Alviso Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Alviso

Not the Sharpest Tool in the Shed

by Pounder73 Updated Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: Yup, he’s trying to lock his jaw back up. He’s in feeding mode still, eyes fixed on me - but can’t do much striking right now. Sucka… I must let him rest and settle down again.

Once he settles down, he starts to climb up under the lid. He only gets so far because his fat belly can no longer fit up there. Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Homosapians vs Snakes

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: It was not until the precursors primates of Homosapians began to eat high protein diets of meat, that their brains began to grow and develop. Once brains began to get larger and more wrinkled, then they begin the ability to self-actualize into animals that has the ability to choose not to eat meat. (i.e. vegetarian) Ironic.

Regardless, these guys need all the help they can get, there’s not much brain in that head. It’s all brainstem and jaw muscles.

Engulfing

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: Jaws are unlocked, and slowly “walked” up the snakey-cake. And then uses his body like an accordion, crunching itself up, crabbing the food with the back of the its neck, and then stretching out the upper neck/head until the whole thing is engulfed.

No Breach Feedings

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: Once the snake feels its food is ready for consumption, it will
    .1 release his teeth from the prey
    .2 look around to see if the coast is clear, (read: when feeding they are in the greatest state of vulnerability to predators)
    .3 brush its chin up and down the food, to make sure which side goes down first, by the direction of fur. (A “breach feeding” can be bad.)

Ohhhh... The Humanity!!!

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: I feed the rats dead for two reasons: 1) humanity (as odd as that sounds) 2) and rats with large rat teeth can be harmful to the snake. (read: visits to the vet for snake stitches would not be fun) This rat was pre-killed by me. I can only guarantee a quick and painless act, but spare you the details

Ready....

by Pounder73 Updated Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: most boas have poor eyesight; this one takes after his momma. Unbelievable eyesight for a boa. Bombs away!!! With snake food this close, he could be blind as a bat.

One quick smell, then….BAMMMMM!!!!!

There ARE Jamaican Boas

by Pounder73 Updated Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: there are Jamaican boas, they are about the size of Hogg Islands. About the only info I found on Rat Trap Jamaica is that it is about 20 miles south of Montego Bay and it is over 1000ft elevation.

30 minutes later, he’s very chill. I grabbed him without even a flinch. (also without pictures, dropping, or food in the house)

Keeping the Traveling Theme Alive

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: To further support my case on keeping this on a traveling website, while eating my carne asada taco, the “Travel Channel” was showing an African Rock Python eating a grown gazelle (you guessed it) in Africa. These can be human eaters. I hope the baby is taking notes.

Unhappy Camper

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: yup. I’m in trouble. I tried taking a pic while grabbing for him. He was “slightly dropped”, the camera flash pissed him off, he now smells the food – This is what we call a “strike position.” He was not faking it. I’ve never seen him this piszed off before, hissing and striking, flopping his tail. Even rising up like a cobra! Cool…

Let the Feedings Begin

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: it is a hot day, about 102deg. I am happy the house I rent is shaded. It is amazing on the housing prices here. If this house were to sell today, even in this terrible market, it would go for about $625,000.00. (3 bedroom, 1500sq ft) For the same house in Pennsylvania, you move the decimal over to the left one space.

Authentic... Foods

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: mmmm… authentic Mexican food. One thing I love about California, we have very worldly authentic cuisine. Make no mistake, we got plenty of Haule spots as well; Taco Bell is within a stones throw of this place.

Floaties

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: In case you wonder, these rats are “put to sleep.” Never feeling a thing. Our hamburger patties are not treated as humanely. Unless they are made from kobe beef. Man, if I were to come back as a cow… if I couldn’t live in India or California, I want to live in Kobe.

One eye on me

by Pounder73 Updated Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: Boas are not poisonous. They do not have fangs, but many sharp teeth pointed back. In the wild, the head of the prey will be bit to prevent the fighting/biting back and then the coils will suffocate.

Coming in for a landing

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: In his feed box, coiled back… he knows what this box is used for. I play “airplane” with the snakey-cake. I am going to be a good dad someday. RRRrrrr put put put…RRRrrrRRRRrrrRRRrrr.

It is Official, I am a Dumb-arse

by Pounder73 Written Jul 2, 2003

Favorite thing: I’m beginning to suspect he does, he is very “aware.” I snap a couple pics. Have I mentioned he hates cameras? (not joking) I snap a few more off. I am now an official dumb-arse.

Instant Answers: Alviso

Comments

Alviso Favorites

Reviews and photos of Alviso favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alviso sightseeing.