Vortexes & Spirituality, Sedona

by Karnubawax
  • soulseeker2000's Profile Photo

Spiritual Retreat

by soulseeker2000 Updated Feb 15, 2012

I just came back from doing a SpiritQuest Retreat in Sedona. I can't overstate how much I loved this beautiful place and the people I met there. I've traveled widely and have never been anywhere that can match scenery in Sedona.

I really wanted to take a more spiritual vacation this year. Boy did I hit the jackpot! The owners of SpiritQuest put together a spiritual retreat itinerary based on my goals and budget. They took care of all the details and it was absolutely perfect for what I wanted. I stayed at a luxurious bed and breakfast called Casa Sedona. I ate very healthy meals at a nice vegan restaurant nearby called D'Lish.

Best of all I got to experience the work of some truly amazing spiritual healers. My favorite part of the trip was a visit to some of Sedona's vortex sites. I have to admit I was a bit of a sceptic at first, but after visiting the sites I'm convinced that there really is something special about these places. I can't really explain it, except to say that I've never felt so good. Altogether, it was a deeply spiritual experience that I will never forget!

• Archeology
    • Women's Travel

• Sedona Airport Mesa Vortex

by virtualkim Written Oct 22, 2009

My hubby & I were in Sedona this past Sept. & we went to Airport Mesa Vortex one day. It was incredibly gorgeous. But not only was the natural beauty breathtaking, I felt something. I cant say exactly what it was but it was something. We were standing on the rock looking out at all the amazing landscape & I suddenly felt cool. It was NOT cool that day! The sun was beating down upon us & it was warm! But for whatever reason...I suddenly felt a coolness upon me. It was quite strange. I have no logical explanation. I dont know if this is a normal vortex experience?? We've never been here before so I dont know. I just know what I felt. It's an incredibly lovely place & we want to return one day. I hope everyone gets to experience this place at some time in their lives. Anyone else have a COOLING experience at the vortexes??? I'd love to hear about it.

• SedonaDee's Profile Photo

Personal Meditation Classes

by SedonaDee Updated Jun 23, 2009

While visiting Sedona, why not plan to take a Meditation class? You can either join a class, or the instructor can come to you, your organization, or family. Meditation 101, Primoridial Sound Meditations, and other classes are offered. Their website details the upcoming classes, registration online, costs, FAQs, and much more.

This Virtual Tourist Member has not taken these meditation classes yet, but plan to put it on my agenda, because they are very popular and getting good reviews by those who have attended.

• Women's Travel
    • Spa and Resort

• Exploring Cathedral Rock

by trekker11 Updated Mar 21, 2007

Cathedral Rock is one of my favorite spots in Sedona. Having lived there for 6 years, I was able to explore every corner of Sedona - it's not that big!
    Cathedral Rock is considered a vortex or energy spot in Sedona. It is one of the best places to sit and relax (read, mediate, have lunch) on a warm red rock, while soaking your feet in the cool Oak Creek that runs through the area. A popular site for weddings, you can enjoy the nuptuals from a distance or hike aliong the creek and find a quiet, out of the way spot for yourself. The hike up the formation is a great hike for the beginner (take your time) or the experienced hiker and the views from the top are stunning (as are all the views in Sedona). Sedona is filled with energy - so be prepared to feel "energized."
    The legend of Cathedral Rock is a favorite of mine as well - any local will be happy to tell the story. After a day at the rock - be sure to head over to the Coffee Pot restaruant (a local and tourist favorite and a "must do" in Sedona) and say hi to the Daher family while enjoying some of the best food at the best prices in the area. Peace.

Karnubawax's Guide to Vortexes

by Karnubawax Written Jan 27, 2006

Sedona is famous for its vortexes. What is a vortex? From the scientific point of view, it is an "area of enhanced linear energy flow." There are 2 types - masculine (flowing up) and feminine (flowing down). The New Age community sees them as "energy centers," where the energy resonates with the person and helps to create spiritual awareness and healing experiences. The Native Americans considered this area to be sacred ground, whether they believed in vortexes or not.

Whether you believe in them or not, the vortex sites are, at the very least, beautiful, and afford wonderful views of the area.

There are 4 main vortex sites: Airport Mesa, Cathedral Rock, Bell Rock, and Boynton Canyon. All of them except Boynton Canyon are easy walks - less than a mile. Boynton Canyon is much farther - about 3-4 miles each way - but you don't have to go that far. You'll need a Red Rock parking permit to go to any of these places. You can get them at the Visitors' Center and other places around Sedona for $5 per day. While you are there, pick up the FREE handout on vortexes, describing what and where (generally) they are. Enjoy it. It'll be the last free thing you'll see in Sedona!

Now... I went to all of them, and I can honestly say that there was only one place where I felt anything like what is described as the "vortex experience." That was at the beginning of the Boynton Canyon hike, near a outcropping of rock called "The Katchina Woman." Guidebooks are, of course, very vague as to where exactly the vortexes are - they are not marked on the Earth with a big 'X.' They are, like, wherever you feel 'em, man. Some spots, though, are more proven than others, and there are scads of books available - some at the visitors' center - that go into more detail.

• Karnubawax's Profile Photo

Boynton Canyon (Vortex 4)

'X' marks the spot!

