Tombstone Restaurants

Tombstone
    by Martinewezel
    almost life size carving
    by painterdave
    Coloured PPL do be wary.....
    by chuksingh

Best Rated Restaurants in Tombstone

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Big Nose Kate's Saloon: Great Food and Fun in the Wild West

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jan 14, 2005

This restaurant/saloon is named for Big Nose Kate, "the gal who loved Doc Holliday - and everyone else too!" It is a fun place to eat, and was a definite highlight of our visit to Tombstone. The building dates back to 1881 when it was the Grand Hotel, and the decor is old west with steer heads hanging on the wall, stained glass, and hundreds of photos and artifacts all around. There was a very good singer who played guitar and entertained us as we ate. A dude dressed like Wyatt Earp visited every table, and invited all who wished to have photos taken and we did - Karen atop an upright piano and me in a coffin. For a picture see our Local Customs tip.

Favorite Dish: We both had "Goldie's Over-Stuffed Ruben," because our server recommended it: toasted rye bread overstuffed with juicy corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese & Kate's special sauce, served with french fries and a pickle wedge. It was delicious.

Karen Entering Big Nose Kate's Saloon

Nellie Cashman's: One of the Better Ones in Tombstone

by Basaic Updated Feb 1, 2012

UPDATE: Nellie Cashman's is under new management and has a new name. Will write a tip for the new restaurant soon.

Tombstone is not a place full of restaurants serving great food. In this environment, I would rate Nellie Cashman's above average. They serve steak, chicken, seafood, mexican dishes, pasta, and a variety of sandwiches and salads. The service was okay but not great. The cashier was nice and friendly, though. The most interesting thing about the restaurant is the history of the first owner (when it was called the Russ Restaurant) Nellie Cashman (see my things to do tip).

Favorite Dish: I had a grilled cheese sandwich and Albondigas Soup. The sandwich was about what you would expect, the soup was very good.

Nellie Cashman Nellie Cashman Juana the Cashier

Miner's Shack Cafe: Not Like it Used to Be

by Basaic Written Jan 17, 2008

The Miner's Shack Cafe is what became of the Top O' the Hill Restaurant when it came under new ownership. It is located on Highway 80 across from Boothill (is it a good idea to locate your restaurant by a cemetery?). They serve steak, chicken, shrimp, chops, BBQ ribs, and have daily specials.

Favorite Dish: I had a meatloaf sandwich and it was pretty good; but the food and service is not as good as it was as the Top O' the Hill. I miss Don Teodoro's, now THAT was good food.

Miner's Shack Cafe Sign

OK Cafe: Try Another Place

by Basaic Written Dec 17, 2007

The OK Cafe offers breakfast: Consisting of pancakes; french toast; omelets; eggs and other fare; and lunch consisting of burgers (to include emu, veggie and buffalo burgers) sandwiches; soup; hot dogs; salads and chili. Hours are 7 AM to 2 PM daily.

Favorite Dish: I ordered chili and had to take an antacid afterwards, not because of any spiciness to the chili but because it was that bad. I don't plan to return.

O K Cafe

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Big Nose Kate's Saloon: The largest beer in the Wild West

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 26, 2007

Big Nose Kate's is a saloon - a public bar typical for American frontier towns at the end of 19th century. The building was built in 1881 when 5,000-people Tombstone supported 110 (!) saloons and fourteen 24 hour gambling halls. It housed Grand Hotel with a saloon that time.

Now, it's a busy place to hear western (cowboy) music and see cowboy show played daily by a few local cowboys, cowgirls, shady ladies, sheriff and outlaws. It's a place for a drink and having fun in the Wild West, definetely not for a decent meal. The reasonable priced menu is limited to some appetizers, sandwiches and salads.

I enjoyed the live music and show, and lively atmosphere most. I also enjoyed watching visitors, old photographs, stained glasses and hundreds artifacts. I liked some funny writings on walls like "FREE BEER TOMORROW", "WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE". "FIGHT CRIME... SHOOT FIRST" as well as the names of some drinks 9see picture 3): sex in the desert, cowboy's/cowgirl's dream, and screaming orgasm.

