Places to eat in Tucson

Simple, yet very satisfying
    Old diner sign.
    by TheTravelSlut
    Hooters. A good lunch or quick bite

Most Viewed Restaurants in Tucson

Lotus Garden: Will satisfy your Chinese food craving

by blueskyjohn Written May 14, 2013

I stopped in late the other night. This is a nice place. Before you walk in the door there is a koi pond with a peaceful trickle of water. Inside is nicely decorated. They have a small store with Chinese decor items and some wine for sale.

The wait staff was very friendly and they seem to have many regulars. Although friendly, I had a little issue when I ordered my dinner. I ordered the Kung Pao chicken and asked not to have onions or mushrooms and to switch the peanuts with cashews. The waitress said she would check. When she returned she told me that there would be a $1.00 charge for the switch. Now I would believe that cashews are more expensive but I noticed they had a dish, "chicken and cashew" that was the same price as what I ordered. So why the increase?

Anyway, the food was good. I would eat here again but maybe just order the chicken and cashews.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Lindy's on 4th: Great Burgers!

by blueskyjohn Written May 14, 2013

Lindy's is a very popular eatery on the eclectic 4th Ave. Inside, it is very small and the walls are painted red with some photos and TV's on the walls. I thought it was a bit dark, maybe because of the black tables. They do have some outdoor seating so I chose to eat there.

Their specialty hamburgers all have creative names such as "Ninja" "the Sparticus" and the "velvet hammer." I had the Cali Burrito Burger which has guacamole, lettuce, tomato, onion, provolone and French fries on it. It does not come with any sides. The burger was very good but I should have ordered a side.

Favorite Dish: The French fries that were on the burger had some type of batter that made them very tasty.

Brueggers Bagels: Unique bagels

by blueskyjohn Written May 14, 2013

I usually stop here for a quick breakfast when I'm in a rush. The have some unique bagels that are very tasty. My most recent visit I found they had a rosemary and olive oil bagel. I have never seen something like that before. I decided to have it with eggs. The unfortunate thing is that the eggs are pre-made little ovals. Still, they taste good. There is not much they do for the bagel. For example, I asked for black pepper and they directed me to an island that had packets to break open.

Favorite Dish: This rosemary and olive oil bagel is very good.

Eclectic Cafe: Out of the way but good food

by blueskyjohn Written May 13, 2013

Eclectic cafe is located in a strip mall. It's a little out of the way but a nice stop if your in the area. They have outdoor seating so I sat there to enjoy the beautiful weather. The food is a mix of soups, salads, sandwiches and Mexican food. The had a special which was a very large Burro that featured a cilantro and lime pesto. You can get a choice of meat. I had chicken. It comes with rice and beans. The burro was very good.

The menu has some nice dishes that I will go back to try.

• National/State Park
    • Desert

Gus Balon's Restaurant: A true American Diner

by TheTravelSlut Updated Mar 21, 2013

Gus Balons Family Style Restaurant serves both breakfast & brunch in a typical old fashioned American roadside diner style.

Lots of descriptions are made of the diner here......quaint, traditional, a Route 66 type diner. etc.

Gus Balon’s is known throughout the area for its sweet (cinnamon) roll which is HUGE and delicious. Everything is baked to order at Gus’s and has been since it opened in 1966.

Expect a wait during the morning rush but service will bring your food fast and you will enjoy it bo doubt.

If it does get crowded inside, there is also outdoor seating.

Favorite Dish: Their cinnamon roll is without equal. Enough said.

I enjoyed a special Mexican omelet with lots of Sonoran desert regional flavor.

Don't forget their homemade pies of every variety.

The toast that comes with egg orders is made from Gus’s own white bread that is hearty and delicious.

I don't think you can be disappointed in either quality or quanity,

• Seniors
    • Singles

Pappoule's Park Place: Great Greek Food

by Africancrab Written Mar 18, 2013

I love Greek food, but for a while in Tucson, there was no good Greek restaurant until 'My Big Fat Greek Restaurant' was opened. so I spent many evenings and sometimes weekends eating at Pappoule's.

It is located at the Food Court at the Park Place Mall in Tucson. My favorite order is the Gyro Platter which comes with a side of Greek salad. the meat is a huge portion, big enough for two. The offer other variations of the Gyro; the sandwich, the combination platter with French fries, and other options that do not include the Gyro.

Great place to eat Greek at a reasonable price

Casa Molina: GREAT authentic Mexican food

by TheTravelSlut Written Mar 7, 2013

Casa Molina has been serving some of the best Mexican Food in Tucson since 1947 and I was fortunate to recently dine at the original Casa Molina (House of Molina)

You can't miss it on Speedway Boulevard and highlighted by the over-sized statue of "El Toro, the Brave Black Bull", and a hand painted sign of the matador in the parking lot.

