Fun things to do in Tucson

• San Xavier del Bac, Tucson, Arizona Aug 2010
    San Xavier del Bac, Tucson, Arizona Aug...
    by jumpingnorman
    The Venomous Mexican Beaded Lizard
    by roamer61
    Biosphere 2
    by Jim_Eliason

Most Viewed Things to Do in Tucson

Outdoor Wall Art

by blueskyjohn Updated May 25, 2013

There is some incredible wall art and graffiti through out the town of Tucson.

Main photo - corner of 4th avenue and 8th street

2nd photo - Side play ground of the Goodwill building at the corner of 4th Ave and 8th St.

3rd and 4th photos - A warehouse on Oracle, between Drachman and Speedway

5th Photo - a healthy restaurant on Stone near the corner of 6th St.

• Photography

4th Avenue

by blueskyjohn Written May 19, 2013

Another wonderful section of Tucson is 4th Avenue. The section has a focused number of restaurants, stores and bars. Geared towards the eclectic and unique, there is always something to see or do on 4th. A very popular location in the evening for the night life and restaurants. Parking can be a little difficult because the side streets are reserved for residential parking. Parking on 4th is free.

• Business Travel

Lost Barrio

by blueskyjohn Updated May 18, 2013

Lost Barrio is a small section of Tucson on Park avenue. It is a collection of unique furniture and decor items from around the world and local items. They are in a row of old brick warehouses. Interesting items but a little pricy. A nice hour spent browsing.

St. Phillips Plaza

by blueskyjohn Written May 18, 2013

St. Phillips Plaza is a nice quiet destination with boutique shopping, restaurants and fountains. There is also tile art and galleries as well as a large statue of St. Phillip. The fountains are very nice, especially the central one. Enjoyable in the evening to relax.

Main Gate Square

by blueskyjohn Updated May 15, 2013

Main Gate Square is a two block radius of restaurants, specialty stores and clothing stores. it is nestle in the campus of the University of Arizona, on University Blvd. between Euclid and Park Avenues. There are 23 restaurants and 7 cafes/dessert places. Also amongst the stores are a number of clothing stores and Salons. It is a nice place to relax in the evening and great for lunch. Parking could be an issue

• Business Travel

• starship's Profile Photo

Hike the Douglas Spring Trail

by starship Updated Apr 15, 2013

If you're a hiking enthusiast, try hiking the "Douglas Spring Trail." The 11.8 miles roundtrip trail leads into the Saguaro National Park which lies at the foot of the Rincon Mountains.

Although it's a somewhat desolate-looking area, the trailhead parking lot was always filled with cars, (some with bike racks) and horsetrailers indicating that there is a good possibility of seeing other folks somewhere along the line. The Douglas Spring Trail begins at an elevation of around 2,870 ft and tops out around 4,800 ft. You'll get a lot of topigraphical variety with sand, dry washes, and rocky foothills, as well as the ability to go off on other trails such as "Bridal Wreath Falls," "Garwood Loop," "Tanque Verde Peak," "Three Tank Junction" or the 250 foot climb to the "Carrillo Trail. You will find the Douglas Spring Campground at an elevation of 4,800 ft. where you can grab some shade, and if you wish to remain overnight in the park. NO FIRES ARE ALLOWED!! A privy is on sight.

I admit I am in no kind of shape for such climbing, especially in high temperatures, and would never put a horse through that. I am, however, up to some long walks to see all types of cacti and wildlife (but not wishing to become anyone's meal!!). While riding or walking I saw my first jackrabbit, roadrunner, prairi quails, and gilamonster. Watch out for javalinas, rattle snakes, scorpions, bobcats, coyotes, and mountain lions.

NOTE: Bring plenty of water and hydrate yourself well beforehand, bring high-energy snack food or more, especially if you plan to be on the trail overnight. Remember the desert gets very cold at night so plan accordingly. In summer, wear hats & sunglasses and use lots of high quality sunblock.

Douglas Spring Trailhead Some of the hiking territory ~ beautiful!! Trail leads into Saguaro National Park - postcard
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Camping

Seven Falls Trail

by Africancrab Written Aug 13, 2012

Located within the Santa Catalina Mountains, Seven Fall sis one of the more intriguing and alluring attractions. The waters come from Bear creek through pools, during the rainy season, the falls is spectacular. Because it is a medium level hike, it is quite popular. My daughter and I, hiked it all the way on a rather hot day in Tucson (I recommend you go earlier in the year, or later in the year).

A total of 5.2 miles to and from, it is pretty easy for a seasoned hiker, and medium level for a beginning hiker. Nonetheless make sure you are in good health before attempting the hike due to the elevation gain just before reaching the falls. It is about 3 hours, but since my daughter was only 10 when we hiked it took us 4 hours including a stop along the way. The trail head elevation is 2800 feet, there is a 500 feet elevation gain making the top elevation 3300 feet.

