Carmel-by-the-Sea Restaurants

• Restaurants
    Pork Tenderloin

Most Recent Restaurants in Carmel-by-the-Sea

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Dametra Cafe: Great experience!

by blueskyjohn Updated Mar 30, 2013

What an experience this place is. We walked by in the afternoon and saw wait staff dancing and singing and everyone having a good time so we checked out the menu and tried to make reservation for that evening. They only had a 9pm seating available. So we gave our name but the host didn't write it down. I was sceptical whether we would actually have a table.

We arrived 30 minutes early just incase they didn't have a table we can still find another place to eat. The host was still working from the afternoon and remembered us. We did have a table but they were running maybe 20-30 minutes over. No problem, we walked for a little bit and returned at 9pm. Our table was not ready and they were so sorry they gave us each a glass of wine on the house as we waited.

Our table was finally ready and it is a small dining area. Everyone is having a good time so it could be a bit loud but its all part of the fun atmosphere. We started with an appetizer of Hummus and pita bread. Only complaint here was we had a huge bowl of Hummus and only two pieces of pita! Very tasty though and very reasonably priced.

Before our main course came out it two gentleman, one looked like a cook from the back and the maybe the owner, began to sing and play a guitar. Very enjoyable and seems to be a regular occurrence.

For our main course we had a Gyro plate and the Greek style Lamb Shank. Both were very good. We were so full from the Hummus and main courses we could not make room for dessert. However, even after we mentioned this they still brought out dessert for us to sample on the house. I don't know what it was but it was delicious!

On our way out the owner gave each of us a hug as if we were family. great time!

Favorite Dish: The Lamb Shank was perfectly cooked and we really enjoyed it.

ANTON & MICHEL RESTAURANT: GOURMET CARMEL BY THE SEA

by travelgourmet Updated Oct 20, 2012

GOURMET ENTRANCE

The moment you see the front door, you are aware that this restaurant is going to be a gourmet experience. The ambience is upscale and the service is impeccable. Yes, I know this is a beach town, but I still wore a jacket. It fits the mood of the interior. Dinning at Anton & Michel is a true gourmet delight and I was not disappointed with the selection of dishes that I sampled. A reflection pool sits outside beyond the tables and the floor to ceiling windows. A wonderful open feel and reflects the town of Carmel. Charming.

Favorite Dish: The filet mignon was glazed with a perfect reduction of sauce bordelaise. Tender to the touch. The rack of lamb was tasty and cooked to perfection, medium-rare. A local Carmel Valley red wine completes the menu.

• Luxury Travel

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Carmel Bakery and Coffe Company: Holy Cannoli!

by blueskyjohn Written Aug 13, 2012

I really like this place and it seemed so many others do as well. The lines can be long. Very good coffee. But what I like was the Cannoli I had. First it was delicious and big! But more impotant it was filled all the way through, not like some places where they only fill the ends and you don't find out until you leave and bite into it.

They also have sandwiches and other goodies.

PortaBella Restaurant: Good meal in a unique building

by blueskyjohn Written Aug 13, 2012

We saw this restaurant as we wonders the streets on Carmel. It has a very inviting building, more Europian country house. There is some outdoor seating but we chose to eat indoor. There are several rooms for dining. The wait staff were very attentive. It was on the high side of price for lunch but we went for it anyway.

We had the Monterey Bay Sand Dabs and a special of Pork Tenderloin. Both were very good and we would visit here again but not too often because of the price. Basically it is dinner pricing for lunch.

• lisa85202's Profile Photo

The Cottage of Sweets: Bribe your kids!

by lisa85202 Written Apr 20, 2012

An adorable English Cottage full of delectable candies and treats for the kid in ALL of us! My daughter accidentally fell in the water down at the beach, without a warm dry change of clothes...she was cold and miserably walked back towards the car...nothing better to change her mood than a visit to the Cottage of Sweets!

Favorite Dish: Delicious caramels and chocolates...