You will likely encounter one or more of the Molina Family when you dine here and you can see how the restaurant has expanded from its original size of 16 to over 300 now.

You can sit in one of the three dining rooms or the outdoor patio or should you prefer just cocktails, you can enjoy their quiet lounge, the Cantina, where numerous tequilas (the distilled juice from the Mexican agave cactus) tempt you before, during or after dining.

Genuine Mexican decor can be found throughout the restaurant including ceilings covered with saguaro ribs. Some of the furniture is custom-made by Gilberto Molina from hand hewn mesquite tree forks and pine slabs.

One unique aspect of Casa Molina is that the kitchen doors are always open and you can, at any time, walk through and see the native chefs working their magic.

There are three locations but I ate the original 1947 restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The chimichanga and chili rellano are authentic and delicious with a sauce that is definitely southwestern but not too spicy with chipotle or jalapeno peppers.

Topped off with great, warm tortilla chips and homemade salsa and a margarita....you can't miss with southwestern Mexican food.

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo

Hooters, Tanque Verde (Tucson), Arizona: Fun & good food even if you don't watch sports

by TheTravelSlut Updated Mar 6, 2013

Hooters restaurants can be found all over the USA with more than 460 Hooters throughout the United States. Hooters has restaurants in 44 U.S. states, the US Virgin Islands, and Guam. In addition, Hooters operates restaurants in 24 other countries.

Almost all Hooters restaurants sell beer and wine, and often a full liquor bar. They also have a gift shop include Hooters T-shirts, sweatshirts, and various souvenirs and curios.

Hooters are often located near sports venues and despite the entendere, they are family friendly.

Favorite Dish: The menu includes hamburgers and other sandwiches, steaks, seafood entrees, appetizers, and the restaurant's specialty, chicken wings.

My favorite choice is always a margarita with any one of the chicken wing varieties or the baja fish tacos.

I am always impressed at the friendly service despite large crowds at times but the good sports-bar food and drinks are always consistent.

• Singles

• ines2003's Profile Photo

cafe poca cosa: cafe

by ines2003 Written Feb 12, 2013

The tables were really packed in there and they had TVs at the table. The service was okay, not great, not horrible. For me to not like it & even write a review...which I never do. That's pretty good!

Favorite Dish: tortillas.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Downtown Kitchen and Cocktails: Just drinks or the whole hog!

by Gillybob Written Sep 30, 2012

This bar/restaurant is located just a few blocks up from the main road through Tucson.

The restaurant offers both a full lunch and dinner menu as well as a happy hour/bar menu.

Favorite Dish: Writing this tip nearly a year after visiting the restaurant, the menu has subsequently changed but I can tell you that the dessert (topped with caramel popcorn) was delicious!

• National/State Park

• queencreekfreak's Profile Photo

Cafe Poca Cosa: Gourmet Mexican Cuisine

by queencreekfreak Written Sep 2, 2012

Upon entering the restaurant the first thing o noticed was the stunning bar with silver leather upholstered chairs and a modern white dining area. We did not have a reservation but I think we were there a bit early for dinner and may have beat the Saturday night crowd so we were seated immediately.

We had a most attentive and knowledgeable waitress. Her descriptions of the food made it hard to choose. In the end, we chose to let the chef choose with the Poco Cosa Platter.

The restaurant changes their menu every 6 hours and it is written on a chalk board in Spanish and English. They do offer vegetarian cuisine also.

I had one of their signature margaritas and it was good. I was happy that I. Could taste some tequila, which always makes me happy.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed the Poco Cosa Platter and would definitely recommend it if you are up for a gastronomic adventure. We received three delicious picks by the chef. A chicken dish, a shredded pork dish and a sort of loose sweet tamale pie.

• Women's Travel

Ba-Dar Chinese Restaurant: Chinese Cuisine

by Africancrab Written Aug 22, 2012

I do enjoy a varied range if International cuisine, the oriental foods still tops the list of foods I like both at home and when I travel. With my sister visiting, we decided to stop at Ba-dar Chinese restaurant the day she arrived in Tucson from New York.

Ba-dar is one of the most authentic Chinese restaurants in Tucson, opened in 1991. Located on Broadway Boulevard, it is not the easiest to find and not the biggest either. However it offers a cozy setting with a warm interior, the staff is all Chinese but they speak English well enough to serve you. We had eaten here before so this was not my first time; my sister however was eating here for the first time.

