Boothill Graveyard is open to the public without fee, and a popular stop for tourists visiting
Tombstone because it incorporates much of the history within the cemetary.
Buried here are outlaws with their victims, suicides, and hangings, legal and otherwise, along with regular citizens of Tombstone's first days.
The graveyard features the graves of Billy Clanton, Frank McLaury and Tom McLaury; the three men who were killed during the famed Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.
Located on the northwest corner of the town, the graveyard is believed to hold over 300 persons, 205 of which are recorded. Some people (especially Chinese and Jewish immigrants) are believed to be buried without record. There is a separate Jewish cemetery nearby with some markers restored, and there are also marked graves of Chinese.
Open daily 7:30 a.m. to dusk
The Can Can Restaurant ws established in 1879 by Quong Kee. It was one of Tombstone's best know restaurants. In 1886 it was purchased by John Henninger who turned it into a first class eating establishment. It had a number of properietors until 1921. In 1n 1928, it became the Piggle Wiggle Market. In 1945 a Dr. Paul Zin and Father Aull opened the Tombstone Medical Center in this building. It was a facility for the treatment of asthma and other respiratory ailments. It was very successful and operated unitl the death of Father Aull in 1948. In the 1970's it was a coin shop. It has had several tenants over the years, but is the original historic building.
The Wyatt Earp Theater is a live gunfight & theatrical performance not to be missed! They give you a great history lesson on the town starting with the Native Americans, the Mexican-American War, the Silver boom and the violence which is the reason this ‘town too tough to die’ is still Arizona’s second biggest tourist attraction.
Live actors reenact bloody gunfights that actually happened in Tombstone during its wild days. Best thing is that the show is indoors and therefore the heat, cold & wind are not an issue as with other gunfights in town. During the winter months they even give you a free cup of coffee to enjoy the show with!
This is a fantastic show and should be your first stop in Tombstone so you learn what the town is all about and will then know what you’re seeing as you explore it.
The Birdcage was the most famous saloon in America from 1881 to 1889. It was one of the most wild night spot and a reputation for a town that would never be forgotten. Back in 1881 -1889 it witness 16 gunfights, 140 bullet holes, stabbings, and murder. What made the Birdcage famous and unique is the 14 bird cage gribs compartments that are suspended from the ceiling overhanging the gambling casino and dance hall. This is where the ladies of the evening would entertain their guest. The nightly entertainment use to range from French can can dancers, risque performances, and national headliners such as Eddie Foy, Lotta Crabtree and many other famous entertainers of their day. This where Wyatt Earp met his third Wife, Sadie Marcus. Yet, like so many mining towns, the mines that made it prosperous flooded and so business went somewhere else. It stood closed for almost 50 years, till in 1934 it became a historic landmark. Now it is a wonderful museum filled with many original furnishings and artifacts.
It is open daily to the public year-round from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm daily.
The Good Enough Mine was discovered by Ed Shieffelin in 1878. Nowdays, the Good Enough Mine tour provides an educational look back into Tombstones past with help of its owners, Andree & Shirley DeJournett. The mine tour will take down in the belly of mining shaft and the life and times of a miner.
Enjoy a 25 minute Historical Tour aboard the Tombstone Trolley Car as our expert conductors share with you the History, Legands and Lore that has shaped Tombstone into the "Town Too Tough to Die." Save your tickets for discounts on Gunfights, Museums, Mine Tours, Restaurants and more! On/Off Service is available to the Boothill Graveyard. Wheelchair access.
Tours run daily from 10:30am to 4:00pm.
This Tombstone Cemetery gives mute testimony to the hardships of Western frontier life. The people buried here were housewives, painted ladies, outlaws, gamblers, miners, business men and women, blacksmiths, cowboys and those "who died with their boots on". Among its occupants are Billy Clanton, Tom and Frank Mclaury of OK Corral gunfight fame, Dutch Annie, the "Queen of the Red Light District', Quong Kee and other famous and not so famous residents that contributed to Tombstones early history. By the 1920s Boothill had fallen into ruin. It was restored from early burial records by Tombstone citizens in the late 1920s.