If you are a hiker, this summary will make more sense to you, if you are a beginner, it will make sense too, but more so once you hike a little more.

Summary
    Trail: Seven Falls
    Elevation: 3300 feet
    Elevation Gain: 500 feet
    Duration: 3 Hours
    Season: Year round
    Location: Coronado Forest National Park/ Sabino Canyon

Beginners; this is not an easy hike. I put easy, I should say it is a difficult hike for all beginners. I'm a seasoned hiker so this is not difficult

Hiking to Seven Falls with my Daughter Seven Falls Pool Seven Falls Hiking to Seven Falls Hiking to Seven Falls

Blackett's Ridge

by Africancrab Written Aug 13, 2012

I went on yet another awesome hike at Sabino Canyon. The full moon hike at Blacketts Ridge trail was one of the most challenging hikes I have done. The hike took 4 hours and we ascended about 2000 feet high. Blacketts is considered a difficult hike and I will confess I found it more than difficult. I did complete the hike with much struggle but I'm glad I did it, as Steve (Mr. X) said, I now have bragging rights, ha-ha! This is the toughest hike I have been on so far: after seven years of not climbing mountains or hills taller than 500 feet, rising almost 2000 feet at an almost 60 degree angle was as tough as tough gets. The view from each false peak made it all worth the while. The sun setting and moon rising were spectacular . . . took my breath away (literally)

Blacketts ridge is elevated at a little over 4400 feet with the lowest peak at 2600 feet, it rises about 1,800 feet for a distance of a little over 6 miles. It is rated as an intermediate to advanced (level C) which means hiking three to eight miles at an elevation of between 500 to 2000 feet of elevation change. Elevation change means climbing in the same direction with no east or west tendency. This is tough on the heart (breathing) and body (muscle). For a first time, I could not have seen it coming - the steep climb being made to seem easy by the more seasoned hikers that were part of my hiking party this night. The total hike was supposed to last three hours but at an hour and 45 minutes I was the last one on the trail having told the group leader Steve(Mr. X) and Kim to leave me behind as I was slowing down the party. I needed to catch my breath badly and I could not help myself when it came to taking in the breathtaking views.

Steve (Mr. X) gave me the walky-talky radio and with simple operating instructions asked if I was okay? 'Okay' was of course an understatement given the condition I was in (literally breathless). Nonetheless I told him I was okay all the while hoping he would decline to leave me behind. I was too out of breath to say anything but "I'm fine go ahead, you will find me right here on your way back" I said. In my mind I kept seeing that yellow sign at the beginning of the trail with the notice of DANGER of Mountain lions, thinking what happens if one jumps out of no where and I'm all by myself. What about the rattle snakes? I hate snakes with all that is in me. I would not know the first thing to do if one showed up on the trail. I did not have a night light because Joe was carrying one for me (don't ask, I read the recommended requirements and I had everything except the flash light when I needed it most). After resting for what seemed like a safe moment (10 minutes or so) I got up and began along the trail again, mostly because I was not sure I wanted to be left alone with the thought of a mountain lion and rattle snakes lingering. I panted as I climbed up a steep curve to a wash along the mountain. From a distance I could see my hiking buddies up about 700 feet up hill, their head lights were turned on and they looked like fire flies . . .

World War II Memorial

by Africancrab Updated Aug 13, 2012

Located within the Tucson Veterans Memorial Park, the World War II Memorial honors the fallen and veterans of World War II. This particular monument in Tucson commemorates the Veterans of the battle of the Bulge, the Ardennes. The memory of the sacrifices made by those who fought this battle is forever grounded.

The memory of the historic showdown between Germany and America and its allies began nine days before Christmas 1944, when Hitler's troops mounted a massive surprise assault in Belgium and Luxembourg. The Germans, shrouded in white camouflage to blend in with the snow, were aiming to break through the front line and capture the port city of Antwerp, Belgium, a major supply point for U.S. and Allied troops. The Americans were not outfitted for winter warfare because few had heavy coats or snow boots. Nonetheless, they fought fiercely for weeks in frigid temperatures to repel the attack.

Every year the surviving veterans come together to remember their comrades and meet members who are still alive. Tucson has about 50 surviving members of the Battle and it seems time keep stilling them away. Most of them are 80 years and older.

Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge, the Ardennes

390th Memorial Museum

by Africancrab Written Aug 13, 2012

The 390th Memorial Museum is located within the Pima Air and Space Museum compound. It honors the courage and sacrifice of members of the armed forces, particularly the members of the 390th bombardment group who served during World War II. The many memorabilia, stories, and personal accounts of the successes of the 390th bombardment group can be seen here. It is a moving tribute, one that will leave you teary if you have or had members in any branch of the armed forces.

