Know about this? Rate It!
Tombstone, is located about 70 miles out of Tucson, which is a perfect day trip.
In this old historic mining town, the main attraction are situated in and around Allen Street.
More info on my Tombstone page.
Tombstone, 1 and 1/2 hour drive from Tucson
We enjoyed Tombstone which can easily be reached through an hour and a half drive from Tucson. It’s a great cowboy town that sprang up around the time when the mines were discovered by Ed Schieffel in 1877. Then, it became a village two years later, and a city in 1881.
In 1962 it was designated as a National Historic Landmark, and the Main street has been restored. It was here in 1881 when Wyatt and Virgil Earp along with Doc Holliday killed Billy Clanton and the McLaury brothers in the famous shootout at the OK Corral.
Nowadays, there’s a lot of shops and restaurants and the place is very touristy, offering horse-drawn stagecoach rides and cowboy gunfight shows for entertainment. It’s much like a Universal Studios segment planted right in the middle of the desert.
There is also "Boot Hill", the graveyard at the edge of the town where 250 residents of Tombstone were buried, most of them murdered, apparently killed by the Apache Indians, shot in gunfights, lynched or legally hanged. There is so much history here and it’s a great place to spend 3-4 hours!
- Family Travel
- Historical Travel
- Road Trip
Tombstone, Arizona - home to...
Tombstone, Arizona - home to Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday & the Clantons. The historic Gunfight at the OK Corral took place here in October, 1881.
Tombstone is 70 miles southeast of Tucson, and is easily reached via Interstate 10 to Benson and then south from Benson on Arizona Route 80.
Hotels in Tucson offer day tours.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Tucson Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Big Bear Lake Hotels
- Consolacion Hotels
- Ko Samet
- Kinzua Bridge State Park Hotels
- Sanibel Island
- Isola Palmarola Hotels
- Florida Off The Beaten Path
- Georgia Off The Beaten Path
- Colorado Off The Beaten Path
- Boston Off The Beaten Path
- Tennessee Off The Beaten Path
- Philadelphia Off The Beaten Path
- DAY TRIPS AROUND MUMBAI
- Washington State Off The Beaten Path
- Portland Off The Beaten Path
- Outside Rome
- Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path
- Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path