MARINUS AT BERNARDUS LODGE: THE BEST IN CARMEL VALLEY

by travelgourmet Updated Feb 6, 2012

Veal is the meal

Marinus is one of those restaurants you must include on a trip to Carmel-by-the-Sea, if you LOVE, not like, gourmet. Located in Carmel Valley, only a few minutes drive from the town, is the secret wine district of California. Here, in the Valley, lies the Marinus at Bernardus Lodge which showcases California-French cuisine, and the recipient of the Grand Award from Wine Spectator.

Cal Stamenov, Executive Chef, has not only award winning dishes to offer, but on meeting us, table side, he also possesses a winning smile. He is missed in Los Angeles and was at the now closed Citrus. Treasured by all who enjoy gourmet dining, Cal creates dishes with intriguing sauces. Please go to the Marinus at Bernardus Lodge if you are looking for that little bit of heaven taste in food.

Favorite Dish: One must sample a little of each dish to truly understand the mindset of Chef Cal, but he has a way with duck and fois-gras. His handling of veal is divine. The sauces used with his creations are all Chef Cal Stamenov's recipes, and top notch, at that. You should not go wrong, driving to the Lodge to experience the gourmet dishes at Manirus. Tell the Chef, I sent you. Au revoir.

• Spa and Resort
    • Wine Tasting

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Flaherty's Seafood Grill and Oyster Bar: Oysters and Chowder

by Rixie Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sea murals, Flaherty's

Flaherty's menu offers fresh, wild seafood (not farmed) that is delivered to the restaurant two or three times a day.

The freshness shows. For an appetizer, we shared the oyster sampler, which included California and East Coast oysters, and I had half a turkey sandwich and a cup of New England clam chowder. I'm particular about my clam chowder, and I thought Flaherty's was excellent: creamy, with lots of clam pieces and not too many potatoes.

Pub-type atmosphere. You may have to wait for a table, as they are very popular.

CARMEL BAKERY: A QUICK STOP SPOT

by travelgourmet Updated Apr 4, 2011

TASTY PASTRY

Need a quick fix of food or sugar rush? Well, Carmel Bakery is your answer for the lower priced food bin in Carmel-by-the-Sea. A little bit of everything, like what someone might want quickly and at a decent price. Don't plan on sitting down and having a gourmet meal. It is what it is. I found the candied apples drew me inside and that's what I walked out with, well it was a chocolate covered apple. It was tasty, did the job of quelling my hunger and I moved on. They do have bakery goods here and coffee, sandwiches, etc. No fast food restaurants in Carmel but this comes close.

Favorite Dish: A candied apple caught my eye in the window and I walked out with a chocolate, marshmallow, nut covered apple. Yummy!

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo

Carmel Roasting Company: Great Coffee and Teas

by Lhenne1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Carmel Roasting Company has 4 locations in Carmel. The shops are small but the coffee and teas are delicious. The staff seems to be well-trained in making a specialty espresso drink (I've never had a bad one). The coffeehouse also serves sandwiches, packs picnic baskets for 2 or 4 people and has a variety of tasty baked goods on hand (selections change daily). Coffee beans are also sold by the pound.

Favorite Dish: They do a great Chai Latte. I love it!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Mission Ranch Restaurant

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Mission Ranch is a beautiful old farm alongside the old Carmel Mission... you get the basis of the name I'm sure. On the grounds you will find an inn, a restaurant, two barns for functions, tennis courts, a health club, and more. We made a trip to the restaurant, but were impressed by the simultaneous weddings in the barns.

We had a wonderful dinner at the Mission Ranch. They don't take reservations, so we arrived around 7:15 pm and were told we'd have an hour to wait. We quickly found two seats at the bar and had a drink apiece (house pinot $7.50 & Great White, Anchor Steam, and other draft beers about $5 each), and our table was ready in about 30 minutes. Our meal started with the house garlic bread, and we ordered the fresh oysters (six for $11). For entrees I quickly decided on the prime rib with twice baked garlic potatoes ($28) and Laura immediately selected the duck with mashed potatoes ($23). For desert we had the just-sweet-enough bread pudding with whipped cream ($7) and two cups of regular coffee ($2 each).