I wrote some info on it in my Pima Air and Space Museum review.

390th Memorial Museum My daughter at the 390th Memorial Museum 390th Memorial Museum Bombardment airplane 390th Memorial Museum

Sonora Desert Museum

by Africancrab Written Jul 27, 2012

The Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum is a world-renowned zoo, botanical garden, and natural history museum all put together in one location. This is a great place to take children and families whether or not you like nature. There is so much to see and learn both inside and outdoors. Great information about desert plants and animals, it allows you to immerse yourself into learning and appreciating the desert. It is nothing like the International Museum down the road, but worth spending time at.

My family enjoyed an afternoon there. It is a zoo, botanical garden as well as a natural history museum. Inside exhibits recreate the natural habitat of animals.

• Zoo

Sabino Canyon

by Africancrab Written Jul 27, 2012

Sabino Canyon is nestled in the foothills of Southern Arizona's Catalina Mountains approximately twelve miles from downtown Tucson. The Canyon is one of Tucson's most visited tourist attractions with spectacular scenes. My girlfriend Roselle and I decided to take the shuttle tour since we were pressed for time and wanted to visit more than just one attraction in the day. The shuttle cost $8.00 per person. We had a full shuttle with couples, children, families but mostly the elderly. We drove on a paved road that runs almost four miles into the canyon and crossed nine stone bridges. Our shuttle driver who is also the guide talked over a PA as we went through the different sections of the Canyon, telling of the nature of the canyon. The Canyon is at an altitude of 2,800 feet but rises up to 3,300 feet at the end.

Winding through the canyon, visitors who follow the road have views of the creek, the riparian vegetation, magnificent Saguaros on the canyon walls that rise so high making one feel really small. Huge boulders lie at the base and mid section for the towering rock formations, while the creeks flow with low water due to the dry season of the year. Along the road are picnic areas and trailheads leading to other sections of the National Forest or paralleling the road. This is one of my favorit outdoor places in Tucson

Sabino Canyon Sabino Canyon Sabino Canyon Sabino Canyon Sabino Canyon
    • Horse Riding

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

Tucson Visitor Centre

by Gillybob Written Jul 22, 2012

The staff at Tucson Visitor Centre are able to provide you with all the information that you need for your visit to Tucson. The visitor centre has a selection of leaflets and brochures on the sights around Tucson.

The visitor centre also has a wide selection of souvenirs and gifts for sale.

OPENING HOURS :
    Monday to Friday : 09:00 - 17:00
    Saturday and Sunday : 09:00 - 16:00

Tucson Visitor Centre

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Agua Caliente Park

by jumpingnorman Written May 5, 2012

I was looking for a park near our east Tucson Hotel, and I saw the Agua Caliente Park which they say is a "secret among the natives of Tucson". Haha, so off we went through somewhat desolate roads and we were pleased to find this 101-acre oasis! The best part of it is the lake which had many ducks, turtles and dragonflies!!!! It was the perfect shooting opportunity and got wonderful pics of the JumpingFamily. It is open 7 AM to sunset, and you see views of the Santa Catalina and Rincon mountains. There is a Ranch House and Art and Gallery inside, but we did not go in :) Not sure if it was open on that Sunday afternoon :)

Roy P. Drachman Agua Caliente Park
    12325 E. Roger Road
    Tucson, AZ 85749
    Park hours: 7 a.m. - sunset

Call Agua Caliente Park Ranch House for information and scheduling, 749-3718.

JumpingNorman with daughter in Tucson 2012 Agua Caliente Park, Tucson 2012 Agua Caliente Perk, Tucson JumpingTwins at Agua Caliente Park, Tucson 2012 Jumpingson at Agua Caliente Park, Tucson

• toddecus's Profile Photo

International Wildlife Museum

by toddecus Written Mar 18, 2011

This relatively new Natural History Museum is located west of downtown Tucson in the foothills of gates pass. Cleverly located on the way to the real Tucson goods ... Sonoran Desert Museum, this Natural History Museum is more of a 'for locals' than a thing travelers should go out of their way to do. I am sure it is good for local kids to get exposed to natural history and conservation, but the average Tucson traveler is going to regret the time and money if visiting Tucson.

Sign for Internatlonal Wildlife Museum Lion statue in front of museum. Museum exterior

Tucson Hotels

Latest: Mar 11, 2014
Windmill Inn at St Philips Plaza
Latest: Jun 28, 2014

Instant Answers: Tucson

Comments

Tucson Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Tucson locals.
Map of Tucson