Sierra Vista Restaurants

• Basaic's Profile Photo

My Big Fat Greek Restaurant: Greek Food with Atmosphere

by Basaic Updated Apr 21, 2014

My Big Fat Greek Restaurant

Update April 2014: This place has closed.
    My Big Fat Greek Restaurant has a great atmosphere with fairly dark lighting and dark walls with murals of Greek Statues and travel scenes. The staff wears black pants and white shirts and occasionally dances through the dining area, arm in arm to Greek Music, moving faster and faster. The dance climaxes with someone in the kitchen breaking a plate. Sometimes a patron or two will join them in the dance. The food was well-prepared and presented in an attractive manner.

Favorite Dish: I had the Mousaka which was good (the side dishes were better). Athena had the Souvlaki which tasted great. Very good Ouzo!

• Business Travel

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Daisy Mae's Stronghold: Great Steakhouse

by Basaic Updated Apr 21, 2014

Daisy Mae's

Update: April 2014. Daisy Mae's an icon here in Sierra Vista has closed.
    Daisy Mae's Stronghold is a steakhouse in Sierra Vista located at 332 N. Garden Avenue next to the Sun Canyon Inn. It is open from 4 PM to 9:30 PM Monday through Thursday; 4 PM to 10 PM Friday and Saturday; and 4 PM to 9 PM on Sunday. They serve Mesquite Grilled Steaks and Daisy Mae's was voted one of the 25 best steakhouses in the US. Daisy Mae's serves lunch and dinner. Two dinner entrees and a drink will run you a little over $30. Portions are generous; and the food is very good. There is also a full service bar. Daisy Mae's is an historic landmark. It was here during the time of the old west, and was a brothel serving Fort Huachuca. There is a story that one of the rooms is haunted by the ghost of a dead prostitute. Photo(s) soon.

Favorite Dish: The Mesquite Grilled Steak or the Teriyaki Steak. Great ribs too.

Panda Express: Samurai Surf & Turf

by Africancrab Written May 26, 2013

Today, my husband, son and I stopped by the Panda Express Store #1828 for an early lunch. We had just finished shopping for a few items at Walmart, we decided we had not eaten at a Panda express in a while so we crossed the Walmart parking lot to the food store.

The service team greeted us as we walked through the door and immediately asked what they can get for us. Their new item on the menu is the Samuri Surf & Turf which is a mix of potatoes, shrimp and steak.

Mark decided he would try the new dish with chowmein and a Pepsi to drink.

I stayed with the ordinary and ordered a plate of Chowmein, Beijing Beef and Mushroom chicken. I added a cold bottle of Gatorade for a drink.

For Alexander, I ordered 2 vegetable spring rolls.

Our total for everything was just $19.81, which is a third of what we paid at Olive Garden the day before.

Great service, delicious food!

PS: "If it looks good, eat it" - Andrew Zimmermann

Maestro's: Maestro's

by Africancrab Written Dec 30, 2012

I took my husband for dinner to Maestro's. I had long wanted to eat there, so when the opportunity presented itself, I took it.

It was pretty empty, just one table occupied by a party of 5. We were seated right away.

Only one server was available, he seemed pretty confident. We were in no hurry so we did not mind the delay in between orders. We started with a dry red South American wine, the server did not bring the bottle so I can not say for sure that it was what we ordered. He simply filled each of our glasses and brought it to us.

Mark ordered a cup of coffee too, not sure why since we had ordered the wine.The wine was ok, I only had half the glass.

For entrees, we ordered Oysters; Mark ordered the fesh oysters with lemon and butter, while I went with the breaded oysters. The waiter went through the order with us and once we were done, he though for a moment then told us that the oysters were all served for the evening. With just one table at 6:00 pm, it was hard to imagine that the oysters were all served. Something else was going on, they either did not have them to begin with, or it would have been too much to prepare.

We then decided to go with Bruschetta, play it safe that way. This turned out to be a big mistake. The order did not look like Bruschetta, when I tasted it, it had way too much Balsamic vinegar, I could not take more than a bite. So we sent it back. The waiter was kind enough to take it off our bill.

For the main course, I went with the Blackened Tilapia. Turned out great. Mark however did not comment on his meal, when we got home, he said it was less than average. Which meant he was not satisfied with his meal. I was disappointed seeing as this was supposed to be a special outing for him.

Not sure I will be returning there. Been there, done that.

Golden Dragon Chinese Restaurant: Golden Phoenix

by Africancrab Updated Dec 28, 2012

I would recommend this as a first choice for Chinese food should you find yourself in Sierra Vista and in the mood for oriental food. This was the first time I was eating here even though I have lived in the area for nearly two years now. I chanced upon it a while back as I went to my Chiropractor's office for a massage. Even though I had wanted to eat there for a time since, the opportunity did not present itself until last week when my husband suggested we dine out.

