Carlsbad Mineral Water Spring, Carlsbad
Carlsbad Mineral Water & Spa was founded in 1882 by retired sea captian John Frazier that discovered it while well digging 925 feet down. Once it was verified that he had hit a rich deposit of mineral water he named it Carlsbad Mineral Water. Soon it was discovered it was very therapeutic. The business prospered and beautiful Victorian homes were built in the surrounding area. Then in 1930 a hotel was built that accommodated many celebrities who came frequently for the mineral baths it boasted. Then in the depression hard times hit and the hotel fell into desrepair until in 1992 Ludvik Grigoras restored the old well by redrilling another well. He asked his friend another native from Czech Republic a famous sculptor Vaclav Lokvenc to sculp a 13 ft. bronze statue of Capt. John Frazier and once sent from Europe and erected at the Alt Karlsbad Historic Site 1994. It is still a very lovely spa that offers a unique ambiance of theme decor in every room while being treated by a professionally licensed and highly trained therapists.
Monday – Sunday
9:00am – 6:00pm
Evening hours available by appointment.
Open holidays, except Thanksgiving and Christmas.
The well that supplies the spa is in front of Alt Karlsbad Hanse House, a three-story, half-timbered turreted home.
Ludvik Grigoras from Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad, Czech Republic) restored the house and redrilled the well in 1992, after it suffered many years of decline. Ludvik and Veronica Grigoras personally decorated the spa, giving each room a theme of the early days of Egypt, Rome and the Orient. Prices range from $45.00 for a 30 minute "Cleopatra's" or "Ceasar's" massage, $60.00 for a 30 minute mineral water bath, up to $270.00 for the luxurious Dynasty Treatment.
By Appointments only!
Of course, if any of this is beyond your budget, you can connect with the history of Carlsbad by purchasing a 3 gallon bottle of Carlsbad Mineral Water for $5.50. (It can also be purchased in the spa in individual sizes.)
Carlsbad started as a whistle stop on the new California Southern Railroad. In the 1880s a former sailor named John Frazier dug a well in the area. He began offering his water at the train station and soon the whistle-stop became known as Frazier's Station. A test done on a second fresh-water well discovered the water to be chemically similar to that found in some of the most renowned spas in the world, and the town was named after the famed Spa in the Bohemian town of Karlsbad.
To take advantage of the find, the Carlsbad Land and Mineral Water Company was formed by a German-born merchant from the Midwest named Gerhard Schutte together with Samuel Church Smith, D.D.Wadsworth and Henry Nelson. The naming of the town followed soon after, along with a major marketing campaign to attract visitors. The area experienced a period of growth, with homes and businesses sprouting up in the 1880s. Agricultural development of citrus fruits, avocados and olives soon changed the landscape. By the end of 1887, land prices fell throughout San Diego County. However, the community survived on the back of its fertile agricultural lands.
The site of John Frazier's original well can still be found at Alt Karlsbad, a replica of a German Hanseatic house, located on Carlsbad Boulevard.