Favorite Dish: We ordered draft beer. We were asked whether we wanted large ones and we as usual ordered large ones expecting to get about half a liter (1 pint) glasses. But at Big Nose Kate's Saloon large beer means twice larger than usual in the USA. It was the largest (2 pints) beer ever in the USA!

As I was a driver, most of cold and delicious beer was drunk by more and more amusing Urszula :-). Thanks it I could continue enjoying live music, that time "cowgirl music" in my car driving long way via Bisbee to El Paso, Texas. That was a drive!

URSZULA (matcrazy0) AND HER BEER! BIG NOSE KATE'S SALOON, MUSIC LIVE BIG NOSE KATE'S SALOON, DRINKS SERVED :-) BIG NOSE KATE'S SALOON, TOMBSTONE BIG NOSE KATE'S SALOON, OLD PHOTOGRAPHS
    • Beer Tasting

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Tombstone Coffee & Tea Company: A cup of coffee by the famous Concord Stagecoach

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 26, 2007

This inexpensive restaurant serves typical American breakfasts and lunches (hamburgers, toasts, scrambled eggs, omeletes, steaks etc.) as well as numerous brands of cafe and tea. They also sell some gourmet food, especially cafe and teas.

But what I remember most is the wooden interior decor in the Old American West style including the 1800s six-passenger Concord Stagecoach that was used in a variety of John Wayne and Gene Autry movies like The Lone Ranger, Maverick, Cisco Kid and several Bonanza episodes.

Favorite Dish: We were not hungry. I had only a cup of surprisingly good amaretto flavoured coffee. It was my succesful experiment as amaretto caffee is almost unknown and for sure not popular at my place in Poland. Urszula had orange juice.

I have also seen Vogan's Alley Bar (sandwiches, beer, wine, beverages) at 487 E. Allen Street and Tombstone Stage Shop and Old Fashionable Candy next door - picture 3. But next time in Tombstone I would give a try to either the oldest restaurant in town called Longhorn Restaurant (see pictures 4-5; Virgil Earp was shot from its second floor; T-Bone steaks; 501 E. Allen St.) or more expensive Ranch22 Restaurant & Bar (BBQ and steaks with a view - 801 North Highway 80 West, at Best Western hotel on Highway 80 to Bisbee).

TOMBSTONE COFFEE & TEA COMPANY TO RIGHT TOMBSTONE COFFEE & TEA COMPANY SIGN LONGHORN RESTAURANT, TOMBSTONE LONGHORN RESTAURANT SIGN, TOMBSTONE VOGANS ALLEY BAR AND TOMBSTONE STAGE SHOP AHEAD

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Helldorado Town: Rustic Charm~

by Yaqui Updated Oct 6, 2011

This is not just a restaurant, but provides several types of entertainment. They even have a putt-putt coarse. and a stunt wild west show. We ate here and were happy with the food and service. It is rustic, so do not exspect anything fancy.

Show times for Hollywood Stunt Show: Daily at 11:30 am, 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm.

Betsey!

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo

Crystal Palace: Best hamburger ever

by Martinewezel Written Jun 27, 2009

Wanna feel the spirit of the ol' West? This is a beautiful saloon, with a large antique wooden bar, complete with mirrors and cowboys. Yes... cowboys. Those are beer drinking locals dressed like their ancesters. It's really great for tourists!
    Even the waiters are cowboys and the bar maid and waitresses are dressed like in the old days, which is: long shiny dresses and scantily at the top. There is something for everybody.
    The food is good. My husband and I visited the States several times and I must admit that the hamburger we tasted here is the best!
    The service is friendly and however the restaurant was packed, we didn't have to wait for our meal. I really can recommend this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: We had lunch here. A simple "Duke burger" topped with bacon, roast beef, BBQ sauce American cheese and melted American cheese, all piled on a toasted sesame seed bun.

Tombstone

Longhorn Restaurant: Decent Breakfast

by Basaic Updated Jan 2, 2013

The Longhorn Restaurant serves a pretty good breakfast. It also has steak, chicken, BBQ, etc. There is a full service bar. Hours are 7AM to 8 PM daily.

Favorite Dish: I had a very good Western Omelet; but the potatoes were overcooked.

