Filippi's Pizza Grotto, Chula Vista

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 5 Reviews

82 Broadway, Chula Vista, California 91910 (619) 427 - 6650

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Filippi's Pizza Grotto: Great Pizza!

by lmkluque Updated Aug 10, 2013

Filippis and I have a history. I managed this restaurant and worked there for twenty-three years. My son's grew up thinking of Filippis as their second home, had their first jobs at Filippis and almost all our family birthdays were celebrated there. All that, just to say that Filippis Pizza Grotto Chula Vista is a large, yet cozy, neighborhood, come-as-you-are, restaurant for all occasions.

The basket wrapped Chianti bottles holding dripping candles and the red flocked wall paper are gone now, but the red and white checkered table cloths have survived. Many people think of the decor as "Old World Italian" but, customers from Italy didn't agree. It doesn't really matter, it's a comfortable and affordable place to have a good meal.

There are about thirteen Filippis' in San Diego, not a chain. Individually owned by members of the DePhillippis family and the Chula Vista restaurant, owned by Cheryl and Alfred DePhilippis, is the second--I think--location established in 1952.

Favorite Dish: Now, as for my favorite dishes.

Pizza! Anytime, pepperoni & mushroom, easy sauce and no oregano. Occasionally pepperoni & jalapeno, easy sauce and no oregano. It is not necessary to order extra cheese on the hand-flipped pizzas as the cooks are more than generous with the mozzarella! However, if less cheese is desired, just say to the food server, "Easy cheese please."

I also like the Spaghetti, Lasagna, Pasta Primavera, very creamy Fettuccini Alfredo and Veal Parmigiana on special occasions.

When I take my grandchildren to the J Street Marina to play in the park, we stop at Filippis for a Super Torpedo or Ham & Cheese Sandwich--both served on a crunchy torpedo role, both delicious and usually one is enough for all four of the kids.

For dessert Canoli!!

• Business Travel

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Filippi's Pizza Grotto: The best pizza in San Diego County!

by matcrazy1 Updated Jun 16, 2003

FILIPPI'S  PIZZA  GROTTO  -  ENTRANCE

Filippi's Pizza Grotto is a regional (San Diego County) chain of Italian restaurants. Each of its 12 locations is still owned and operated by family members of the original founders who came to America from Italy in 1922 and moved to San Diego in 1950.

They offer delicious pizzas and some other Italian food. If not Linda I would never find it hehe - thank you Linda!

HOURS:
    Sunday thru Thursday 11:00 am to 10:00 pm
    Friday thru Saturday 11:00 am to 11:00 pm
    Notice: 8" Small Pizza Served 11am to 3pm Monday thru Friday.

Favorite Dish: Pizza - hmm... which one we ordered? I don't remember but never mind, it tasted delicious! Hmm... I get hungry just now :-))).

HOW MUCH did I pay?
    For large pizza - 16 inches (41 cm) - real MONSTER I paid $24.03, much? Hmm... it's enough for 6-8 persons even hungry persons hehe -:).
    Why do I always order BIG pizzas? do you?

Btw it was 97.41 PLN (Polish currency).Hmm... I used to pay approx 30-40 PLN in Poland (including free delivery at my door).
    So, welcome to Poland !!! We have much more than inexpensive pizzas hehe.

Filippi's Pizza Grotto: ORDERS TO GO but no delivery

by matcrazy1 Written Jun 16, 2003

ORDERS  TO  GO: 427-6650

There are "ORDERS TO GO" in Filippi's Pizza Grotto. Do you call it "TAKE OUT" as well? That mean that you can order a pizza (usually by phone) for exact time in advance but you must come there to take it out.

NO DELIVERY in Filippi's Pizza Grotto. Why? Hmm... maybe they want to meet you personally and show you a restaurant hehe :-)))

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Filippi's Pizza Grotto: World famous?

by matcrazy1 Written Jun 11, 2003

REALLY WORLD FAMOUS ?

It seems that each business, company, reaturant etc. is at least world famous or world's best or... etc. etc. in Chula Vista.

Hmm... when you read my restaurants tips on Filippi's Pizza Grotto above (12 locations in and aroung San Diego hehe) maybe it will really become WORLD FAMOUS :-))).

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Filippi's Pizza Grotto: Finally I found something smaller in the USA :-)

by matcrazy1 Written Jun 11, 2003

A little smaller than in Poland :-)

Haha, finally I found something smaller in the USA than in my homecountry just in Chula Vista.

Look:
    They offer pizzas in 3 different sizes in Filippi's Pizza Grotto in Chula Vista:
    Small - 8 inches (20 cm)
    Medium - 12 inches (30.5 cm)
    Large - 16 inches (41 cm) - real MONSTER :-)

Are the above standart sizes of pizza in the USA?
    Hmm... I don't know. It was the only one (and delicious) pizza I ordered in the USA. I was just looking for food not so easy to find in my homecountry while I traveled around the USA.

But standart pizza sizes in Telepizza - international company of Spanish origin popular in Poland are alittle bigger:
    23-31-41 cm -haha!!!

Instant Answers: Chula Vista

Comments

Hotels Near Filippi's Pizza Grotto
2.0 out of 5 stars