Places to eat in Tucson

by Africancrab

Most Viewed Restaurants in Tucson

Panda Express: Asian fast Food

by Africancrab Written Mar 4, 2015

I eat at the Panda Express mostly when I'm on a road trip. I love the fast service and easy, yet tasty food options. My favorite is the Beijing Beef on white rice, I alternate with the Kung Pao Chicken with noodles. My daughter is into the sweet and sour chicken, while my husband prefers the Honey Walnut Shrimp.

I will tell you, if you have to make a decision and can't come to one, you will never go wrong with their Beijing Beef. Plus you will not feel like you are eating fast food.

Favorite Dish: Beijing Beef on white rice

Red Lobster Tucson East: Great Sea Food Restaurant

by Africancrab Written Mar 4, 2015

It has been many years since I have eaten at the Red Lobster. Having grown up on a diet of Fish, I have always found it harder to eat meat regularly as my husband is quite the beef guy. However, I decided to go on a fish diet for a week and started with sea food at Red Lobster.

We were seated immediately since it was early in the evening
    (5:45), our service attendant was a pleasant young lady with a charming smile. She took our drink orders and returned faster than we were able to go through the menu; impressive indeed.

I did not order a full meal because I'm a small eater and fill up really quick, I had however to make a decision between the White Wine and Roasted Garlic Mussels and the Crispy Calamari and Vegetables. I of course went with the mussels which were delectable. I ordered a side of fresh garden vegetables with an Italian dressing.

My husband ordered the admirals feast which he finished before me; that told me he loved it.
    The children each ordered salad and soup and we had doggy bags to take home with. We did all love the bread. Great restaurant for family, friends, lovers and business.

Favorite Dish: White Wine and Roasted Garlic Mussels

White wine and roasted garlic mussels Red Lobster Red Lobster

Saguaro Corners Restaurant: Eat With a View of the Desert and Its Wildlife

by KimberlyAnn Updated Jan 26, 2015

This restaurant began as an eight stool, two table café in 1956 it has since expanded to accommodate its many customers. Although the food is of average quality, it is the best choice when visiting either Saguaro National Park East or Colossal Cave. The dining area has large glass windows that looks out onto the desert, which was my favorite part. The owners of the restaurant have a feeding program for wildlife, and we enjoyed watching many birds including cardinals, gambles quail, and humming birds. We also saw a coyote, some rock squirrels, and javelinas as we ate our lunch.

Javelinas at Saguaro Corners Map of Location of Restaurant

El Charro Cafe: Sonoran Style Restaurant, Traditional & Innovative

by KimberlyAnn Updated Jan 26, 2015

El Charro Cafe is a long time favorite with locals, and visitors alike. It was established in 1922, and is the oldest Mexican restaurant in the country that has been continually owned by the same family. The restaurant is so popular that it has expanded to include a restaurant in three different locations in Tucson. The restaurant features Mexicon-Sonoran style food, but often there is an innovative variation to the dishes. For this reason if you are looking for a restaurant that is strictly traditional, you may not like the El Charro. Basing their recipes on tradition, and using fresh local ingredients where ever possible, the chefs have developed tasty, hand made quality items to choose from. This is one of our favorite places to eat when we are in Tucson, and staying in the Catalina State Park, which is very close by.

A bit of fun history about the restaurant includes this item: There is an El Charro Café below sea level, but it is not open to the public. You would have to enlist in the navy first. El Charro was honored when the United States Navy named the galley on the U.S.S. Tucson Submarine as “El Charro Down Under.

The address and telephone number that I have included below is for the one that we go to, El Charro Cafe Oro Valley. Please see their website for the other two addresses and telephone numbers.

Favorite Dish: The menu changes from time to time, so check the website for the current dishes offered. I have tried a number of items, and liked everything except for the pork tamales that had olives in them. It was the olives that I didn't like. One of the items I liked was the Seafood Enchiladas, which I have had twice. Although I am usually too full to have dessert, I once tried the Roast Apple Pie Chimi a’la Agave, and it was delicious.

El Charro Cafe Oro Valley The interior of the El Charro Cafe in Oro Valley.

Ocotillo Café: Some People Come Here Just for the Restaurant

by KimberlyAnn Updated Jan 26, 2015

The Ocotillo Café, is located within the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. The restaurant offers gourmet, SW Sonoran cuisine dining, and is usually open for lunch, except for major holidays. The meals are created with the freshest ingredients possible.

May through August, when the evenings are cool, the restaurant is usually open to the public after the museum closes on Saturday evenings for dinner.

Beer, wine, Margaritas, as well as other beverages are available with your meal. Reservations may be needed during the busy season.

Favorite Dish: The first time I ate here, I had a wonderful salmon with a mango salsa, sliced squash, Spanish rice, and a caramelized banana wrapped in a crepe with whip cream and fresh berries for dessert. Everything was excellent.

Since the menu changes, this was not offered the next time I went, but I again had an excellent meal, so was not disappointed. I dined on grilled Mahi-Mahi in corn Tortillas with an avocado crema topping.

Check out their web site for current menu offerings.

The Ocotillo Caf�� Grilled Mahi-Mahi  in  Corn Tortillas
    • Museum Visits

The Abbey Eat & Drink: Apples and Baked Brie

by Africancrab Written Jun 26, 2014

After leaving Europe many years back, well France in particular, i never thought I would find a place that made some of the French delicacies that I so cherished. But recently, I went out with my daughter and son in search for something exotic and I found Baked Brie with apples at the Abbey. I had read from wheretraveler.com that this was the place to go, so here we were.
    Located at Sunrise drive, it has the vies of the Ventana Canyon.

