LegoLand, Carlsbad

by Jim_Eliason
  • Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Written Feb 5, 2013
    Legoland

The american branch of this legendary Danish company's themepark is in Carlsbad. It's ride are aimed at younger children than a typical amusement park but its display of Lego building and landscapes are fun for the whole family.

• jagheter's Profile Photo

great idea, good execution, pricey for what it is

by jagheter Updated Aug 24, 2012

supercool lego ninja airplane we got at Legoland

If you're kids don't do rides, then Legoland feels like an expensive museum (I should also note that my 4 year old had just gotten over a fever and did not have the energy for a full day at an amusement park). That being said, there are some really cool things to see here, with mini-land being one of the best. There are several hands on-areas, and the water park looks like a lot of fun. Having the two-day park hopper pass made the price easier to bear, and we didn't feel pressured to see the entire park in one day. I was impressed that the park restaurants offer healthier choices than the typical park fare. Don't expect discounts on the Legos at the park stores.

• Aquarium

• Not worth the $!!!!

by LaurieinWoodland Written Aug 17, 2010

Even after getting a child ticket for free, Legoland is not worth the $!! After spending a week in Disneyland, going to Legoland is like going to Tijuana. You might as well head a few miles south of Legoland & actually go to Tijuana! The most aggravating thing is you pay $79 a person for a Legoland/SeaLife 1 day hopper pass but it is another $5 to pan for gold, $5 to climb the rock wall, another $5 to play a carnival game & etc. I guess we were used to Disneyland where everything is included once you are in the park. The lines are SUPER slow too. My 5 year old son enjoyed Legoland because he has no concept of $. Then again, he was more enthralled by the real black widow spider in one of the Lego displays....yikes! LOL. You might as well take your child to Downtown Disney to play at the Lego Store...cost less & more fun :)

• jumpingwithnorman's Profile Photo

LegoLand Mania

by jumpingwithnorman Written Jul 18, 2009

If you have boys from 4-10 yrs of age, they will definitely enjoy LegoLand. They have rides, exhibits, hands-on building fun and even a waterpark area (open during summer months). Everybody is always in awe at the details that go into building the different dioramas and displays at LegoLand. Don't expect to be getting cheap deals on Legos though. They sometimes have a tent sale but you still get only about 10-20% off retail price. Though sometimes if you're lucky either at the tent or at the different retail areas scattered around the park, you'll see some very cool merchandise. I was able to get some Bionicle shoes for my boys a couple of years back. They literally wore it to pieces.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

by Yaqui Written Oct 12, 2008

Ole Kirk Christiansen was a danish wood toy marker. He started making his toys in Billund Demark in 1932. He named his little workshop Lego, in Danish meaning 'leg godt,' meaning 'play well.' It was coincidentally learned later that LEGO in Latin means "I put together" or "I assemble." That is pretty amazing. In 1947 the company bought its first molding machine and called their product the "Automatic Binding Bricks". In 1967 the larger DUPLO® bricks for pre-school children and LEGO TECHNIC for older children debuted in 1977.

In 1968, LEGOLAND® Billund opened on a 9 acre site with all the buildings, landscapes and vehicles using standard LEGO bricks, and I think the rest is history.

My boys enjoyed the park alot. I will admit it is more catered to children from 1 - 10 years of age, after that much of the park is kind of boring to them. I will say my 15 year old liked a couple of the rollercoasters, but he made the best of it for the rest of us. My Nate just loved the place. So you might want to keep that in mind when bringing the older kids.

I will say I enjoyed the mini lego towns, that was awesome. I can appreciate all the work that went into them. Lots of details. I think the adults enjoyed this attraction the most.

• alrondon's Profile Photo

A visit to LegoLand

by alrondon Written Nov 8, 2005
    At the Driving School

Just before I went to the US, we had little knowledge that there was a place called Legoland. As we approached it, we were hesitant thinking it would be such a boring place. To our surprise, we were so entertained that we forgot the time. Over shadowed by its illustrious counterparts Disneyland and Sea World, little is known of Legoland.

• ArizonaExpert's Profile Photo

LegoLand

by ArizonaExpert Written Jul 19, 2005

Entrance

I don't see any Legoland reviews here...maybe I am looking in the wrong place! I visited Legoland with 3 of the 5 kids. I read reviews before I went, so I knew this park might not meet expectations. Armed with my coupons for 2 for 1 admissions (as always found on EBay), I entered the gates.

My understanding from reading other sites was that Legoland was for kids 10 and under. I found that to be most accurate. My almost 10 year old son was not thrilled by most of the rides, although he did like some of the geared to older kids things.

The park was great for the younger ones, although admission is pretty steep for such a small park. I expected a Saturday in July to be busier, but it wasn't. We arrived 20 minutes after the gates opened and parked close, and strolled in.

Food choices are standard, but we ate at the Sports Cafe so the kids could at least have veggies and fruit with their meals. Service was good there by the way.

All in all, we wouldn't repeat a trip there, but it is a fun place for the under 9 crowd. Moms and dads will be a bit bored too, but hey, isn't life all about little sacrifices??

• Sophie1980's Profile Photo

LEGOLAND

by Sophie1980 Updated Mar 27, 2004

Today (March 28th 2004) we went to Legoland, located in Carlsbad, 10 minutes from where I'm currently living in Oceanside.
    It opens from 10am - 4.45pm (later in the summer) and at $43 per adult, $36 per child, you want to spend the whole day there. We got annual passes at twice the above amount, which works out great if you live in the area, or are planning on visiting more than once.
    Plenty of rides for young children (10 and under), including mini rollarcoasters, boats, lego horses/helicopters/cars, and you can get your driving license here too (ages 3-12).
    Arriving at the park when it opened at 10, we worked our way arround anti-clockwise, hiting the most popular rides first and having no lines.

WARNING! We waited an hour for the sky... ride, which only lasted 5 minutes!! It's a slow car ride on a monrail above the park, but the kids were bored waiting and we could have spent the hour on other rides. Given the cost of entering the park, I'd give this ride a miss.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

LEGOLand!

by lmkluque Written Dec 19, 2003

A Park made of bigger than life LEGOS.

Legoland is a big Danish amusement park that caters to smaller children. The whole idea of it is that everything is built out of LEGOS.

LEGOLand wanted to live in Del Mar, but the citizens snubbed their nose at the idea and Carlsbad found a nice piece of land in its hinterland to offer.

It wasn't easy for me to find, even following directions so good luck!

• Theme Park Trips

• Visit LEGOLAND, BEACH...

by bgedwards Written Feb 25, 2003

Visit LEGOLAND, BEACH activities Virtually all of San Diego county is available by car, Coaster(train along the coast): San Diego./...Seaport Village, Old Town(with Bazaar del Mundo), Coronado Island, Harbor Island, Point Loma and Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetary, miles of beaches, Sea World, SanDiego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, LaJolla shores, San Diego Harbor cruises, Balboa Park with museums and galleries, spectacular restaurants in every locale.
    The above listed activities which are unique: LEGOLAND(NEW)and the first in US having originated in Denmark; World-famous San Diego Zoo

• Fishing

Instant Answers: Carlsbad

Comments

Hotels Near LegoLand
4.0 out of 5 stars