Tacna Off The Beaten Path

ENTERING MOHAWK VALLEY BY I-8

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Tacna

Towards Yuma Proving Ground

TOWARDS  YUMA  PROVING  GROUND

You can take exit 42 on I-8 to Avenue 40E north and drive approx. 5 miles north to restricted (closed to public) area reserved by U.S. military (Yuma Proving Ground). What for? Just to see the typical landscape of Southern Arizona. Boring or interesting? What do you think?

U.S. Army east of Tacna

I-8  EAST  OF  TACNA!

Driving I-8 east of Tacna towards Tucson the landscape is quite monotous, just a flat, desert valley area with some not very high moutains on both sides.

On the right you pass Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Base, a little more distant on the left Yuma Proving Ground - restricted areas, closed to public by U.S. military!

I didn't hear any hypersonic airplanes, I didn't see any tanks, I didn't meet any U.S. Army Rangers there :-(((. Are they invisible or what?

• Eco-Tourism

Cactuses east of Tacna

by matcrazy1 Written Aug 24, 2003

EAST  OF  TACNA  BY  A  FREEWAY!

Driving I-8 and then I-10 east of Tecna towards Tucson I could see first wild cactuses on both sides - I was very fascinating about them, looking for the biggest one: more to east ---> bigger cactuses hehe.
    Hmm... I even didn't suspect how many of cactuses and how big I would be lucky to see that day later in Saguro National Park.

• Desert

Telegraph Pass

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

THE  TELEGRAPH  PASS  BY  I-8

I drove I-8 from Yuma to Tacna by a freeway I-8: two lanes in each direction and few cars in April's midday.

Approx. 20 miles (32 km) east of Yuma the freeway leaves Yuma Valley and passes mountain range called Gila Mountains (Telegraph Pass ) to enter next, more vast Mohawk Valley.

At 767' (234 m)

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

TELEGRAPH  PASS

Telegraph Pass elevation is only 767 ft (233 m). Not high altitude but they had to cut a lot of beautiful rocks to build the freeway. Hmm... what to do, thanks it I could travel fast, safe and admire beautiful views :-).

Mohawk Valley

by matcrazy1 Written Aug 23, 2003

ENTERING  MOHAWK  VALLEY  BY  I-8

Driving I-8 eastwards from Yuma towards Tucson when you pass Gila Mountains (Telegraph Pass) you enter very vast and plain valley called Mohawk Valley. Tacna is located just in the center of the valley - a little boring landscape, am I wrong?

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

The only palm trees in Tacna

PALM  TREES  IN  TACNA

This is not San Diego, California. There are no palm trees in Tacna except single trees and that one group on my picture. People seem to save water and don't want to waste it for palm trees - just my opinion. Am I wrong?

• Eco-Tourism

Drive around

STOP  YOUR  CAR!

I was driving around Tacna and I stopped in a few places always looking for shadowed place - not so easy hehe. What for? Just to see more. Driving seems much better than walking around there, especially in hot midday - no pedastrians there!

Castle Dome Mountains

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 24, 2003

CASTLE  DOME  MOUNTAINS  FROM  TECNA  (12 x ZOOM)

Looking northwards from Tacna at a distance approx. 10-15 miles (16-24 km) you can see Castle Dome Mountains.

Southern part of the mountains is reserved for Yuma Proving Ground (U.S. Army) = restricted area, closed to public.

Northern part with the highest summit: Castle Dome Peak (3788' = 1155 m) is available (by highway 95 from Yuma) and there is Kofa National Wildlife Refuge there.

RV park?

RV  PARK?

Wear good glasses, enlarge my picture and look!
    Is this RV park behind those palm trees or what? No commercials! And a little neglected area. Maybe closed RV park, who knows...

Instant Answers: Tacna

Comments

Tacna Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Tacna off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tacna sightseeing.