We ordered three different dishes and shared them among us; a bowl of white rice, the peking duck, curry chicken and sweet and sour pork. I got the taste for peking duck a few years back while on a trip to Beijing; I learned it was Beijing's most famous dish, normally served with mandarin pancakes. Here at Ba-dar however, my duck was served with hoisin sauce only, not that I'm complaining.

Le Rendez-Vous French Restaurant: French Cuisine

by Africancrab Written Aug 22, 2012

My friend Jean Claude owns and runs the only authentic French restaurant I know of here in Tucson. Jean Claude has been a chef his entire life, smile! Being French and all he adds his personal touch to everything. My friend Corinna invited me to diner and mentioned we were going to see Jean Claude.

The restaurant is a small home style with cozy close seating. At the entrance we were greeted by French speaking waiters and a very attentive chef, all were friendly and helpful. We started with a wonderful Chardonnay wine, and the cold seafood appetizer. We did not have a full meal since most of my team had eaten earlier, so Jean ordered desert and we had that with wine, awesome mix of sweets and red wine. I had my daughter with me so I ordered a full meal for her. She had lamb with scalloped potatoes

The desserts were beautifully prepared, with a wide choice of flaring islands, hazelnut torte, tart tatin, creme brulee and flambé deserts including bananas foster. Jean-Claude joined us at the table for the rest of the evening, of course this ensured we were serviced top notch. You must try the Crepes Suzette I highly recommend it.

The down side to this place is that is it very small and the seating could be redone to make it more spacious. It looks as though the tables are on top of each other.
    Their prices are a little higher too, not the same as you would find in a Mexican restaurant. Average though, a place you want to take someone special too. If you call ahead, Jean Claude will make it very personal if it is a special date.

PS: "If it looks good, eat it" Andrew Zimmerman

Ha Long Bay Vietnamese Restaurant: A Piece of Vietnam

by Africancrab Written Aug 22, 2012

Authentic Vietnamese food in the middle of the desert: Ha Long Bay restaurant is an exciting food place. Ha Long bay is a delightful place to dine. I noticed that my long time friend Edith who is a Vegetarian will always choose Ha Long Bay over any other options; she said that as a vegetarian, she found Asian based venues (particularly Ha Long Vietnamese) to be the perfect dining establishments for her. I particularly like the lighter and healthier Vietnamese approach to cuisine. The sea food is awesome, I love garlic so on a second trip I did choose the garlic shrimp: lightly coated with flour, fried, then glazed with a sweet/hot garlic sauce and served with freshly-steamed broccoli.

What could be more delightful than the delectable garden roll appetizer with the out of this world peanut sauce, Thai bubble tea and then either the vegetable/tofu Bun or the amazingly delectable and perfectly prepared Kung Pao Tofu. This is a choice my friend recommended. Having eaten it, I must say it is an excellent vegetarian choice, you must try it. The service is always superb, the atmosphere is nice and suitable for Tucson which is predominantly a casual town. A meal eaten there is a great deal economically where I leave thinking how exciting to have such a great place to eat here in Tucson. I certainly recommend this place for every one, you can choose from spicy to non-spicy, vegetarian to meat loving choices.

• Africancrab's Profile Photo

Casbah Tea House & Restaurant: Eco-friendly, organic tea & vegetarian restaurant

by Africancrab Written Aug 22, 2012

I love tea, so I was excited to learn of a tea house in Tucson. I visited the Casbah Tea house over the weekend with my friend Tim and some strangers we met at the Wine tasting and dance we had previously been to. Katie one of the ladies we met was extremely enthusiastic and had such a persuasive tongue that it was hard to say no. She seems to be a home maker and quite the persuasive organizer. Anyway the Casbah tea house was busy, dingy and a rather personal place with a homey seating arrangement running the length and width of the backyard area. The back restaurant charming and fitted out as a Bedouin tent with Moroccan stools, Afghan runners and carpets and furniture from the middle east making it fun to visit. There was live music playing and the musicians played gypsy music from their hearts and souls while the crowd danced. Tim and I had not had dinner by the time we got to the tea house so we went ahead and ordered vegan soup and hot tea (it was a little cool outside).

They had a wide range of delicious teas, fair trade coffees and awesome cookies. I'm a tea drinker and drink more black tea than any other kinds of tea (well tea from my home country). I ordered black tea (pokea) and Tim took apple-cider tea. Once we had happy stomachs, we danced to gypsy music before leaving and heading to an actual live music dance place.

PS: "If it looks good, eat it" -Andrew Zimmerman

Latest: Mar 11, 2014
Clarion Hotel & Suites Santa Rita
1 Review & Opinion

Instant Answers: Tucson

Comments

Tucson Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Tucson locals.
Map of Tucson