino Arizona

So, it's 12 noon and we just checked out of Village Mirage - May 17, 2009 Sunday...We're headed off for the Tempe Lake but see Casino Arizona along the way (was it about 10 miles away from the resort) - brunch buffet anyone?

I also just had my 10,000th HIT on Virtual Tourist through Vter Saccharinicity! And I'm still only on my 9th month as a rookie (Rookie #1 for over 12 weeks I think now)....yoohoo!

We have eaten in numerous restaurants in Scottsdale and some of the prices can be restrictive to most. But if you're really hungry, head off to this buffet.

The breakfast selection is awe3some with bacon, sausage and egg prepared in so many cheesy styles --- there goes my swimming exercises yesterday! There are also lots of fish - salmon - and steak of course. The salad bar is like wise good...and the dessert I still have to sample because we are still eating as I am writing this (netbook is convenient, but security told me not to use it near the slot machines).

My 5 year old twins are with us and they are free - adults are $17.50 only. The area we passed by did not smell of smoke at all, unlike some Vegas casinos we been to.

Of course the buffet is smaller here than in Vegas, but the atmosphere is cosy, clean and very cool (considering that it is 100 degrees outside).

Interestingly, most of the waitresses are from China and ours was "Hua" who is a nice lady and the twins said thank you to her in Chinese.

Of course, you can also bet on the game "keno" while eating (just as in Vegas) - my grandma won $6000 once doing that. But I am not much of a gambler but I might hand over some cash for my wife to play while I watch the kids later (or maybe the other way around, hehehe)....

Favorite Dish: the salmon was cooked okay - lots of choices...and they still had breakfast available at 12 noon

• Casino and Gambling

• susiemargare's Profile Photo

carefree station grill and bar, carefree, AZ: wonderful fancy lunch in a casual atmosphere

by susiemargare Updated Nov 1, 2005

this was a very nice restaurant with a casual rather than formal atmosphere. the tables have heavy linen tablecloths, plus real silverware and cloth napkins -- a lovely environment. there is an extensive wine list. the service was friendly and fast. the only drawback to my visit was that the reception hostess was very snooty!

the restaurant is open on weekdays from 11 am to 9 pm, on saturdays and sundays from 11 am to 10 pm.

go north from scottsdale on scottsdale road; there will be desert on both sides of you. from darlington road (which is what scottsdale road turns into), turn right onto ho street. restaurant is on the left side of the "spanish village" shops, go in thru the sculpture garden, past the bodega bistro and tapas bar.

Favorite Dish: i had the diablo burger, which was LARGE. it had a spicy/peppery taste with just a little char. it was terrific, well done but nicely juicy. it came with two side items. i chose greens and french fries. the greens had a peppery vinaigrette-type dressing; the fries were the skinny kind but were cooked to just the right degree of crispiness (not welded solid, like some places).

before the hamburger came, the server brought a fabulous dinner roll to the table. it was homemade, thick, and almost square. it was crisp but not brown. the butter had just the slightest tinge of spiciness.

with a soft drink, my meal was approximately $13.

• Wine Tasting
    • Desert

• ArizonaExpert's Profile Photo

Furio: Another Downtown Treasure

by ArizonaExpert Written Dec 20, 2004

Another lesser-known place to eat is Furio. Hidden by many large chain places in the area, Furio creates some excellent dishes in a quaint, but contemporary environment. I have had 4 different dishes there, and send many parties, all of whom were more than satisfied. There are several large booths, and a small outdoor area when the weather is just right...which is most of the time.

Favorite Dish: They change the menu regularly, and will cook to order, with substitutions and special requests (at least they try to accomodate).

The Lodge: Local Hidden Wonder-Pub/Bar

Sasquathches out front

The food was all great; one of the best burgers I had in a long while. Most burgers and sandwiches are $8-9 price. Look for the happy hour (3-7PM), though when beer is $3 a pint, and a burger and beer $6 total, and that cannot be beat around here. Also, the appetizers are then 1/2 price

Favorite Dish: You probably need to try the burgers, which range from $8-16, depending on the load you put on it.

Rusty Spur: Rusty Old Spur

by BruceDunning Written Dec 28, 2010

Inside of the bar/restaurant

It really is a lower end drinking place, though no draught beer on tap. A bottle was $3; reasonable. The taco I had was simply okay, but not great. They are not here to promote the food, but to sell drinks. The food prices for burgers is about $8, and tacos $7.50, for the most part.
    Cowboy hats are seen here, and locals and out of town tourists try to merge together. The locals ignore the tourists, and there surely are some goofy one I am sure come inside and act like a "tourist"
    The building was a bank until 1923, when it closed, After that is was Chamber of Commerce, and eventually became a bar/cafe in 1958, the first in town. The decor looks mostly unchanged since then. It felt "dingy" inside and not cleaned for a while.

