Know about this? Rate It!
The Wilson Mountain trail is a 2.8 mile trek up 2400 feet to the rim of an overlook which provides a spectacular view of Oak Creek canyon and the surrounding mountains.
The first part of the hike is nearly straight uphill. This is walk through desert with lots of cacti, manzanita, and juniper trees. The desert gives way to a lush forest with tall pines, ferns and wildflowers. This foliage cools off the trail in the hotter summer months. The overlook is located at the north edge of the mountain.Although the climb is arduous the views are phenomenal from the top.
From Phoenix, take I-17 north to Hwy 179 (exit 298). Turn left onto 179 and follow it past the Village of Oak Creek to the Sedona (Burger King) "Y". Turn right at the "Y" onto North 89A. Take this about 1.1 miles until you cross the huge metal bridge (Midgley Bridge).
The parking lot is on the left side of the road immediately past the bridge, and the trailhead is to the right near the picnic tables with a sign marked "Wilson Mountain #10."
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save up to 60% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
Sedona Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Aibonito Hotels
- Futog Hotels
- Ko Man Nok Hotels
- São Paulo
- Beacon Rock State Park Hotels
- Copenhagen Off The Beaten Path
- Santa Barbara Off The Beaten Path
- Monterey Off The Beaten Path
- Banff Off The Beaten Path
- Cincinnati Off The Beaten Path
- Newport Off The Beaten Path
- Alaska Off The Beaten Path
- London Off The Beaten Path
- Hamburg Off The Beaten Path
- Townsville Off The Beaten Path
- Delhi Off The Beaten Path
- Strasbourg Off The Beaten Path