Tourist Attractions in Anaheim

• overpriced Gelato Bar stand, Disneyland area
    overpriced Gelato Bar stand, Disneyland...
    Disney art gallery, Anaheim, CA
  • overrated Build A Bear workshop, Disneyland
    overrated Build A Bear workshop,...

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Anaheim

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

California Pirates Dinner Adventure

by Camping_Girl Written Jan 21, 2007

At $49 Pirates was a huge waste of our time & money. The meal was to include an appetizer buffet, a served dinner, the performance & drinks during the meal. I even went back to their website before writing this to double-check that I had read the description correctly.

We arrived December 24/06 roughly 40 minutes before the stated start time and had to stand crowded into a room with 100 other people for about 25 minutes until we were seated.

According to their website this is the description of the menu : "...you are invited to start off your evening with a bountiful appetizer buffet. Enjoy the King’s assorted salads, tasty snacks, and special sauces. The festival buffet is prepared to whet the appetite of royalty and commoner alike....a feast awaiting that can satisfy even the hungriest of pirates!..."

There is no appetizer buffet. When we were seated, there was a very tiny garden salad at our place setting. The dinner consisted of a quarter roast chicken (dark meat only) & your choice of roast beef & gravy or shrimp alfredo. It was served with vegetables & a choice of rice or mashed potatoes. Dessert was apple crisp. The food tasted alright but was a little cold.

For free "alcoholic" drinks with dinner you could choose from really bad sparkling red wine (think "baby duck") or beer. I know that I am used to 5% Cdn beer, but I had 6 beer with dinner (Trying to make up for the non-existent buffet I paid for!) & I never got so much as a buzz from it. For about $16 you could buy a "premium" drink & even keep the cheap plastic glass that it was served in.

Our server was very friendly & I really felt sorry for him as he was in charge of dishing up the food onto each plate, plus serving the food, clearing the plates & bringing drink refills. And because I paid for an appetizer buffet which was apparently invisible, I did not tip this man when I left. I just felt that I had been gouged too badly.

The entertainment was really cheesy & the singing & acting was poor.I found the whole thing to be quite forgettable.

Unique Suggestions: If you do decide to go to this performance, at least try to request seats in the red or orange sections, since these appeared to have the best unobstructed views of the stage. And maybe ask how many hours before the suggested arrival time you should arrive if you expect to see the appetizer buffet.

Fun Alternatives: For the money we spent on this hour of entertainment, we could have easily had an outstanding dinner in any top restaurant in the area.

This place is one of the worst rip-offs I have ever encountered.

• Music

Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort
Latest: Apr 10, 2014
Ramada Plaza Hotel Anaheim Resort

Instant Answers: Anaheim

Comments

Anaheim Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Anaheim locals.
Map of Anaheim