Carpinteria Travel Guide

Carpinteria State Beach
    Carpinteria State Beach

Carpinteria Things to Do

by tvdandy Written May 26, 2011

If you are like me, you cannot get enough of those lovable seals. Carpinteria has a great beach area to view them in their natural habitat. Below the cliffs at the Bailard exit of Carpinteria is a harbor seal rookery. You can stand on the cliffs and watch the baby seals play in the water in a little lagoon at the shore. You can take a trail right to the beach right from the Ballard exit parking lot which leads to the viewing area. Pretty cool and don't forget your camera.

Seal Rockery near Carpinteria Seal Rockery near Carpinteria
    • Photography
    • Hiking and Walking

by tvdandy Written May 26, 2011

As I said in my opening, Carpinteria is not very big, but the downtown is quaint. So take several hours of your day and stroll the shops, coffeehouses and restaurants. There is a good selection for a town this size. And some of these shops have some cool California culture vibes to them. Most of the shops are located on Linden Avenue.

Downtown Carpinteria Downtown Carpinteria Downtown Carpinteria

by tvdandy Written May 26, 2011

The beach is located right on the edge of downtown. I would imagine this is the biggest draw for tourists. It is a clean beach and has some nice volleyball nets setup. This is a very laidback beach so don't expect spring break type craziness.

Carpinteria State Beach Carpinteria State Beach
    • Beaches

Carpinteria Hotels

Carpinteria Restaurants

• davesut's Profile Photo

by davesut Written Feb 21, 2014

On teh main Linden Avenue route to the state beach there are a number of restaurants. We arrived around 6:30 and noted that there were all a bit busy. So we went for a stroll along the beach for around half an hour before returning and fell upon Tony's. Good food and service here, we enjoyed our meal and family friendly atmosphere. There was a mix of people out for the evening and those on there way home from the beach, a calmer atmosphere after 7pm on the night we were there.

by tvdandy Written May 26, 2011

Call me a baby if you want. But when I sit down at a restaurant I want to be served my food. After all, I have a kitchen at home if I wanted to cook. This is the one problem I had with The Palms. There is a huge grill in the center of the restaurant, the waiter will bring you the slab of meat you ordered and you are expected to grill it yourself. There are plenty of seasoning on hand to make it how you like. BUT I was not able to sit down and enjoy my salad bar because I was constantly having to pop up out of my seat to check on my steak. It was not a relaxing environment for this reason. Sure, the steak was delicious, but damn I want to relax during a meal if I am going to spend money at a restaurant.
    Cheap prices, but I can see why and I would gladly pay the extra for regular service.

The Palms Restaurant

by tvdandy Updated May 26, 2011

This is an awesome, good old fashioned burger joint located very close to the beach parking lot. Great big, artery hardening burgers with delicious fries. This is more like a hamburger stand where you order at the window. There are outdoor and indoor places to sit though. Cool, very local vibe. I have the feeling this is the lunch hotspot for people in the know.

The Spot

Instant Answers: Carpinteria

Comments

Carpinteria Travel Guide
Map of Carpinteria