Favorite Dish: The beef tacos was what I had, and they were mundane but filled me up.

Chicago Hamburger Company: Chicago Hot Dog/Slider Heaven

by BruceDunning Updated Dec 28, 2010

Sign on Indian School Rd.

The menu was good enough to have some of it all. The deluxe hot dogs are $4-5 range, and the sliders 92 cents, but the burgers of larger 1/3 to 2/3 sizes is $4-6.55 prices. Fries are $2-3 more, and then drinks are about $2. So, the eat price would average about $10 by the time you get satisfied. That then gets to be high end for a fast food type.
    If you feel like competing with White Castle fame of throwing down a bunch of cheap onion tasting burgers about the size of a half dollar, try 10 sliders for $8.50 after 4PM each day

Favorite Dish: I liked the 2/3 pound burger a lot; tasty, and the fires were good.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

The Gelato Spot: Yummy Gelato Ice Cream; free wi-fi

by jumpingnorman Written Jul 5, 2009

Twins at The Gelato Spot, Scottsdale, Arizona

So, we just finished watching the Tempe Lake fireworks and we were checked in at a resort in Scottsdale --- it was almost 11PM but we wanted some ice cream!

Thank God for The Gelato Spot along Scottsdale Road in Old Town which was still open! This place still had a lot of people and there was a small parking lot at the back which I think it shared with a nearby art gallery.

Service was friendly and the gelato was awesome! Gelato is ice cream with less fat and purer taste (only 2-8% fat whereas our American ice cream has 30%!). They are made daily and are fresh, garnished with fresh fruits, nuts, chocolate and Italian veggies.

In the mornings, this place also had breakfast through the Pascucci Coffee House (breakfast 0700-1030 AM).

This also has branches in Phoenix (40 St and Greenway beside Starbucks), Biltmore (Camelback and 32 St at Safeway), and North Scottsdale (Scottsdale Rd and Shea at Harkins).

They also have free Wi-Fi!

4166 N Scottsdale Rd
    480 425-8100
    Gelatospot.com

Favorite Dish: pistacchio was awesome

• susiemargare's Profile Photo

los olivos: fabulous mexican food!

by susiemargare Updated Oct 30, 2005

this is a fairly large restaurant, divided into individual rooms so that it doesn't appear so large. it has been there for a long time, and both locals and tourists go there. mariachi singers wander through.

the hostess at the door scowled the whole time i was there (at other people as well as me), but the servers were friendly, fast, and helpful with suggestions.

the restaurant is open sunday through thursday from 11 am to 10 pm, on friday and saturday from 11 am to 11 pm. i don't know if they take reservations; i arrived without one.

Favorite Dish: when you sit down, they bring tortilla chips with hot and medium salsa.

i ordered white flour tortillas with my dinner. these were enormous, very good, and just the right mix of crispy and soft.

i had chicken picada, which was pieces of chicken with rice, refried beans, and
    green peppers. it was great. the portions were quite generous. with a soft drink, this cost
    about $15.

i am pretty sure they have beer, but i can't remember about wine.

• Desert

Black Forest Haus: Old Time Authentic German Food

by BruceDunning Updated Dec 28, 2010

Sign on the street to Draw you in

It was fantastic and authentic German fare. The schnitzels range about $13-18, and other specialties are $12-20 price. I also got sausages next door as well as cheese and black bread for $4 a loaf for my daily lunches when hiking. They were all hand made and the bread was super

Favorite Dish: The Bauren Schmaus was great, and plentiful for sure. The Germans do not get stingy on serving sizes. This was roast pork, smoked pork and beef roulade. Side dumplings and bread are for me. Price was $15

Rokerj-Richardson's: Richardson-Rokerj is Coming Back

Logo of the restaurants

The menu has breakfast from 7-4PM and prices are $10-20. Most items are $15-30 for lunch. Try dinner out for around $30-50 range for steaks & chops. The menu if filled with so much to choose from that it is mind boggling. It includes Rokerj and Richardson's items combined and takes up about 6 pages of food selections.
    The inside was dark and too unattractive for my suitability.
    Richardson's burned down a couple of years ago, and recently added its meal fare to Rokerj while they are rebuilding another restaurant close by.

Favorite Dish: We had the flat bread pizza type. It was good, but not outstanding. Or companions had appetizer of sausages and a salad to split between them. The food was okay, at best, and much overrated given the name and following of locals to flock here to see/be seen?
    So I say the flat bread was our favorite-the price was a factor since I do not like getting ripped off for a meager and mediocre meal

Instant Answers: Scottsdale

Comments

Scottsdale Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Scottsdale restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Scottsdale sightseeing.