Since most of the Chinese restaurants I have been to in the area and even in greater Tucson have had buffet settings, I expected the same here. I was however surprised when we entered the establishment only to find no buffet. We were immediately seated by a pleasant (not oriental or Asian) lady.

The menu had quite an interesting array of options including three family dinner options. We went with the first option which included generous portions of up to 4 different a la caret foods. The portions were generous, we even took carry out boxes at the end of our meals.

We started with soups and an appetizer platter; I wanted something hot, so I went with the hot and sour soup. Mark and Desire ordered dumplings and wanton respectively.

For the main course we went with the family option number 1, which included 4 choices: I ordered Pork with veggies and noodles. Mark went with the Golden Phoenix, a combination plate which included chicken, beef and shrimp. My daughter ordered the sweet and sour chicken. A side order of spring rolls was made for Alexander.

All in all, a great experience. The price was great and service commendable.

Favorite Dish: The Soup

• Africancrab's Profile Photo

Outback Steakhouse: Steak? The Outback?

by Africancrab Written Dec 28, 2012

My plate of fish and baked potatoes

Its been a while since I have eaten steak, let alone at a steakhouse. The last time I went to an Outback, I was living in Tucson, that was more than 2 years ago. Tonight however, my husband decided to treat us to dinner at the Outback. He made reservations for 7:010 pm, not that he needed too seeing as it was pretty empty when we arrived. It is boxing day, so many people are still with family and friends; just a handful out eating.

We were seated right away, our waitress was pleasant and quick to serve, though my husband though her rather forgetful since she did not bring him the water he asked for the first time around.

I went with the fish dish and baked potatoes because we had just had roast beef for Christmas. Mark ordered the chicken with baked potatoes, while Desire insisted on the chicken fingers which were rather dry.

I don not care to go into more details because the experience was just passable. Rated against the Texas Roadhouse, the Outback was no match. My fish was delicious though!

Favorite Dish: The bread is outstanding!

Olive Garden Italian Restaurant: Disappointing Food

by Africancrab Written Oct 17, 2012

Olive Garden is known for service and great food, unfortunately I can not say the same for the one in Sierra Vista this time around. My husband took me for dinner after a whole day of anticipating eating Italian food. It was not busy even though it was a Saturday. We were seated right away and our waiter came by to tell us about the wine of the day and take our drink order.

Mark went with the house wine, and I took a non caffeinated Italian Orange soda. For a started, we went with the Brushetta, which was nothing shot of delectable. The main meal is what disappointed me. I ordered the crusted Tilapia cooked in lemon butter source, but when it arrived, it looked like they had made it and let it sit unattended for a while. The vegetables looked withered while the angel hair pasta, looked like child's play. If anyone knows anything about plating, you know serving small portions in large plates is all about presentation, which they failed miserably.

For $15 a plate, I could have had a better meal at McDonalds across the street for $6. To say I was disappointed is to understate it.

Chilli's: Poor Service!

by Africancrab Updated Sep 3, 2012

What a disappointment. I took my children and my daughter's friend to lunch on Sunday after Church. Perhaps I should have chosen a different day, but my thought went back to the great experience I had at the one in Tucson. There were quite a few cars in the parking lot so I expected the wait; we were seated when one table was available.

Our waitress looked like she did not want to be there, her greeting and demeanor said so much that I almost got up and left. The girls were happy though, so I calmed myself and let them look at the menu. They decided to go with burgers, I on the other hand wanted the Fajitas trio which includes shrimp, beef and chicken with a side of guacamole, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes.

We waited for about 35 minutes before the order arrived; the people who had come in later than us had already been served; this added to my annoyance but I stayed calm. Eventually, my plate arrived, It was not sizzling, but it looked hot, however it looked like a child's plate. The size was not the problem, it was the taste. One bite and I asked them to take the plate away.

The waitress came and took the plate, I asked her to get me a burger instead (I wished I had asked for the same to begin with), she told me it would take a while. At this point I decided I would just wait for the girls to be done and we would leave. The floor manager saved the day by offering to get me the burger to go and did not charge me for it.

Bottom line, I had a bad experience

Pizza Hut Italian Bistro: Broccoli & Cheese Soup

by Africancrab Written Aug 22, 2012

I do like Italian cuisine. This Pizza Hut offers a great menu for both sit downs and take-away. My daughter and I, have eaten here on several occasions, and ordered out on more than one count. My favorite sit in dish is the Penne Alfredo. when we order out, I normally order thin crusted pizza with veggie toppings. I have never been disappointed. I would recommend this Bistro over the Olive Garden in Sierra Vista.