Boynton Canyon - the longest of the vortex hikes - is believed to be about emotional, spiritual and physical balance, combining both upflow and inflow energy. This was the only place I had anything like the "vortex experience."

They say you can't pinpoint the location of a vortex exactly. Nonsense! It's right there (see photo)! Right in that little patch of flat space in front of the outcropping of rock known as "The Katchina Woman." The location is right near the beginning of the hike. When standing in this spot, I definitely felt a tingling sensation followed by unexpected giddyness. The views on the other side of the formation are awesome.

The first thing you pass on the hike is the sprawling Enchantment Resort. Unfortunately, you can't cut through the property, unless, of course, you're staying there. The Katchina Woman is right around here. As you keep going back into the canyon, you'll see amazing (and strange) things. There's a really cool dome right past the resort. As you continue into the woods, you may suddenly come across large areas of stacked rocks. Although obviously made by hikers, it's still pretty cool. Finally you arrive at the end of the hike in a gorgeous, deep canyon - a great place to eat lunch.

• Karnubawax's Profile Photo

Cathedral Rock (Vortex 3)

by Karnubawax Written Jan 27, 2006

Okay, I only saw this one from the road. But, according to lore, climb up it (be careful!) and reconnect to your spiritual roots - good for you stressed out types!

There are several approaches to Cathedral Rock. One requires you to cross the creek to get there. You can get directions from that free handout from the Visitors' Center.

Bell Rock (Vortex 2)

Bell Rock

Bell rock is located 5 miles south of the 'Y.' It is REALLY easy to find and you can either look up at it or scramble up it. Some say that sudden bursts of energy and emotional uplift are common experiences. Keep an eye on the weather though. I got almost to the top before I was hit by a torrential downpour!

Airport Mesa (Vortex 1)

by Karnubawax Written Jan 27, 2006

As you have probably guessed, airport mesa is located at the airport. The views into Sedona are spectacular, and indeed, I would make this your first stop. There's ample parking at the top (watch out for the killer speed bump!). There will probably be lots of other folks there admiring the view, and some local artisans pedalling cheap (quality, not prices) souveniers.

There is a trail that goes around the backside of the airport that is well worth the hike. You get some great views looking south towards bell rock. I think the whole thing is, like, 2 miles, but check a map.

• madamx's Profile Photo

Vortexes

by madamx Updated May 2, 2005

Bell Rock

It will become quite apparent once you arrive in Sedona , if you didn't know already, that it is a major centre of the New Age movement. Signs abound for offers of angelic healing, tarot readings, soul recovery and aural readings, and I could go on and on. Sedona is also known for it's vortexes.

A vortex is a site where the earth's unseen powers intersect to form a beneficial powerful energy.

One vortex is located at Bell Rock, and we headed out there, curious to experience a vortex, plus we wanted to get out and do some hiking. Bell Rock is known to contain "masculine" energy, to boost emotional, physical and spiritual energy.

I must say that as we sat and gazed out on a high point on Bell rock, I felt peaceful and serene. You get a glorious view of Sedona and it's surrounding red rocks. However, I usually feel peaceful and serene after reaching a summit of a hiking trail. Maybe there are vortexes in other places than Sedona?

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Small Mormon settlement?

by Jerelis Written Mar 25, 2005

Entering the city of Sedona.

About 50 years ago the city of Sedona was a small Mormon settlement. The contrast formed by the naked red rocks and the luxurious green vegetation surrounding it, tributed to the arrival of artistic and spiritual people.

Right now you'll find a lot of galleries and exclusive boutiques. We dis some window shopping, bought our first souvenirs and had a great turkey sandwich at Sedona Memories in Jordan Road.

• Spa and Resort
    • Desert

• Jonathan_C's Profile Photo

Center for the New Age

by Jonathan_C Written Sep 11, 2004

Center for the New Age

New Age spiritualism is big business in Sedona and the 'Center for the New Age' is your site for one stop New Age shopping. They've got a store filled with books and crystals and everything else you need to awaken your inner self. They also provide services such as vortex tours, aura cleansing and chakra balancing. They even do weddings as described on their web site:

Weddings performed at the Center are intimate and meaningful and can be arranged at a moment's notice.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Hiking in Boynton Canyon just...

by goingsolo Updated May 6, 2004

the famous red rock formations of Boynton Canyon

Hiking in Boynton Canyon just outside of Enchantment Resort. This area is known for powerful energy centers, or vortexes. New Age followers believe that a vortex can enhance creativity and enable you to see your true self.

• stopatnothin's Profile Photo

here is something I did not...

by stopatnothin Written Aug 25, 2002

here is something I did not witness but I will pass along the tip . Sedona is purportedly home to several vortexes , electromagnetic energy fields emitting upward from the earth . Some of the more popular sites include the Airport Hill , Bell Rock , Boynton Creek and Cathedral Rock vortexes .

• Light1's Profile Photo

For all your 'metaphysical'...

by Light1 Updated Aug 24, 2002

For all your 'metaphysical' tools, please shop at my favorite store... Crystal Magic
    They have it all: crystals and stones for every purpose, books, CD's, video sales and rentals, massage tables and tools, musical instruments, greeting cards, religious icons, clothes, jewelery, shoes, incense, items for kids, and so much more. The owner searches for the best affordable items and the employees care for each item as they price and place them on display... a real service to the sensitive people who live in and visit Sedona.

Instant Answers: Sedona