Safety Tips in Arkansas

by BruceDunning

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Arkansas

• Florida999's Profile Photo

by Florida999 Written May 9, 2006

Watch weather! There are often tornadoes in Arkansas and there were several bad ones right before our trip. There was a severe thunderstorm warning while we spent the night on Mount Magazine and we all sat in the truck for a few hours until it passed.
    Take a weather radio!

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Obey Warning Signs

by Basaic Written Sep 12, 2009

When I visited the Queen Wilhelmina State Park warning signs like this were posted at several locations throughout the park, changing my plans for a nice hike. These signs remind us that the animals we see at parks like this, no matter how tame and friendly they seem, are still wild animals. Normally, if you do not bother them they do not bother you. Do not feed, pet or otherwise bother them. If an animal is acting sick or strangely report them to the park rangers immediately, and stay away from them.

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

• kristindwalk's Profile Photo

In the summer, watch out for...

by kristindwalk Written Aug 26, 2002

In the summer, watch out for the snakes...we have lots of them and they're real nasty, poisonous little buggers (even in the water, you've got to watch the moccasins and the rattlesnakes can swim and WILL try to get in the boat with you!). Don't go in the woods without some kind of protection against the ticks. Tick fever is common here.

• Kiisu's Profile Photo

Annoying Critters

by Kiisu Updated Apr 18, 2003

When going in the back country, watch out for ticks, seed ticks(itty-bitty ticks that look like red dots), chiggers (you won't notice these until it's too late!), and other annoying bugs. Prevention is best -- use some bug spray to avoid annoying bites, avoid walking through tall weeds, and check yourself after being outside (ticks love snug clothing). Be careful for snakes (copperheads and cottonmouths are common here in the Ozarks), and all sorts of other animals including skunks, raccoons, bear, and even "razorbacks" (wild hogs). Some are interesting, some are even cute, but they're all wild animals that should be given their distance.

• Fishing
    • Camping
    • Hiking and Walking

• sabe's Profile Photo

Ok..don't go out in the forest...

by sabe Written Aug 24, 2002

Ok..don't go out in the forest posing as a deer..not even a moose is a good idea, ye hear me! You will, I repeat, You Will, get shot and probably get all the way to the kitchen before they realize what the hell they got in the fryingpan.

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo

Poison Ivy

by Astrobuck Written Jul 22, 2007

Poison Ivy seems to run rampant all throughout the entire state of Arkansas. Based on what I observed this trip, I think I have seen more poison ivy in 4 days than I have seen my entire life.

But don't worry. A lot of the poison ivy is kind of away from the main trail, and as long as you look where you are stepping and wear socks along with tennis shoes (or hiking boots), your chance of getting any of it on you is minimal. Poison ivy affects different people different ways. For example, I can get it on me, and not break out. But another person can get it on him/her and break out in a huge rash.

Although I don't have any "home remedies" like I do for jellyfish stings, I hear calamine lotion works pretty good. You can get some at most pharmacies.

Poison Ivy Patch (#1 of MANY)
    • Adventure Travel

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Lookout!!!This is the airplane...

by frankcanfly Written Sep 12, 2002

This is the airplane I used to explore Arkansas from above when I lived there.

Don't look up!!

Petit Jean State Park Hotels
13 Reviews - 28 Photos

Instant Answers: Arkansas

Arkansas Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Arkansas warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Arkansas sightseeing.
Map of Arkansas