Longhorn Restaurant Inside Ed enjoying breakfast at the Longhorn

• Lionman's Profile Photo

The best hamburger I have eaten in my life.

by Lionman Updated Jun 18, 2003

Feeling hungry we hit a burger joint in Tombstone on the other side of the main street from the Crystal Palace. I had a 1/4 lb burger with bacon and my wife had a 1/4 burger with guacamole. We both had fries (that's "chips" if you are British!) and salad on the side. They were quite simply the BEST hamburgers and fries either of us have ever eaten anywhere!

For desert my wife had homemade apple pie and ice cream and I had cherry pie and ice cream, both were absolutely delicious and I am sure that the rest of the menu was equally tasty. HIGHLY recommended.

Our waitress was a slim and sparky old gal who could have stepped straight out of the old west.

The dining room had no windows and was lit by lanterns and it was easy to imagine it full of the roar of dining cowboys and the smell of sweat and horses, but the food was excellent, the tables clean and the service charming.

Favorite Dish: 1/4 pound Hamburger and bacon! The burgers were perfectly cooked and the bacon immaculate and very thick and lean, niether floppy nor carbonised and large enough for one rasher to more than fill the bun with plenty to spare. Had I been hungrier I would have tried the 1/2 pounder. The fries were the extruded kind made from creamed potato but were utterly delicious and perfectly cooked, crisp and hard on the outside yet succulent and soft on the inside. The salad was just enough to balance the meal.

• Arizona_Girl's Profile Photo

The Longhorn: Best Apple Cobbler EVER!

by Arizona_Girl Written Jul 21, 2010

Great southwest style American dishes, pulled pork, big hamburgers, even their soups are worth it. But the BEST part are their desserts. They have 3 daily desserts: Apple Cobbler, Death by Chocolate Cake, and Carrot Cake. I've never had the Carrot Cake (I am allergic to Walnuts and Pecans) but my brother-in-laws its wonderful Carrot Cake. To understand how wonderful I think the Apple Cobbler is, you must know one fact- I am a serious Chocoholic! Their Death by Chocolate Cake is good, and I occasionally get it, but their Apple Cobbler is worth every single calorie you put into your mouth. It is so absolutely fabulous I will go to Tombstone (about an hour away) just to have it. Their service has always been top too.

Favorite Dish: The Apple Cobbler

• painterdave's Profile Photo

All have their own "feel": Saloons and atmosphere

by painterdave Written Jul 29, 2009

This is not a review of "a" restaurant. It is a tip to encourage you to go inside the many businesses, saloons, and restaurants to see their cowboy attempt to attract tourists.
    Below I have included a stained glass window from one of the saloons, that actually has several very nicely designed and well constructed stained glass windows. You don't expect this kind of thing in Tombstone.
    Also I have included a cigar store Indian, typical from that era. Carved entirely from wood (pine) and painted, you will see this along the street in front of a business.
    If you need a tip of a place for hamburgers, there is one written by one of my VT friends from Belgium who is an expert at hamburgers and barbecue food. Look for this tip for info.

large stained glass window almost life size carving

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Longhorn: A fine breakfast and a fine meal...

by Bela_LUng Written Mar 23, 2005

We ate breakfast here and the place was packed. Good food was had. We ate dinner here and the place had a lineup. The food was as good and had some good BBQ.

The prices are reasonable here and the people friendly.
    Have some Saparilla! WOO!

They open at 8am and close at 10pm (iirc)

Favorite Dish: Pork Ribs!

• roamer61's Profile Photo

Nellie Cashmans: Good Food

by roamer61 Written May 24, 2006

This nice restaurant serves local and American fod for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Food is wholesome and service is friendly. A good place to whet your appetite while visiting.
    The restaurant is named for Miss Nellie Cashman, who opened up a restaurant in Tombstone in 1880. She was known as a woman of charity because of the the good things she did for the miners here and elsewhere. You can read about her at http://www.tombstonevigilantes.com/nellie.html.

The price range selected is for dinner. Lunch is cheaper.

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo

The Longhorn Restaurant

by Ben-UK Written Jun 2, 2003

The Longhorn Restaurant is the oldest continually operated restaurant in Tombstone. An historical building, it is located in what used to be the Bucket of Blood Saloon, the Holiday Water Company, and the Owl Cafe and Hotel. Virgil Earp was shot from the second floor.

Instant Answers: Tombstone

Comments

Tombstone Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Tombstone restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tombstone sightseeing.