Alviso Marina County park is a 18.9-acre bayside park, Though small in size, it offers the only public launch ramp in South Bay area, the ramp provides access to Alviso Slough which flows four miles to the open waters of San Francisco Bay.
The boat launch includes a pier for non-motorized craft, such as kayaks and canoes, and another for launching large motorized boats.
Alviso Marina County Park is open year-round from 8am to sunset. There are no fees collected for vehicle entry or launching.
The Tilden-Laine House, last of the Italianate Victorian homes that once lined Elizabeth Street.
It stands lonely on this desert street, but beautifuly preserved
Susan Ortley Tilden's house (970 Elizabeth Street, Alviso) is the grandest reminder of the town's prosperous past. The Italianate-Eastlake house was built in 1887 by the wife of David Tilden, one of the town's most prosperous merchants and justice of the peace. Elizabeth Street was once lined with many Victorian homes, but the Tilden-Laine house is the only one that still stands.
The Laine family operated the Laine General Store next door until 1912.
(taken from Andy's infrared website)
Reported to be the original home of John O. Martin, built in 1860. John was the first Scotsman to settle in Alviso -- in 1853.
The home is adjacent to the Big Yellow Ghost House, on Catherine Street. It is owned by Amelia Vahl.
Thomas Foon Chew:
Founder of the Bayside Cannery
In 1906, at the age of seventeen, Thomas Foon Chew was brought into his father's business, Bayside Cannery, which at the time only canned tomatoes. With the progressive ideas and amazing business sense of Foon, the cannery would begin to make the transition into one of the most successful businesses in the Bay area. During his introduction into, and subsequent inheritance of the business, Foon expanded the Bayside Cannery into the third largest cannery in the world, next to nationally known canneries, Del Monte and Libby.
Located in the city of Alviso in the Santa Clara Valley, Foon created and used new innovative ideas to improve the Bayside Cannery. These ideas included a machine that quickened the washing of tomato crates before they went back out to the field, as well as the use of tugboats to utilize the nearby San Francisco Bay for transportation of his goods. Through the invention of asparagus sorting and processing equipment invented by one of his workers, Foon earned the title of Asparagus King because he was the first cannery to can green asparagus and was one of the most capable canners of this vegetable.
It closed in 1936 for good.
Built prior to 1865
Laines Grocery from 1940 to 1960 - owned and operated by Willis Laine - who lived next door. Miraculously, the building has survived the ravages of time and flood.
Tilden General Store from 1865 to 1912, the family business of Susan Ortley Tilden and her daughter Minerva. During the lawless 1930's it was a saloon, dance hall, and site of a secret Chinese lottery.
Willis Laine recently passed on, and with him a bit of Alviso.
Info from sjunderbelly.com
There are numerous historic houses in Alviso well-preserved by their caring owners. The city is below sea level and protected by a dig but it's frequently subject to flood which damage everything.