The first quarter released in 2005 honors California, and is the 31st in the United States Mint's 50 State Quarters® Program. California was admitted into the Union on September 9, 1850, becoming our Nation’s 31st State. Nicknamed the "Golden State," California’s quarter depicts naturalist and conservationist John Muir admiring Yosemite Valley’s monolithic granite headwall known as "Half Dome" and also contains a soaring California condor. The coin bears the inscriptions "California," "John Muir," "Yosemite Valley" and "1850."
In 1849, the year before California gained statehood, the family of 11-year-old John Muir emigrated from Scotland to the United States, settling in Wisconsin. In 1868, at the age of 30, Muir sailed up the West Coast and landed in San Francisco. He made his home in the Yosemite Valley, describing the Sierra Nevada Mountains as "the Range of Light… the most divinely beautiful of all the mountain chains I have seen." He devoted the rest of his life to the conservation of natural beauty, publishing more than 300 articles and 10 books that expanded his naturalist philosophy.
The 20-member California State Quarter Commission was formed to solicit design concepts from California citizens and to review all submissions. The Commission forwarded 20 design concepts to Governor Gray Davis’s office for further consideration. From these, five were chosen as finalists and sent for final review to the United States Mint. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger chose the final selection from this group of five. The four other design concepts considered included "Waves and Sun," "Gold Miner," "Golden Gate Bridge," and the "Giant Sequoia" design. The Department of Treasury approved the "John Muir/Yosemite Valley" design on April 15, 2004.
Capitola is overflowing with creative people.
the sorrounding hills ,
the santa cruz mountains, and the monterey
bay provide an ever charging
panorama just begging for an artistic interpretation.
capitola's galleries are filled with colorful
sea and landscapes.
SALLY BOOKMAN, the gallerie
109 capitola av. 831 464 3838
MANY HANDS GALLERIE
510 bay av. 831 475 2500
202 cap.av. 602 550 0231
Capitola is built on the location of an Indian village that existed for more than a thousand years.Native inhabitants, known as the Soquel Indians, were removed to the Mission Santa Cruz when it was established in 1791. Nearly all traces of the Soquel "rancheria" and its culture vanished. In the Mexican Era that followed, the territory became part of the Soquel Rancho granted to Martina Castro and husband Michael Lodge in 1833.
California became a state in 1849 and Santa Cruz County was formed in 1850, shortly before German immigrant Frederick Hihn—a pioneer credited with developing much of the county's early industry—acquired the site of present-day Capitola from the Castro family.
Drawn by cool mists and the smooth beach at the mouth of Soquel Creek, travelers stopped and often stayed as long as they were permitted. Increasingly, vacationers thirsting for a break from hot weather in the Santa Clara Valley found the seashore inviting for an overnight camp. After roads over the Summit were built and improved in the mid-1860s, word about the sanctuary reached further into the state's interior to places like Hollister, Fresno, Modesto, and Stockton—towns that would in a few years lend their names to the streets of Capitola.
Hihn leased the beach flat to Soquel pioneer Samuel A. Hall in 1869. Hall saw that the landscape that provided refuge from the summer heat could also be profitable. His foresight created the place known now as the oldest resort on the Pacific Coast.
Once Capitola prospered, Hihn took over direct control of the enterprise, and subdivided lots for sale beginning in 1882. Over time, the old camping spot grew into "Capitola by the Sea", a vacation spa with a 160-room hotel, hot salt-water baths, and trolley service from Santa Cruz.
Capitola's community of permanent residents stepped forward to guide Capitola in the following decades. The village became the third city in Santa Cruz County after an incorporation election in January 1949.