Cars, Parking and Driving, Chula Vista

Know about this?

PARKING FOR DISABLED CUSTOMERS
    CHEVROLET PICKUP TRUCK
    by matcrazy1
  • RIGHT  IN  CHULA  VISTA  BUT  WRONG  IN  EUROPE:-)
    RIGHT IN CHULA VISTA BUT WRONG IN ...

For disabled customers

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 11, 2003

PARKING  FOR  DISABLED  CUSTOMERS

Like in all (I think) European countries they have special numerous parking places for disabled persons in front of the entrance to each supermarket.

But they offer more:
    they have "electric small personal vehicles/carts" (how do you call them?) for disabled customers in some (not all) supermarkets - they had them at least in Chula Vista Wal-Mart. Do all Wal-Marts offer them?

I have NEVER seen them in Poland :-((((. Maybe soon...
    What about your homecountry?

Sorry - no picture of that vehicle (in respect of someone's disability).

FROM my friend CHRIS (balfor) from Atlanta, Georgia, USA:
    We normally call them electric scooters or electic carts or something along those lines.
    THANK YOU Chris :-).

• Disabilities

No gymnastics!

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 15, 2003

LARGE  PARKING  PLACE :-)

The parking places were just much bigger in Chula Vista than I used to see in Europe, at least in most European old towns.

There was no gymnastics needed when I got out of your car in parking lots in Chula Vista. We have smaller cars, smaller parking places and narrow streets in Europe.

Pickup trucks

by matcrazy1 Updated Aug 31, 2003

CHEVROLET  PICKUP  TRUCK

I was a little surprised seeing for the first time maybe not very many but quite many large or even very big pickup trucks in Chula Vista.

In Europe (even in warm Mediterranean areas) and even more in Poland they are much less popular at least for the three reasons, I suppose:
    - unreasonable price,
    - weather (snow, rains),
    - they are unpractical (easy to steal unlocked/uncovered loadings).
    And they are supposed to be mainly farmers' vehicles in European warmer countries.

Why are they so popular there - in a city?

VOICE 1 (from the USA):
    Americans generally like everything big because that means power and money. Its probably a cultural thing, because its not usually very practical.
    Since when does someone need a 2300kg vehicle to take kids to school?? LOL

From my friend CHRIS (Balfor) from Atlanta, Georgia, USA:
    Pick ups are used for more than just farm work. Many Americans do their own home repairs and a pick up is the ideal vehicle for getting supplies home.
    Also, many people use them for gardening so they can bring large amounts of mulch, big plants, etc home.
    Many Americans have trailers or campers, and a truck is better for pulling those than a car is.
    And some people just like the way a truck looks. :-)
    THANK YOU Chris :-).

From my friend KATHERINE (Callavetta) from San Francisco, California, USA:
    4WD vehicles are another big cultural issue here in the US now. People buy these huge things that are major gas guzzlers and then drive them around the city, never even going off road or in the snow.
    Thank you Katherine.

Truck route

by matcrazy1 Updated Feb 28, 2005

TRUCK  ROUTE

It seems that they sign routes for trucks quite different than in most European countries.
    Enlarge my picture: they just put a sign with TRUCK ROUTE written.
    In most of Europe (I think) we write: TRANSIT + eventually put a small truck picture by it (depends on a country).

Generally they often write warnings surely in English on their traffic signs. Maybe I should put vocabulary of these writings on my USA page someday. Hmm... they usually use simple/basic words. I didn't know only one word: XING = pedestrian crossing haha.

They drive bigger cars

by matcrazy1 Updated Jun 10, 2003

On a street

Their cars are bigger than I used to see around Europe. Especially the smallest ones are at least one size bigger than in Europe.
    Hmm... do they ever drive such cars like Toyota Yaris or Nissan Micra? I have never seen them there.

More: when they say midsize car they mean a car like Nissan Altima for example, hmm... it is rather big, family car at least in my (European and/or Polish?) mind hehe.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

They drive older cars, too

by matcrazy1 Updated Sep 15, 2003

A  LITTLE  OLDER  BUT  LOVELY  CAR !

Some folks think that in such powerful country like the USA people drive new cars only. Nothing more wrong.

It's a car country. So a car is a car = vehicle used to drive from one place to another, nothing more.
    Like in most well developed countries they don't mind (hmm... at least not so much) whether they drive 3, 5 or 15 years old car, it just to be a little comfortable and never must been repaired.

In Europe it depends on a country: in Germany Switzerland, Austria they never (OK, very rarely) drive older cars, they just love to change often their cars, every 3-4 years, I suppose. On the other hand, a surprise: in very well developed Sweden/Norway I saw quite a lot of older cars in use hehe. Am I wrong?

I was very surprised when I read in a car magazine once that the average age of a registered car was larger in the USA (over 10 years!) than in Poland hehe.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Are they able to park a car right?

by matcrazy1 Updated Jun 12, 2003

RIGHT  IN  CHULA  VISTA  BUT  WRONG  IN  EUROPE:-)

Hmm... in my (Polish and/or European) mind not at all. They just have so much space on streets and parking lots that - as you can see on my picture - they are not forced to park a car exactly and very close to a curb not mentioning "bumper-to-bumper" parking. Quite comfortable for me as a driver!

At some streets in Europe the driver of that car on my picture could even get a ticket for wrong parking (too far from a curb hehe).

From LINDA (lmkluque):
    The maximum distance from the curb that we can park is 18 inches. More than that and we can be ticketed.
    Thank you Linda.

Hmm... 18 inches = 45.72 cm - almost half a meter. Can you imagine what would happen in Paris when...

Instant Answers: Chula Vista

Comments

Other Local Customs in Chula Vista