Seeing as their food is really good, it does get very busy for both dinner and lunch. It is close to the military base and located mid town, attracting a big clientele. I believe they take reservations, however I have always been a walk in.

Service is great, you are met and greeted at the door, and seated by a pleasant waiter/waitress. Food portions are reasonable, quality is good, did I mention service was good? It is.
    Price range: $7-15 per person.
    Cuisine: Italian
    Payments: Accepts cash, and all major credit/debit cards

Olive Garden Italian Restaurant: Parmesan Shrimp

by Africancrab Written Aug 22, 2012

I took my husband to the Olive Garden to celebrate his birthday. It has been a while since I have had Italian food, however it is one of the cuisines on the top of my food list. The Olive Garden is known to be one of the best Italian Chain restaurants in the United states. You can find one in any big city.

The one in Sierra Vista is located right on Highway 90, within the super Walmart shopping center. This location ensure that it is busy all the time. We arrived at a quarter to 12:00 noon which was a mistake considering all the working class people were there for lunch. Service became slow, but the food quality did not diminish. We were served the salad immediately but our main meal and drinks took a little over 20 minutes.

The free bowl of fresh salad is a big plus for the Olive Garden. I loved the salad, a mix of fresh tomatoes, onions, cucumber, lettuce garnished with Italian dressing. My daughter ordered the crispy Lazagna bits, I had the Chicken Marsala and Mark ordered the crusted Parmesan shrimp. All were delicious, Mark remarked he was pleasantly surprised.

I prefer the Olive Garden in Tucson. This one was way too expensive for a chain restaurant with questionable service. It is sad that it is one of the few decent restaurants in this military town. The interior was inviting though!

Price: $16-24 per person
    Cuisine: Italian

German Cafe: German Cuisine

by Africancrab Updated Aug 22, 2012

I recently relocated from Tucson to Sierra Vista and found myself at a loss for what to do given the disparity between the two towns. Sierra Vista is quite a small town population and size wise. I particularly did not have much of a choice for restaurant or social places to go to. Having spent almost 2 months craving particular foods, I asked Mark to find something “different” in terms of food. He suggested we try the German restaurant. Turns out the German Café here in Sierra Vista is quite the catch for German Cuisine; great homemade food at great prices with excellent service.

Located on Paseo San Luis, it is an easy access from the main road in Sierra Vista, highway 92. It was a nice surprise for me because I do like German cuisine. They serve lunch and dinner all week and are closed on Mondays. It is a rather small establishment with just one room for the dining area, I believe they can comfortably sit 30 – 40 people at a time. The first day we went there, we were taken in by the family style setting of the dining area. Small with a touch of German in the décor and art, the service attendant was a German lady fluent in English. She was pleasant and efficient in taking orders on a first come first serve basis.

The menu is simple and easy, the German dishes clearly explained in English. I ordered Wiener schnitzel with homemade potato salad, as authentic as you would find in German itself. Mark ordered the Jaeger schnitzel which came with sauerkraut and a warm potato salad. I had apple juice since I’m off alcohol for a while; Mark ordered the German Weiss beer which he said was excellent. We did not have desert so I do not know how good it is, nonetheless you should try the desert, the people sitiing next to us seemed to think it was delicious.

I have since been there five times, and each time has been nothing short of delightful. For a pregnant woman, I will say this just knocked the nausea out of me each time. Definitely a great recommendation for visitors to Sierra Vista, you will not be disappointed. It is great for families, individuals, couples etc.

Price:
    The price range is between $7 – 16 per person
    They accept all major credit and debit cards, as well as cash payments.

PS: "If it looks good, eat it" - Andrew Zimmerman

Golden Corral: Dissatisfied!

by Africancrab Written Aug 22, 2012

I will rate my experience as less than satisfied after a lunch at the Golden Corral. My decision to go there was based on the memory of a great experience I had at the Golden Corral in Tucson, I was however very disappointed with this one. We arrived at the restaurant with my six month old and my 12 year old, there was a line at the pay counter. We waited in line, the one lady taking the payments was the same lady serving the drinks which were behind the counter (very inconvenient I might add).
    We approached the counter when it was our turn, paid for the two lunches and asked for Pepsi to drink. She charged my card, went to fill our drinks and ended up filling 5 others before coming back to us with the drinks and a receipt. She did not mind that I had my son in the car seat and need to set him down, she did not ask if I need help with my son's seating (high chair or otherwise). Granted it is a buffet, but service outside of us serving our places should have been provided.
    It was busy, seeing as it was a Sunday afternoon, we were not the only ones who thought of dinning out. We found a seating, still no one came to ask if we needed a high chair, I could only see one lady clearing off dishes from tables. I decided not to stress myself and just sat Alexander on a regular chair (which looked like a cafeteria chair out of a middle school). The tables and chairs are set too close to each other, I was afraid I would knock over the trays on which people were serving themselves.
    The food options were varied, but they did not look appealing at all. Only the Salad bar looked impressive. My daughter and I both got some salad, I decided to go with the grilled meat, and baked beans (canned I might add), some French fries and steamed white rice. For desert, daughter had strawberry dipped in chocolate and cotton candy. For $10.55 per person, I felt rather cheated.
    I really would not recommend it to a friend or family from out of town. I was disappointed.
    PS: ”If it looks good, eat it” –Andrew Zimmerman

