Allensworth Things to Do

  • Things to Do
    by Yaqui
  • Things to Do
    by Yaqui
  • Things to Do
    by Yaqui

Most Recent Things to Do in Allensworth

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Stockett House

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    The plaque reads:
    Abraham and Ida Stockett arrived in Allensworth in 1910. They built their home and later that year Mr. Stockett helped their neighbor, James Hackett, construct his house. In 1913, under the direction of Mrs. Allensworth, he remodeled the town's first school building for use as the Allensworth public library. Mr. Stockett was know for his skills as a carpenter, painter, repairman and mechanic. He was an active member of the community and served as secretary for both the Allensworth Chamber of Commerce and the Allensworth Mutual Water Association. In December of 1932, a fire destroyed both the Hackett and Stockett homes. Instead of rebuilding in Allensworth, Mr. and Mrs. Stockett moved to Delano, California.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Hackett House & Barn

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    The plaque reads:
    James Hackett, his son Arthur, and Abraham Stockett constructed the house in 1910, although the Hackett family continued to live in Alameda, California. The house first served as a temporary school for the Allensworth community and then functioned as the Hackett's vacation home. It was not until 1916-1917 that James and Alice Hackett, their son Paul, and their three youngest daughters moved here. The family kept their place in Alameda, but entered fully into the community life at Allensworth. They grew extensive gardens and kept chickens, a horse, and a cow. Mr. Hackett also ran a small business from the barn, selling building materials and other goods. The original house and neighboring Stockett home were destroyed by a fire in December of 1932.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    John L. Whitehead Jr Campground

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    The bronze plaque reads:
    This campground is dedicated to the memory of Lt. Col. John L. Whitehead Jr. U.S.A.F (RET.). A lover of California's State Parks and Dedicated to Community Service, Mr. Whitehead served as a State Park Commissioner from August 19, 1984. Until January 1992. Col Allensworth State Historic Park was one of his favorites. May 15, 1993

    Camping:
    Fifteen campsites, open all year, will accommodate RVs or tents. Each site includes a picnic table and a camp stove; flush toilets are nearby. Facilities for disabled people are available. Turf, trees, and shade ramadas are other features. A nearby picnic area is shaded by 75 large trees, planted by the California Conservation Corps.

    Overflow campsites are still available during the Centennial Celebration weekend, October 11 and 12. Visit the ReserveAmerica website or call (800) 444-7275 for reservations.

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Visitor Center & Day Use Area~

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    From the State Park site:

    Seasons/Climate Recommended Clothing:
    The Central Valley, is hot in summer and mild in winter. Rain falls from October through April. Winter temperatures below freezing can bring frost, but snow is rare. Summer temperatures above 100 degrees are part of the normal pattern.

    Visitor Center and Tours:
    The park has a visitor center and tours are available by making arrangements with the park in advance. The visitor center features a video presentation, "Allensworth: A Piece of the World," which is available for viewing from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday thru Sunday.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Carter House & Livery

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    The plaque reads:
    Warren Carter, his wife Mariah, and their twenty two year old son Elmer came to Allensworth in 1910. Upon arrival, Mr. Carter and Elmer built this house and a livery stable northwest of their home. Elmer ran the family owned livery business, providing horses and vehicles for traveling visitors. In 1915 the stock and horse drawn vehicles were sold to William Dotson, who moved the livery service next to his home on Dunbar Ave. The Carters continued to live in Allensworth. Elmer married Maniotta Archer, a member of the community, and settle in a house near the school. Their son Eugene was born in October of 1916. Elmer supported his new family by working on local farms and ranches. By 1920, both Carter families had moved to Tulare, California.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Dodson House and Restaurant

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    The plaque reads:
    William and Louise Dotson and their four children, moved to Allensworth from Oakland, California. Upon arrival, Mr. Dotson supported the family working at various jobs. In 1914, they opened a restaurant in the front part of their home. Expanding from their restaurant business, Mr. Dotson purchased Elmer Carter's livery service in 1915 and built a large barn to the north of his house. He also constructed a small blacksmith area where an itinerant smith provided minor services, such as horseshoeing and repairing ironwork on farm equipment and vehicles for the town folks. Dotson's timing for his livery service, however, was unfortunate. Railroad freight was a major source of business for Allensworth, but a spur line to Alpaugh, constructed in 1914, took most of the traffic. Mr. Dotson and his wife continued their commitment to the community. He was elected as Allensworth's first constable in 1914. Mrs. Dotson served as custodian of the Allensworth public library from 1916 to 1919, when they moved to Fresno, California.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Ashby House, Dairy Barn and Milkhouse

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    The plaque reads:
    The first residence built in Allensworth was the Ashby house. John Ashby, his wife Vena, and their son Louis moved here in 1909. Mr. Ashby worked as section boss for the Santa Fe Railroad. He also ran a small dairy with 10 or 12 cows. A dairy barn was built on their property to accommodate this business. The Ashbys lived in their house until 1915, when they moved to the town of Bowles, near Fresno, California. The house was rented to Norvin Powell, his wife and baby for about a year. A fire destroyed the house. Fortunately, the Powell family safely escaped the blaze.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Allensworth House