In 1882, a second wooden Catholic Church building was constructed. This allowed the 1881 building to be used solely as a rectory. Again, Nellie Cashman spearheaded the construction efforts, raising money and borrowing a team of horses and a wagon to haul wood from the Chiricahua Mountains, 50 miles away. This church building served the Tombstone Community until 1947 when it was moved to its present location. A new 1947 church building was constructed at the corner of N. Sixth and Safford Streets under the guidance of Pastor, Father Thomas Doyle. Later, the property north of the church that included two 1880's entwining rose trees was donated to and became part of the Sacred Heart Church Complex. The classroom complex was constructed in 1965, and a new rectory built in 1972.http://www.tombstone1880.com/sh/
This is the "World's Largest Rose Bush",that usually blooms during the month of April. The rose is a white Lady Basksia and the root was sent from Scotland in 1881. The bush was planted to climb over the woodshed. Mr. Macia tore down the shed and built the trellis. The bush does not require feeding or spraying, but it does require pruning and watering. Several truck loads of brush are pruned from the bush each January. The blossom is a small white rose growing in clusters. When Robert Ripley fires called this bush "the world's largest" it was one fourth its present size. It now covers more than 8,000 square feet. Walk under the bush out into the backyard, this is the best view. You are welcome to take pictures.
The fire of May 26th, 1881, destroyed the dwellings located here. In 1885, Mrs. Amelia Adamson built the Cochise House Hotel. That same year, Mrs. Adamson and Mrs. Mary Gee, a hotel guest, planted the rose bush in the hotel patio. The Rose bush had been sent to Mrs. Gee by a relative in Scotland. By 1909, the Cochise House was renamed as the Arcade Hotel and Annex. It was described as "iron clad adobe". In the 1920's, new owners, James and Ethel Macia, built the steel pipe and wood post trellis that supports the Rose Tree. In 1936 the Arcade was renamed the Rose Tree Inn in honor of the Rose Tree. The Inn was popular boarding house until it closed in 1953. In 1964 the Hotel was incorporated into the Rose Tree Museum, which remains today.
Built in 1879, the Crystal Palace saloon was the most popular watering place of its time among the 110 establishments licensed to sell liquor in Tomstone. One of the more genteel establishment, the Crystal Palace served only no sweet female singers during the boom days and only in the 1890's did it advertise a duo of girl singers. The second floor of the building since destroyed was leased as office space to gentlemen such as Dr. George Goodfellow, a retired Army surgeon and authority on gunshot wounds. It was a most appropriate place for his practice. Town Marshal Virgil Earp, Cochise County Sheriff Johnny Behan, Judge Wells Spicer and coroner, Dr. Harry Matthews, also the judicial officer at the inquest following the O.K. Corral shoot-out and Dr. Matthews examined the bodies of Billy Clanton and the McLaury brothers after the battle.
Upon gus arrival in Tombstone in 1880, Johh Clum decided that, "No Tombstone is competed without its Epitaph," and thus began the newspaper that exists to this day. Today's Epitaph is a journal of Western history. Clum printed his first edition on May 1, 1880. He supported law and order and the growth of Tombstone, an editorial policy strictly adhered to. Elected mayor of the city, Clum supported the Earps and opposed photo, a number of Tombstone's pioneers posed outside the Tombstone Epitaph.
“Pie” Allen at the corner of 4th & Allen Street. The November 10, 1881 edition of “Tucson Weekly Star” reported that work on a new one-story adobe building was underway and included a description of the work to be done. The project architect was Frank Walker, whose plans for the new Cochise County Courthouse (now a state park) had been accepted by the Board of Supervisors. The current building owner, P.W. Smith’s new store was to eventually measure 90 feet in length by 70 feet in width with the longest side fronting on Allen Street and the narrower side fronting Fourth. The current Visitors Center sits at the intersection of these streets in the original Adobe building. The Tombstone Chamber of Commerce, Tombstone Food Bank, Tombstone Association of the Arts and smaller non-profit storefronts share the building. The City of Tombstone was given designation as a National Historic Landmark District dessignation it earned in 1961 as "one of the best preserved specimens of the rugged frontier of the 1870s and '80s." National Register Number: 66000171.
Tombstone Chamber of Commerce is open 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday
On December 28th of 1881 while crossing 5th St., Virgi Earp was ambushed and shot. Would be assassins hidden in a new building under construction opened fire with shotguns. Virgil was severely wounded. He survived, but lost the use of his left arm. Meyer's Brothers Clothing and the Huachuca Water Co. moved into the new building. Later it became a popular saloon called the Bucket of Blood. In 1909 it was remodeled into a tourist hotel. In 1928 it became in the Owl Cafe and Tourist Hotel. The historic building burned in a fire in 1942, thought to have begun in the cook's quarters. A new building was erected in the 1950's and in the 1970's it became the Longhorn Restaurant.
The devasting fires of 1881 and 1882 brought major changes to the Tombstone Fire Department. A new fire station was completed in 1881, a new REscue Hook and Ladder Col was formed, and a new water source was obtained. Thirty six miles of fifteen inch pipe was laid to bring water from the Huachuca Mts. to Tombstone resulting in water pressure that would "blow down an adobe wall". Over years, this building has had many usese including a museum, a theatre and a Senior Center. This is the original 1881 structure, worn, but still standing.