Shopping, Chula Vista

Shopping carts without locks

by matcrazy1 Updated Jul 11, 2003

Woman with shopping cart

Look at my picture.
    Shopping carts look quite the same as I used to see around Europe (with a place for your kid - if you have a small one :-).

But there is one difference at least with my homecountry:
    American carts don't have locks and I liked it much :-))).
    In my homecountry all shopping carts by supermarkets are locked: you must put a small coin to take one (to unlock it) = you are motivated to get it back to its place after shopping (to get a coin back). Is it understable in my English? He?

Hmm... it seems that customers in Chula Vista always take their shopping carts back to their "storage places" (how do you call it?) after shopping and even if not (very rarely) - the supermarket staff do it.

Comment by my friend CHRIS (balfor) from Atlanta, Georgia, USA:
    We generally call them "cart racks". However here in the southeast, they don't call them carts, but rather they call them buggie (which I don't understand because I've never seen a horse pulling one! ) so they will refer to them as buggy racks.

Comment by my friend JUDY (JudyinPA):
    When we lived in a university town the students always took their groceries home in the cart. That is a great idea having to rent the cart and getting the money back on the return.

Instant Answers: Chula Vista

Comments

Other Local Customs in Chula Vista