Fallsville Travel Guide

• Fallsville
    by razorbacker
  • "The Glory Hole" waterfall.
  • Another view of
    Another view of "The Glory Hole."

Fallsville Things to Do

• razorbacker's Profile Photo

by razorbacker Updated Jul 1, 2012

Well, AETN has quite an interesting documentary on this trail and the geographical phenomenon of "The Glory Hole." I believe you can access it on You Tube. *You may want to do that!!!* This was quite a strenuous undertaking for me, but then I've been quite ill for some months. There is a mountain stream that through the force of a waterfall off the rock has eroded a large, circular orifice through the stone below into a cave. You can access the cave from downstream. If you do so, you will find a waterfall pouring through the roof of the cave into a pool. From there the mountain stream continues out of the cave and down the hill and ultimately into the Buffalo National River. To find the site travel 6.2 miles north of the Fallsville junction on Hwy 21. There is an abandoned house on the left side of the highway and a sort of rough parking spot below the right side. The first part of the trail is pretty wide, straight, and level and could accommodate an ATV or truck. You will come to a "Y" in the trail. There's a large signboard there, but it's been vandalized. Take the footpath DOWN the hill to the RIGHT. You'll cross two small creeks before you arrive at the site. You'll recognize it because there is a large pan of rolling stone just above it, and you may hear the waterfall as well. The opening is about the size of a VW bug. My problem was a late start from a cemetery way back in the hills. By the time I got to the trailhead it was already 1900 locally. It was full dusk by the time I reached it and full dark by the time I got back to my vehicle, but that was with frequent rests. I elected not to enter the cave because of the late hour and my condition. It took me 45 minutes to get to the site and 75 minutes to climb back out.

Along the trail. A small waterfall along the way. Upstream from Another view of
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Fallsville

Comments

Fallsville Travel Guide
Map of Fallsville