Mission Carmel, Carmel-by-the-Sea
Mission Carmel was founded by Father Junipero Serra in 1770, the second in the California chain. Mission Carmel was the headquarters of the Mission chain from until he died in 1803. The Carmel Mission was his favorite, and he lies buried here under the altar.
It was in this Dining Room where had dinner Count de La Pérouse, Georges Vancouver, Alejandro Malaspina and Frederick William Beechey, among other remarkable men.