This cannon is located right in front of the 1880 Courthouse.
The Plaque Reads: Presented to the town of Bridgeport by J. S. Cain in 1914. Built in 1881 by J. Renault, machinist for the Standard Co. of Bodie, Calif. This cannon was never fired.
Erected 1969 by Mono County Board of Supervisors.
On this site stood the original site of Bridgeport Chronicle – Union newspaper in 1880 while still publishing the Bodie Chronicle, the Folger Brothers, Robert and Alex started the Bridgeport Union. The first number of the Bridgeport paper appeared on May 15, 1880 and with the completion of the new courthouse, they were assured of plenty county printing so they moved their bodie plant to Bridgeport, merged the two papers, and created the Bridgeport Chronicle – Union.
Plaque Dedicated September 12, 1981
Bodie Chapter of E Clampus Vitus
There are several markers on the front of the historic courthouse. Be sure to check them out if you stop to see this wonderful building.
This one is on top to the right of the main door.
1880 Supervisors-Morris Dick,Chairman,W.A.Loose, William Witherall
1980 Supervisors-Eugene J. Hanson, Chairman, Coy D. Zigler, Vice-Chairman, Joan T. Green, Don N. Sharp, Jr., Robert J. Stanford
Plaque dedicated July 5, 1980 by the Mono County Board of Supervisors.
Mono County Court House
The plaque reads: Since April 1, 1881 with the trial of Morton, indicted for theft of gold bullion from the Standard Co. of Bodie, the scales of justice in this building have continuously weighed the problems of Mono County from infancy to this present day. This impressive building remains a classic example of the artisans of yesterday.
Plaque Dedicated September 25, 1965 by Bodie Chapter of E. Vitus Clampus in Coaction with The Mono County Historical Society.
To the left of the door.
The site for this courthouse was donated by Amasa Foster Bryant and his wife, Eliza Ann Scott Bryant. Pioneers who settled in this beautiful valley in 1862.
Plaque donated by the Mono County Board of Supervisors
Upper Twin Lakes, P.O. Box 455, Bridgeport, California, 93517, United States
Satisfaction: Very Good
Good for: Families
100 Main St., Bridgeport, California, 93517, United States
Satisfaction: Very Good
Good for: Solo
H.C.R. 62 Box 1050, Bridgeport, California, 93517, United States
Good for: Business
1110 Hunewill Ranch Road, Bridgeport, California, 93517, United States
Good for: Couples
This wonderful rustic has been serving the community for over 35 years. They serve an Eastern Sierra breakfast, lunch, & dinner right on the main street among historic atmosphere. Their home cooked Dinners include both soup & salad! For those inclined - beer, wine, or cocktails.
When we had last visited was 15 years ago and it was nice to see that this place holds that wonderful hometown feel. The decor was still that wonderful blue color I remember and they take great care in the upkeep. The waitresses were so friendly. The food was good and you cannot beat the price. It is right across the street of the 1880 Court House and just down from that is the Mono Museum and a wonderful park for the kids to burn off some steam. We enjoyed our time here.