Barstow Restaurants

The Dixie Inn
    by Echo_29
    Dated, but unique decor
    by Yaqui
    Not much to look at till your inside
    by Yaqui

Best Rated Restaurants in Barstow

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Idle Spurs Steakhouse: Not kid friendly!

by Yaqui Updated Dec 2, 2012

We stopped in here to have dinner after our lovely day at Calico Ghost Town in Yermo. Since it is located off Old Hwy 58, we thought why not try it out. The place is very rustic and much bigger inside than you realize. It is very dated decor, but still very nice and unique. The waitress was really nice.

Yet, here is my beef with them!If you have kids or teenagers this may not be a good place to take them. They had a kids menu, but my son Nate did not like the chicken tenders at all, and me and my hubby tasted them too and we didn't like them either YUK, but the potato wedges were good at least so Nate ate those at least. Also, they served no hamburgers on the adult menu...go figure a steakhouse not have hamburgers...hmmm!!! Well, none the less my son Nick didn't want anything else on the menu and that is how he is. So since they had hamburgers on the kids meal, I asked if we could order one for him. The poor waitress looked around as if parinod and said she couldn't order that because he was older than 12 or she could get fired. Do you believe that?!! Fire a waitress for making sure a child got fed. Hmmm, so John odered a steak dinner which was good, BUT it was not your monies worth. At little stingy with the portions and I had the Deep Fried Zucchini and it was good. So, we split our food with our son so he would have something to eat. We asked for the some extra bread and the waitress seemed put off with that request. Yet, she brought some anyways. Plus, they stuck us in the corner by the serving center which was uncomfortable and noisy...I take it they didn't like the looks of minorities or children. I was not going to even post this, but after awhile I thought wrong is wrong and people should no about this action. So there it is. If your an adult and not a minority, then this place is ok.

McDonalds Train Cars: One of the largest McDonalds

by Yaqui Updated Nov 14, 2007

What can I say about McDonalds. You either like them or you don't. This one is somewhat unique since its dinning area consists of trains cars, which my boys thought was so neato. It was fairly clean and the service was fast. Yet, it is connected to the Barstow Station, which gives you other choices to eat at and access to the gift shops, ice cream shop, and bus services that are located at the back.

Ambiance Country Steakhouse: Route 66 Location

by Yaqui Updated Nov 15, 2007

I wanted to list some places I notice right from the get go. I have not tried this establishment, but plan too the next time we go there again. It looked trendy and approachable. It's located in a old department store building on the old Route 66 strip, which seemed pretty cool.

Panda Express: Good Food

by Yaqui Updated Nov 14, 2007

Panda Express has some wonderful food, inexpensive and fast. It was interesting to see it in the Barstow Station, which gives the weary traveler a choice if they don't want McDonalds. Loads of seating available with 6 train cars to sit in too!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Denny's: Not surprise to see one:-)

by Yaqui Updated Nov 15, 2007

This is the type of Denny's I am familiar with. They've held onto the original structure for its time period. Many of the Denny's across California have gone to that retro design, which is nice. The one in our area has gone with a western decor. This one is just fine the way it is. It is just down the street from the Barstow Station if you want a nice place to sit to eat. My family likes Denny's because of the reasonable price and quality of food.

• spartan's Profile Photo

Penny's Diner: A "blast from the past"

by spartan Updated Apr 8, 2003

The restaurant brings you back in time to the late 50's and early 60's. Hand dipped shakes, huge portions and early rock "n" roll music. The diner is open 24 hours, has a casual atmosphere, and serves American cuisine cooked to order.

Favorite Dish: I ordered The Clubhouse Sandwich (slices of turkey, ham and bacon with lettuce, tomatoes and mayo on wheat toast) with seasoned fries and a coke.

• Idle Spurs Steak House: Red Meat!

by Echo_29 Written Oct 21, 2003

Typical steak fare kinda' place. Large and comfortable with view windows to the south towards the train yards.