The service was excellent despite the restaurant being packed, the food was great, and the piano entertainment that began around 8:30 or 9:00 was very popular.

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

NICO Ristorante: Fine Mediterranean dining.

by trvlrtom Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant was recommended to us by the owner of a neighborhood gallery we knew. There's nothing like getting a rec from a local. Our lunch here was really good, as well as the service and atmosphere.
    Since this is Carmel, the menu is fresh and creative. You will likely find something prepared here you haven't thought of before. The restaurant has a small patio on the side that faces the street (it is relatively quiet street, 1/2 block off Ocean) as well as another outdoor patio in the back, as well as the indoor seating.

Favorite Dish: There are too many good things to mention, but I had a tasty smoked salmon sandwich. One thing that I thought was odd however, is that they served cheap mustard with the fancy burger one person in our group ordered. With everything else so thoughtfully prepared, why would Nico's put out bargain mustard?

• Wine Tasting

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

The Cottage Restaurant: Great Breakfast Place!

by GracesTrips Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tomato and mushroom eggs benedict

We're on our way home from Monterey and planned to stop off in Carmel to spend some time. We looked around for a place to have breakfast and what luck! Found this quaint little place that must have been good because people were waiting to get in. Put our name on the list and waited about 10-15 minutes because we could sit down. It was worth it!

Favorite Dish: Tomato and mushroom eggs benedict. Half cottage potatoes and half fruit with my order. It was yummy and filling! My boyfriend had the Cottage special with eggs, chorizo and pancakes (Kathy cakes on the menu). Chorizo was a choice amongst bacon, sausage and some other meat.

• bryaj03's Profile Photo

The Cottage: Carmel traditional food at it's best

by bryaj03 Updated Apr 4, 2011

My mother grew up in Carmel, so when we took her back for a visit, we ate lunch at The Cottage. I had the Salad Sampler (too much to eat at one sitting so I took over half home for supper!) which was fabulous. My sisters and mother had the Artichoke soup that she had told us about for years. Mom remembers when Carmel Valley was all Artichoke fields.

Good food and well worth the trip! For dessert we all had the gingerbread with lemon sauce. Now i know where Mom learned to make it!

Favorite Dish: The Artichoke soup is a local thing since the Salinas Valley is the artichoke capital of the world.

• Architecture

• NICO Ristorante Mediterraneo: Best Dinner in YEARS!

by joyrperez Updated Apr 4, 2011

The staff was helpful, attentitive and patient. The meal we had was amazing from the wine, the Split pea soup, delicious salad to the entrees. We cannot remember the last time we had such a strong meal from beginning to end. The gnocchi is reason enough to visit Carmel and the daily special was mouth-watering. This is a precious place with authentic flavors, amazing atmosphere and non-pretentious staff.

Favorite Dish: Gnocchi in gorgonzola sage cream sauce...what else can I say?

• Paris92's Profile Photo

Flaherty's Seafood Grill: Yum, Yum, and Double Yum

by Paris92 Written Mar 19, 2011

So, the first night in Carmel my family and I were tired, cranky, and above all, hungry, so we asked the hotel desk for a good recommendation. They told us about Flaherty's and we headed straight there.

All I can say is--if you enjoy fish & chips, this is your place. I'm not sure how to elaborate on this--it's just really, really good fish and chips (and great martini's). The only drawback to this place is that the bathrooms are practically in a different county, but other than that it's fabulous.

Favorite Dish: Fish and chips.

Instant Answers: Carmel-by-the-Sea

Comments

Carmel-by-the-Sea Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Carmel-by-the-Sea restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Carmel-by-the-Sea sightseeing.

View all Carmel-by-the-Sea hotels