Campo Travel Guide

LANDSCAPE
    CAMPO INDIAN RESERVATION - LANDSCAPE

Campo Things to Do

• First casino we visited in the USA

Golden Acorn Casino was the first casino we visited in the USA. It seemed to be a really large casino for us that time. But during our American trip we visited much bigger ones in Las Vegas, Nevada, especially.What was inside? 750 slots , blackjack tables, 24-hour restaurant and full service beverage lounge.We choose a restaurant.

• Games

In the casino you can choose between: - slot games- table games.There were very few people inside when we were there in late afternoon on Tuesday.We thought about trying slot machines first but finally we didn't it and we choose... a restaurant.

• How to play?

To be honest I didn't know. Start with slot machines - it's usually simple and boring (just my opinion) but easy.Follow the advice from my picture: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS - in English or... Spanish in Golden Acorn Casino :-)))

• Learn Video Poker

Goal Of The Game:Video poker is a versatile game combining knowledge of Poker with the excitement of slot machines and a few wild cards for extra fun. Like all forms of Poker, the goal of the game is to get the best hand possible. Playing The Game:This game is so versatile that it almost qualifies as a few games rolled into one. You can play Jacks...

• Casino run by... Indians

I was surprised when I got to know that Golden Acorn Casino is located on Indian territory (Campo Indian Reservation) and is run by Indian community: the Campo Band of Kumeyaay Indians. It seems that most casinos in California are run by Indians. I wonder why? Don't they pay taxes or what?Voice from the USA:Usually the only casino's that are...

• Laguna Mountains

Driving east of San Diego you must pass the Laguna Mountains first. The I-8 passes mountains partly rocky but mostly partly covered by grass. Never mind, the visibility was quite good when we drove there and the views were spectacular. Driving I-8 look for exits signed "VISTA POINT" = points of view.The highest points on I-8 San Diego-Yuma:Laguna...

Campo Restaurants

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Golden Grill Restaurant is a 144-seat a la cart restaurant located inside Golden Acorn Casino. They offer different food:
    - Italian,
    - Mexican,
    - American (steaks),
    - seafood.

We ordered some Mexican food and it wasn't bad but somewhat different and... worse than we ate the same day in Tijuana, Mexico. Hmm... it was rather American-Mexican food I could say hehe.
    But the coffee was delicious there.

Favorite Dish: Coffee with milk :-).
    Do not order Mexican food. Next time I would try... American steaks there hehe.

URSULA  WAITING

Campo Nightlife

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The casino is opened non-stop = 24 hours. So, you can enjoy or not to enjoy gambling even in the middle of the night. Hmm... better to be careful when you win something especially.

Dress Code: Casual, no tie, no suit required.

GOLDEN  ACORN  CASINO

Campo Transportation

• Historic US-80 Highway

I drove a car to Campo from San Diego on the way to Yuma, Arizona. I drove Interstate Freeway 8 (I-8) which was old historic Highway US-80 in the past. US 80 was once a transcontinental highway that went from San Diego, California to Tybee Island, Georgia. In California it went from US 101 in San Diego to the Arizona Border at Yuma - exactly my...

• Parking

There is a very large parking just in front ot Golden Acorn Casino. It was almost empty when I was there on Tuesday's afternoon in April. Driving I-8 take Crestwood Exit (exit 61) 25 minutes (30 mi = 48 km) east of Alpine.I stopped there looking for: click here! There are: gas station (cheaper gasoline!) and truck stop there as well.

• Campo Hotels

0 Hotels in Campo

Campo Shopping

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Gas station, self-service like always in California. Pay by cash at the cashier after fueling (no pre-pay needed).

It seems that gas is usually a little cheaper at gas stations located by casinos and some bigger supermarkets.

What to buy: Gas.

What to pay: I noticed that prices on gas were lower (somewhat 5%-10%) there than in other gas stations on the way.

GAS  STATION

Campo Local Customs

• They are big

I visited a few casinos in Europe before my USA trip:- in Monaco (Monte Carlo: Grand Casino and Cafe de Paris)- in Genoa, Italy,- in Estoril, Portugal- in Baden-Baden, Germany.But I... never gambled there, just visiting.There are quite many differences between the above casinos and that one in Campo (and the next ones I visited in the USA as well)....

• They are new/modern

American casinos are located in modern (and usually quite new) buildings built specially for them. Was gambling forbidden in the USA before?European casinos are usually located in old buildings (hmm... maybe that's why they are smaller) which were built and served not necesarilly as casinos in the past.

• They are for everybody :-)))

It seems that casinos are for everybody, rich and poor, I mean in the USA. I wonder whether they get into a casino a bum or whoelse strange looking? Hmm... probably yes, at least much easier than in Europe. Am I wrong? What a big contrast to European casinos which are often designated for high society, upper-class (are these words proper?) people,...

Campo Warnings and Dangers

• Watch for pedestrians

Watch for pedestrians especially around Golden Acorn Casino - they maybe so excited about good fortune... And do what local drivers do: give them a way, even outside pediastrian crossings (xings?).

• To gamble or not gamble?

That is the question.We were too much excited about our trip to Tijuana, Mexico, too much tired about it and we had too few time to gamble. Better not to start the game in such circumstances. But later in Las Vegas... I won FOUR US DOLLARS, WOW! Just in case... good luck :-)

• Traveling is better than gambling!

Don't spend too much $$$ in Golden Acorn Casino. Traveling is much better (and cheaper) than gambling, am I wrong?So, when you use this ATM (Automatic Teller's Machine) cash on my picture to get your cash... be careful :-)))

Campo Tourist Traps

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 7, 2003

Most people can gamble for fun and entertainment, and never develop a gambling addiction.

There are three distinct stages people with gambling problems go through before they "hit bottom" and realize they need help. It begins with the "Winning" Phase. So, be carefull - especially when you win - not to get to phase II - "Losing" and finally phase III - "Desperation".

Unique Suggestions: When you won... take your $$$ and get away ASAP and enjoy what you won :-)))
    When you lose don't try to win again and again, keep smiling and get away :-)))
    Check whether you are a problem gambler online - to make a test click here: Twenty questions

Fun Alternatives: If you have gambling problem:
    1. Call the Problem Gambling Helpline 1-800-GAMBLER or 1-800-522-4700 for confidential assistance 24-hours, 7 days-a-week.
    2. Join the Gamblers Anonymous (GA)
    Foe more click here: Gamblers Anonymous

If someone from your family, friends have a gambling problem:
    2. Join Gam-Anon
    For more click here: Gam-Anon

TO  PLAY  OR  NOT  TO  PLAY?

Campo What to Pack

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 8, 2003

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: .
    Check the weather in Campo: click here

Be prepared for big differences of temperatures between night and day (for example 100F at day and 50F at night or 30C at day and 5C at night) and very hot summers.

Take a lot of T-shirts, shorts and... a sweater for cold nights.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sun protection cosmetics.

Miscellaneous: A car with air-condition and... a frige recommended. Sun glasses.

I-8 EAST  OF  SAN  DIEGO

Campo Off The Beaten Path

by matcrazy1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Have you ever watched a ceiling in a casino? :-))
    In Golden Acorn Casino there are ligts and emergency fire showers (is it correct name or my English neologism?) there, I suppose. But where are cameras? Isn't Big Brother watching you there?

THE  CEILING  OF  THE  GOLDEN  ACORN  CASINO

Instant Answers: Campo

Comments

Explore Deeper into Campo
Casual dress code
Local Customs
They are often located nowhere
Local Customs
Don't they divide their costumers?
Easy to stop and gamble
They are numerous
Local Customs
Do they always work hard?
In red