Petit Jean State Park Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Petit Jean State Park

Petit Jean State Park Things to Do

• The Winding Arkansas River

My brother told me that the water is so clean around these parts that water can be drunk straight from the river. The water did appear to be immaculate and what not, but I was refused to believe that it was safe enough to drink without going through some sort of filtration. The river looked cool from the top of hte mountain, nevertheless.

• Cedar Falls

We hiked down the cliff into the Cedar Falls gorge; it was extremely difficult for me as I sprained my right ankle shortly after embarking on the trip. I probably shouldn't have hiked the three-mile trip (at least I believe it was three miles), but I figured I would never have the opportunity again -- no disrespect intended, but Arkansas isn't my...

• Petit Jean's Gravesite

According to local legend, the Petit Jean Mountain was named after a young woman, of French descent, who discovered that her fiancee, an adventurer, had volunteered to explore the area with Hernando De Soto, a Spanish explorer; she became so upset over this discovery that she cut her hair, disguised herself as a man, and volunteered to be a cabin...

• Visit The Falls

For thousands of years, visitors have come to see this magnificent waterfall. Among the most beautiful in Arkansas, this fall flows even in dry weather (when the photograph at right was taken) and is the centerpiece of Petit Jean State Park. Archaeologists know that Native Americans first explored the area around Cedar Falls thousands of years....

• You've Got To Enjoy The View

When driving up the mountain, stop and take a look of your surroundings. The scenery is vast and will leave your speechless.

• Behind the waterfall

I felt like in the movie "The Last of the Mohicans" when I walked behind this waterfall, except this fall is not as big as the one in the movie. Be careful cause the trail behind the fall is rocky and the rocks are very wet and slippery.

Petit Jean State Park Restaurants

by greenCoral Written Apr 25, 2005

I think Mather Lodge was the name of the restaurant. If I am wrong, it was still located in Mather Lodge, situated at the lookout of the state park, right before the trail leading to Cedar Falls. We ordered different sandwiches for take out and ate atop a clif....it was beautiful and the food was delicious, or so I thought after a good long hike :)

Petit Jean State Park Shopping

by greenCoral Written Apr 25, 2005

You can buy fire wood at the welcome center when you first get there. I think it was $2 for a bundle....if you are staying for longer than a night, get between 4-5 bundles. We stayed one night and got 2, which were enough.

Petit Jean State Park Warnings and Dangers

by greenCoral Written Apr 25, 2005

When trying to get behind the waterfall (Cedar Falls) be very careful. The rocks are wet and you can easily slip. Wear shoes with a good grip and walk slowly. Once you get there it is beautiful and you'll be glad you did.

• Hiking and Walking

Petit Jean State Park What to Pack

by greenCoral Updated Apr 25, 2005

Luggage and bags: Remember to bring garbage bags for all your trash.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Hiking boots, warm long sleeve shirt.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bug Repellent, sun screen, first aid kit.

Photo Equipment: Water proof camera along with a good camera.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Try to invest in a good sleeping bag (meaning not a $9.95 Wal Mart one) - it can get pretty cold at night. And make sure you have some sort of padding too...you'll sleep better.

Miscellaneous: Flashlight or a lantern. Lots of bottled water. Maybe a swimsuit :)

Instant Answers: Petit Jean State Park

Comments

Explore Deeper into Petit Jean State Park
Hiking