Favorite Dish: Since we don't eat red meat this place was kind of a waste on us but the rest of the group enjoyed steaks, ribs and hearty portions. My chicken was great but Mary says pass on the fish (spoiled in Croatia) it was too dry.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Coco's Bakery Restaurant: Chain Food but OK

by johngayton Written Jul 24, 2006

Shrimp Skewers

This is a chain of "family orientated" restaurants located in the South West with 115 branches in Califonia, Nevada, Arizona and Colorado with an upmarket menu of American classics with a few Mexican touches. Service here in Barstow was friendly and efficient and despite our server just about to go off duty she made a point of checking that we had everything we needed before she left (though she did make sure that we had a bill with her name on it for the tip of course!).

The restaurant is modern, clean and with an open kitchen, though perhaps a tad plasticky, but good ambience and everyone seemed to be enjoying thier food.

No complaints whatsoever.

Favorite Dish: Shrimp skewers with bourbon dip and spring onions was excellent, served with pilau rice and vegetables and a basket of home-baked bread. With a couple of pints of Sam Adams was still well under the $20 mark.

• Beer Tasting

Casa Jimenez: The finest Mexican food in town

by spartan Written Jan 24, 2006

Favorite Dish: As soon as we were seated, the waitress brought over a basket of homemade tortilla chips, salsa and hot sauce. For dinner, I had the special of the house...Fillet Mignon & Fried Shrimp (served with potatoes, rice, beans, flour tortillas and salad).

Quigley's Restaurant: A tradition of hospitality

by spartan Written Nov 2, 2003

If you are familiar with the Coco's Restaurant chain, then when you walk into Quigley's you'll think the same. The food is excellent and the service is prompt.

Favorite Dish: I had John's Spicy Sandwich (grilled sourdough bread, breast of chicken dipped in spicy breading, Monterey Jack cheese, lettuce, tomato and thick steak cut fries).

Donut Star & Star Wok Express: Great food at an inexpensive price

by spartan Updated Nov 5, 2003

You'd never expect that a place which makes donuts would also serve delicious Chinese food. It's an unassuming place, but that's always where you find the best food.

Favorite Dish: I chose Orange Chicken, Chicken with Mushrooms, fried rice and chow mein.

• spartan's Profile Photo

The Idle Spurs Steakhouse: Classy Steakhouse in the desert!!!

by spartan Updated Nov 5, 2003

Set in a ranch type setting, this restaurant for being out in the middle of the desert serves a pretty good steak with all the fix'ins.

Favorite Dish: Try any one of the following, you will not be disappointed: New York Strip, Top Sirloin, Prime Rib, Ribs and the Chicken/Rib Combo Platter. The salad is created right at your table and the employees are friendly and customer focused.

Slash X Ranch Cafe: Erin Brockovitch was filmed here

by spartan Updated Dec 13, 2002

Out of the way restaurant with wonderful service and huge portions. Part of the movie Erin Brockovich (starring Julia Roberts) was filmed here.

Favorite Dish: Try the 16 oz. T-bone steak (cooked to medium wellness) with onion rings (huge and lots of'em) and toast (dripping in garlic), plus a nice cold Sam Adams brewski to wash it.

• spartan's Profile Photo

Carlos & Toto's: 'A Mexican Restaurant'

by spartan Updated Dec 13, 2002

Mom and Pop resaurant serving authentic mexican food at good prices.

Favorite Dish: I've only eaten here once, but the meal I had was delicious. I forgot the name of the dish, but there was rice, beans, blackened shrimp and more. I usually visit this restaurant to quench my thirst for margarita's.

DiNapoli's Firehouse Restaurant: Pretty good Italian

by spartan Updated Dec 13, 2002

This restaurant which is situated in a converted firehouse serves great italian food at good prices. A family run store, they do a very good job.

Favorite Dish: The sandwiches, pizza and chicken fettuccine (in alfredo sauce) are to die for...Fantastico!!!

Instant Answers: Barstow

Comments

Barstow Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Barstow restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Barstow sightseeing.