Desert conditions, Tucson

Teddy Bear Cholla
    by KimberlyAnn
  • Drink water but enjoy

by whimsydenise Updated Jul 2, 2006

It's not a problem. Just couldn't figure out how to write a review. I just spent two weeks in Tucson for work. I HAD to go, but didn't want to. I'm from Portland, Oregon and I couldn't understand how people could live with temperatures at 110 degrees.

But, after two days, I discovered that Tucson is magical. I have a back injury and in two days I didn't feel any pain...in Portland, I feel pain daily.

I loved Tucson so much, I want to move there. It's amazing, beautiful and healing. You can get used to the heat by drinkiing water and taking it easy.

I love it. I want to be there now. I will be SOON as I'm checking into moving. I bless the day my employer "forced" me to go there!!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Dangers When Hiking

by KimberlyAnn Written Feb 24, 2004

Teddy Bear Cholla

Always carry water when hiking in the desert, especially in the summer when temperatures can be in the 90s and even over 100 degrees. It is recommended that you carry one gallon of water per person per day. Be careful of over exposure to the sun, even in the winter, use sun block and be sure to have sun protection such as a wide brimmed hat. When hiking in the desert be careful not to brush up against the cacti. Most of these are very thorny, and the chain fruit chollas, sometimes called “jumping cactus,” even though they don’t actually jump, only need a light brush to break a small piece off that will then attach itself to your clothing or skin. Do not try to remove it with your fingers. Use two rocks, pliers, tweezers, or a comb to flip the joint away. Remember that you are in scorpion and rattlesnake country, so watch where you place your hands and feet when climbing around.

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park
    • Desert

• Hydrate or die

by zap9 Written Jan 21, 2003

It's a dry heat, which makes it all the more dangerous. In the late spring and summer (anytime the temp is 95 or higher), be sure to take a water bottle with you everywhere and sip frequently. By the time you feel thirsty, you're already on the road to dehydration and the accompanying headache, nausea, and potential heat exhaustion. This tip isn't just for hiking, but for getting around town in general. Supplementing water with Gatorade works the best; don't rely on soft drinks.

• bottleofdoom's Profile Photo

Prepare for the Desert

by bottleofdoom Written Sep 7, 2002

It is very hot here in the summer and very dry. Drink lots of water, even if you don't feel particulary thirsty. Water is the best rehydrator. Sunscreen is a must. Hats and long sleeves, even in the summer are recommended to keep from getting burned. If you go off-road into the desert, make sure you have a full tank of gas and lots of water with you. The desert is an unforgiving place. When hiking, bring lots of water with you and some trail mix and beware of rattlesnakes. I've never seen one yet, but most of my friends have.
    Beware of flash floods during monsoon season (July-Sept.). It often rains heavily in the late afternoon and washes and dips fill up very quickly. DON'T ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THROUGH A WASH! There's always somebody every year that has to be rescued by the fire dept. so they've enacted a law where you have to pay for your own rescue. The waters can move very fast and you can be washed away in a matter of seconds. Just wait until rain stops or turn around and find alternate route.

• Kidproton's Profile Photo

The heat. It's dry. Very...

by Kidproton Written Aug 25, 2002

The heat. It's dry. Very very dry. If you're from Texas or the deep south, you probably can't pathom heat without humidity. Dry heat will dehydrate you. Don't stop drinking and shield your head from the sun. If you can also drench your head, you'll do a lot better. The Jumping cactus and scorpions are also dangerous (in different degrees).

Instant Answers: Tucson