I ordered the brie with apples, while my daughter and son shared pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon. Absolutely to die for.

Favorite Dish: Baked Brie with apples.

• roamer61's Profile Photo

The Bamboo Club: Great Oriental Cuisine

by roamer61 Updated Oct 24, 2013

This restaurant serves dishes of various kinds from all over Asia and the pacific rim. Vietnam, Thailand, China and Fiji are amongst the countries represented here by their cuisine. There are also a wide variety of specialty drinks to savor. Both the food and the service was exceptional.

Unfortunately, this restaurant is now CLOSED!

Favorite Dish: Mandarin Chicken. This tasty entree can be ordered seperate or part of a multi-course meal. It features white meat chicken cooked in a light and tangy mandarin orange sauce.

Cafe Cosa Poca: Best food in Tucson

by blueskyjohn Written May 29, 2013

I love this restaurant! The interior is beautifully decorated. There is outdoor seating which is very nice and where I ate. Although this restaurant is in the business district it is very quite and not much traffic. The wait staff is great and very attentive.

The unique thing about this restaurant is that they have no menus. The menu actually changes twice a day! What is being served is written on a small chalk board and brought to your table by the waiter.

They also have a bar.

Favorite Dish: I had a combination of Pollo Negro Mole and another pollo mole but it was a yellow squash (?) sauce. This was amazing! This is a case where I regret they do not have this on a permanent menu.

For dessert I had the chocolate mousse which was also excellent.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Blue Willow Restaurant: Good food and a gift shop!

by blueskyjohn Written May 27, 2013

I have stopped in to Blue Willow several times over the years. It is a nice lunch option. Service is fast and the food is good. My only problem was that I ordered a sandwich and asked if it came with any sides. The waitress didn't so no or yes, just "would you like some chips" I said sure. So my sandwich came with a bag of chips and I was charged additional for the chips!

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the chicken salad with cranberries and walnut on 11 grain bread.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Renee's Organic Oven: Organic Pizza!

by blueskyjohn Updated May 27, 2013

Renee's is a small eatery with indoor seating and a few tables outside. I always opt to eat outside when I can and the weather was beautiful. The staff was very pleasant and attentive which is important when sitting outside. The location is part of a small strip mall.

The food is very good. They specialize in organic products used in specialty pizzas.

Favorite Dish: I had the Thai Pizza. It was very good but a little on the small size. You can get a larger pizza but then it would probably be too much.

McDonalds at 22nd and Kolb: French Fries

by Africancrab Written May 26, 2013

I do not do fast foods much except when I want French fries. I think I have written a McDonald's review before, but it was about the coffee. This one is about the French fries; my love for McDonald's fries has created addicts of my daughter and son as well. We stopped by the store on 22nd St. and Kolb road to get fries for my 15 month old son and 13 year old daughter. I resisted the urge to get me one by ordering their Snack Wraps.

1 large bag of French fries for $2.29
    2 Chipotle BBQ Snack wraps (crispy) for $1.69 each
    1 large coke for $1.00

You can not beat this price. My snake wrap had crispy chicken, Chipotle sauce, cheese,and lettuce.

We were happy campers leaving the drive way. If you have never eaten the fries at McDonalds, you should try them, they are delicious and addictive. I love their snack wraps too, not the new ones, the original wraps.

PS: "If it looks good, eat it" Andrew Zimmerman

Miss Saigon: Great for lunch

by blueskyjohn Updated May 25, 2013

The food at this little restaurant is great. It is a good place for lunch. There are two seating areas in separate rooms and there is a big take out demand. The service was very good and friendly.

The food is Vietnamese.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the Curry Chicken.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Neo of Melaka: Awesome Malay!

by blueskyjohn Updated May 24, 2013

The ambience is great. But nothing compares to the food. The service is very good. Staff very helpful with suggestions from the menu.

The menu has great options and the food is authentic Malaysian. I haven't had Malaysian food this good since I was in Malaysia three years ago.

I have eaten here quite a few times and it was excellent each time.

Update 2013: Neo's has changed locations. The new location is now updated here. Still very consistent as I had the same thing I always have, Spring Rolls and Beef Rendang.

The new location is a step down on atmosphere. They have a new restaurant called "OM" which I also reviewed this trip. They took over the old location.

Favorite Dish: For an appetizer the veg. spring rolls were great. My favorite dish was the Beef Rendong.

Cafe Passe: A great whole in the wall

by blueskyjohn Written May 19, 2013

A very small cafe on 4th ave. they have a few seats out on the side walk but also a back courtyard and an indoor dining area. Seems to be a typical theme to order at a counter and someone will bring your food to you. I happened to be in a rush and it was nice the food came out very fast. I had a turkey sandwich with avocado on 9 grain bread. Very good. It also came with a salad that was very good because they mixed in basil.

The B Line: Good food and yummy desserts

by blueskyjohn Written May 18, 2013

Checked this place out for lunch. I liked this place a lot. You order at a counter and they bring the food out to you. Menu is on a large black board. I had a hibiscus iced tea, and a black bean burger. I requested to add some avocado which they did. The burger is a little spicy but very good. So good I went back a second day for the same burger but the second time I got guacamole instead.

They also have amazing desserts. Each day I got a large oversized chocolate chip cookie. They do something unique and sprinkle salt on it. So good!

I also stopped in one night for chocolate cream pie. Another winner.

Favorite Dish: The chocolate chip cookie with the salt. The hibiscus iced tea is excellent as well.

Tucson Hotels

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Clarion Hotel & Suites Santa Rita
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Tucson

Comments

Tucson Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Tucson locals.
Map of Tucson