Coyote Bar and Grill, Carlsbad

Just One of Many to Choose From
    by Ken_Weaver
  • Coyote Bar & Grill: Coyote Bar & Grill Refusal of service

by RPM92057 Written Nov 9, 2013

Coyote Bar and grill has Bouncers , waiters and managers that are on a power trip.

According to State and Federal law a business CANNOT REFUSE SERVICE, unless customer’s presence in the restaurant detracts from the safety, welfare, and well-being of other patrons and the restaurant itself. In addition, the primary purpose of a restaurant is to sell food to the general public, which necessarily requires susceptibility to equal protection laws. Therefore, a restaurant’s existence as private property does not excuse an unjustified refusal of service. Know your Rights!

Coyote Bar and Grill waitress implied I was saving seats, which is apparently a rule that is not posted anywhere. However, the waitress was only under the assumption I was saving seats, when in fact that was not the case. There were empty seats with people belongings in them that were dancing and had not yet returned to their seats.

I was approached and continually harassed by The Coyote Staff regarding their policy on saving seats which I repeatedly informed the staff I was NOT in fact saving seats. However, the staff found it purposeful to continue to approach me on this matter over-and-over again. After the third of six contacts by the coyote staff I politely asked the staff to please leave me alone and stop harassing me and ask for an explanation of why I had been singled out.

Shortly, after the manager came to me and handed me my credit card and said they were refusing service to me, but did not ask me to leave. Some 45 minutes later I was joined by several friends and that point the staff approached me again and asked me to leave, with no explanation of the circumstances, embarrassing me in front of my friends and threatening me with the police. Had I not had a witness to this event, I would have never believed it myself.

• Coyote Bar and Grill: HORRIBLE!!! RUN!!!

by kellyjennings Written Jul 20, 2012

Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went there with a bunch of friends (6 including myself) and they took my credit card way before we even ordered food (red flag!), then right before the food came they kicked us all out because "we didn't meet the dress code." When I asked what that meant they said it was because one girl had flip flops on!!!! So they told us to leave then said they would call the police if we protested. Of course I asked for my credit card back and they threatened to call the police again!! I have NEVER been treated so horrible!!! EVER!!! When they finally brought the credit card out to me in the parking lot (embarrassing!!!) it had a charge on it for 187.00$ ....they had the nerve to charge us for the food that we didn't even get!!!!! (To this day they refuse to take the charge off, I had to refute it throught the credit coompany) They freaking kicked us all out before we even got iany food that they charged us for!! I have heard that I we are not the first people this has happened to, I am not sure if it's a scam to get money or what. Its like they get your card right when you order then kick you out for violating "dress code" however I just read on here about "hooters chicks dancing on the bar while the guys all drool" so I am not buying the "dress code" thing. If you are looking for a place that will take your credit card and charge you before you even get one drink in you or a bite of food and then embarrass you in front of the entire restaurant, making you look crazy, then this place is for you!!!! I will never ever go back!! When I called to complain several times later I got NO phone calls back from anyone! Maybe they pick and choose who gets to come in and stay, I dint know. But they sure were rude to me and my group of girlfriends!!! It was so random too, we were all sitting at our table talking and the waiter comes up and tells us we had violated dress code and we had to leave right away or the police would be called. Well, they let us in, seated us and served us drinks!!! Why all of a sudden were we violating the code??!! They have signs posted all over about the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" but it dosent say no flip flops!! I mean jeezz, its right on the beach!!! People waer flip flops!!! Anyways, I am so angry this happened last month (June 2012) and I don't recomend any one ever go!!!!! Crappy drinks too and snobby staff!!! s up and tells us we had violated the dress code and we had to leave right away or the police would be called. Well, they let us in, seated us and served us drinks!!! Why all of a sudden were we violating the code??!! They have signs posted all over about the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" but it doesn't say no flip flops!! I mean jeez, its right on the beach!!! People wear flip flops!!! Anyways, I am so angry this happened last month (June 2012) and I don't recommend any one ever go!!!!! Crappy drinks too and SUPER RUDE staff!!!

Favorite Dish: Well, I didnt get to eat it because they kicked us out but according to other friends that have been there the food it terrible!

• Women's Travel
    • Wine Tasting
    • National/State Park

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo

Coyote Bar and Grill: Great Food and Music

by Ken_Weaver Updated Jun 4, 2005

Just One of Many to Choose From

Coyote Bar and Grill has been an institution in Carlsbad for many years. Not only can you get great food, you are entertained 7 nights a week with live music and on Saturdays and Sundays, there are additional groups that play the 3-5:30pm sets! The live music is out side on a patio with 4 large open fireplaces that patrons sit around. You will be listening to a sultry blues number and suddenly the Coaster, a commuter train will come roaring by about 100 feet from the restaurant......does it bother anybody?...No, just part of the Coyote ambience! 20 minutes later a freight train may roll by ...or Amtrack! It is a wonder that no one is killed since the trains seldom slow below 60 miles an hour coming thru Carlsbad.

Live music outside starts at 6pm and ends at 10-10:30pm, apparently to comply with a sound ordinance in the village. The genre of the music is blues, rock, swing. About 11pm, you can dance to hiphop inside with a DJ Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.

The clientele on any night is widely mixed. Older folks share the dance space with the very young!

I am amazed, being from Seattle, that you can sit outside at 9pm in February....in a short sleeved shirt and have dinner on the patio.

For entertainer wanna bes, Karaoke is the music on Monday and Tuesday nights. Great DJs and sound system! Many great singers balance out the occasional person who has no business hold a mike!

Service is spotty in the dining areas but people dont seem to mind since there is so much other activity going on. The bartenders are great...real pros...most regulars just come in from the patio and squeeze in at the bar to order their drink and then return. By the way, the establishment claims to have the largest offering of Tequila in the world...I saw a list with 159 selections...however for some strange reason about 20 of them are not for sale!

Favorite Dish: The cuisine is not Mexican, but what I would call Southwest Cuisine. My favorite dish is the Chicken and Sweet Corn Tamale- tender grilled Achiote chicken breast in a fresh corn filled tamale topped with a verde salsa, a corn salsa, and a red pepper salsa. The entree is accompanied with South West rice and beans.

Instant Answers: Carlsbad

Comments

Hotels Near Coyote Bar and Grill
0.1 miles away