New China Super Buffet: Passable Chinese Buffet

by Africancrab Written Aug 13, 2012

I have eaten at many Chinese restaurants and buffets, none was as disappointing as this one. When someone talks Chinese, the immediate thought is 'foreign and different as in not everyday food'. Even as a pregnant woman, I could tell that the food was bad, despite the cravings.

I did not return after 3 visits because nothing was different. Service is mediocre and the interior is not all that welcoming. What is even worse is the luke-warm buffet.

Price range: $7-12 per person
    Cuisine: Chinese
    Payment: Accepts all major credit/debit cards and cash

La Casita Restaurant & Cantina: Mexican Cuisine

by Africancrab Written Aug 13, 2012

Sierra Vista is a small town by any measure. A few good restaurants exist for different cuisines. For Mexican cuisine, La Casita is consistently good and reasonably prices. I ate at the restaurant weekly when I was pregnant, more craving than anything else. I decided to return to the restaurant after giving birth to make sure that the food was as tasty as it was while my hormones were flying every which way.

Well I'm glad to report that the food is good, nothing to write home about, but worth the price they charge. I ordered their carnitas and they were mouth watering.

The service is always good, and the place is clean. Interior typical of Mexican decorating.

Tanuki Sushi Bar & Garden: Fresh Sushi in the Desert

My duaghter's sushi bowl

After so many months of being limited on what to eat, I was excited to go out to dinner with my children. With Alexander able to only stay calm for short periods of time, I needed a place where the food is fast and easy. Desire decided we should go to the Chinese Buffet where we had eaten before. I did not care for the Chinese Buffet because I had bad memories from my pregnancy. I do like and enjoy Oriental cuisine; memories of my time in Asia many years back. We decided to try either the Korean or Japanese; with more than 6 Asian restaurants located on Fry Boulevard alone, our dilemma was choosing which one to go to.

Asian cuisine is a charming world to many foreigners; if you are one of those people who have never tried the typical Japanese, Chinese, Thai, or Korean foods you will like Tanuki Sushi Bar & Garden in Sierra Vista. Fry Boulevard in Sierra Vista this restaurant not only serves sushi, but has a full menu including cold and hot Japanese food. You are probably wondering, sushi in the desert? Yes indeed, great sushi in the desert. Their food is freshly made to take out or dine in, great service by a well-mannered team. It is rare in many restaurants nowadays to find the manger walking around asking how your meal is, at Tanuki, the manager walks around with the smile on her face, checking in every so often to see if there is anything else you need; a welcoming, encouraging, and heartwarming gesture to all guests.

Try the teppanyaki typical of Japanese cooking for the hot meals, you will not regret it. Teppanyaki basically means cooking on hot iron; teppan means iron, while yaki is the act of grilling. Choose from teppanyaki with vegetables, chicken, samurai steak, steak and scallop. If you want some sea food included, the shrimp and chicken, filet minon is a great choice. The teppanyaki with scallop & chicken is another option with sea food included. Special offers include the sumotori special or teppanyaki scallop, buddah special, and the geisha special.
    A variety of appetizers offers options not limited to edamame, yakitori, gyoza, vegetable tempura, ebi-su. Tako-su, agedashi tofu, tempura, shrimp tempura, and sushi sashimi. The sushi bar offers a typical Japanese Sushi experience, a generous serving of each item ordered.
    The price is reasonable, the sushi bar or teppanyaki is a great choice for families with children. We spent $32 including our drinks. My plate of curry with beef cartilage was delicious.

My daughter ordered a fresh plate of sushi which she enjoyed. Her only regret was that her plate had no rolled sushi like she is used to. Given that the restaurant is rather small, one gets the feeling of a cozy home meal. So get out this weekend and treat yourself or family to a foreign cuisine right in your home town. For visitors from out of town, this is a great recommendation for Japanese food.

Instant Answers: Sierra Vista

Comments

Sierra Vista Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sierra Vista restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sierra Vista sightseeing.