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    The plaque reads:
    Colonel Allen Allensworth, one of the five founders of the town, and his wife, Josephine, purchased a prefabricated house for this lot. The building's sections were delivered by railroad and assembled in 1911. With his ongoing promotion of the town, the Colonel and his family divided their time between their home in Los Angeles, California and the rural life of the Allensworth community. Colonel Allensworth was born a slave in 1842. He escaped and gained his freedom during the Civil War. He was commissioned as a chaplain of the 24th Infantry of the US Army in 1886. When he retired as a lieutenant colonel in 1906, he held the highest rank achieved to date by an African American army officer. The town of Allensworth was his dream. The restored Allensworth home is now a museum, open on request to the public.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Phillips House

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    1 more image

    The plaque reads:

    Sergeant James Phillips, his wife Birdie and their four children arrived in Allensworth in 1911. Colonel Allensworth invited soldiers from his regiment, the 24th Infantry, to join the community; Sergeant Phillips was one of the soldiers to accept the offer. His family moved into a "portable" or sectional house. At least five of these homes were constructed here. The Phillips' youngest child, Irene, was born in Allensworth in November of 1911. Sergeant Phillips was unable to settle here with his family while still in service. In 1917, he retired from the army in San Francisco, but was seriously ill and died a few months after retiring. Members of the Allensworth community signed affidavits to help Mrs. Phillips obtain her widow's pension. She went on to become the custodian of the Allensworth public library from 1919 to 1926, when the family moved to Porterville, California.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    First Baptist Church

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    The plaque reads:
    Colonel Allensworth donated this property for a church to the Northern California Baptist Convention in August 1914. The Colonel's tragic death a month later spurred the community to build the church. Construction began in 1915, under the direction of Reverend J.L. Allen, a missionary pastor for the Baptist group. Reverend Allen led an impressive dedication of the completed church in March of 1916. Prior to the buildings demolition in 1967, the First Baptist Church had served its congregation for over forty years, providing a place of worship and a gathering place for graduations, weddings, and funerals.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Allensworth Elementary School

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    The plaque reads:
    This two room school was built in 1912, replacing the smaller schoolhouse that Josephine Allensworth purchased and had remodeled to become the town's public library. The children of the Allensworth community attended school here through the eight grade. Graduation included impressive ceremonies and was a major event for the town. The building also served as a community center, assembly hall, polling place and church. The restored Allensworth school is now a museum, open on request to the public.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Mary Dickinson Memorial Library

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    The plaque reads:
    Mrs. Josephine Allensworth purchased the town's first school building and had it moved to this location in 1913 to serve as a branch of the Tulare Country Library system. Abraham Stockett, a local carpenter, was employed to enlarge and modify the structure after the move. Mrs. Allensworth stated that her gift of the library to the town was to honor her mother Mary Dickerson; to serve the community; and to provide employment for "a worthy young woman." The library immediately became a popular source of reading 1930's, the library books and magazines were moved to Hindsman's Store, where the branch continued to function until 1943.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Family Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Scott and Gross Drug Store

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    3 more images

    The plaque reads:
    William Scott and Mrs. Mary Gross established a drug store at this location in 1911. Mrs. Gross set up her living quarters in the back of the building, but later moved to a small house east of the store. As a trained nurse, she provided medical care for many of the town's early residents. Mrs. Gross's business partner, William Scott, owned the lot and building and assisted in running the store. The Scott-Gross Drug Company offered a variety of items unavailable in Allensworth's general stores, including patent medicines, toothpaste, newspaper and magazines, and stationery. Among the "women's things" Mrs. Gross sold were perfume, cosmetics, jewelry, and some clothing. After Mrs. Gross's death in 1918, Mr. Scoot briefly ran the store, but closed it the following year.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Historical Travel
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Milner House and Barbershop

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    The plaque reads:
    Frank Milner arrived in Allensworth from the Bay Area in 1911 and set up his first barbershop in a small frame house just west of this location. In 1914, with volunteers from the community, he constructed a concrete block structure similar to the reconstructed building on the site. Milner's Barbershop played an important part in early town life. The pioneer women of the community stated that the men would meet here to discuss "all manner of agreements and disagreements." The community band, organized by Joshua Singleton, also practiced in the shop. By 1922, Frank Milner had closed his business and moved to Tulare, California, where he opened another barbershop. His new business continue for another 25 years. Many of his Allensworth neighbors came to Tulare as customers.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Yaqui's Profile Photo

    Smith House

    by Yaqui Updated Sep 6, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    2 more images

    The plaque reads:
    In the spring of 1910, Frank and Laura Smith arrived in Allensworth where they built their home and planted "the best truck garden in the district." When Frank died the following year, Mrs. Smith was left with their property and a military pension of $12 a month. A resourceful and energetic woman, she continued to cultivate her vegetable garden, raised chickens for sale, and opened her home to boarders. her cow also provided milk for the household and cream for sale to the local dairies. Mrs. Smith was a prominent member of the community, belonging to the Women's Improvement Club and the Cemetery Association, and serving as president of the Allensworth Mutual Water Association.

    Star Route 1
    Box 148
    Earlimart, California 93219

    Related to:
    • Road Trip
    • Family Travel
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Allensworth

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

105 travelers online now

Comments

Allensworth Travel Guide

Allensworth Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Allensworth things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Allensworth sightseeing.

View all Allensworth hotels