Claremont Restaurants

Asparagus wrapped in smoked salmon
    Seabass in carrot sauce

Most Recent Restaurants in Claremont

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Viva Madrid: Everyone is Waiting to Get In!

by GracesTrips Written Oct 2, 2012
    Asparagus wrapped in smoked salmon

This is an amazing restaurant! Spanish food, unique and authentic. Tapas is more than affordable. We will definitely go back. They do not take reservations, it's first come first serve and you are more than likely going to have to wait for a table. This place is packed!

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

The Press Restaurant: Very Good Food with Good Prices!

by GracesTrips Written Mar 21, 2012

Claremont is known as a college town and for having an upscale residential area for retirees. The city has undergone some wonderful growth having added a movie theater, nice wine store, cheese store and many other interesting shops. The Press Restaurant is part of the older area close to the colleges and they provide good food with great prices. I enjoyed an Asian chicken dish with ginger and white rice and my boyfriend enjoyed a pasta dish with cauliflower and some pumpkin soup. It was all very tasty almost like home cooking. I will definitely go back again and try some other menu items. Cozy ambience and they also have entertainment in the latter hours of the evening.

Walter's Restaurant: Afghan Cuisine and then some

by GracesTrips Written Jul 11, 2010
    Short Ribs, Polenta and Vegetables

Very nice patio setting dining areas and live 3 piece jazz band providing entertainment makes this restaurant very inviting. The wait staff service could be more attentive initially when taking drink orders and your dinner order. The food, I thought, was pretty good. The restaurant offers non ethic cuisine along with a big selection of Afghan dishes. If you like lamb, there are several ways the lamb dishes are prepared. I'm not a big fan of lamb so I ordered the short ribs served with polenta and vegetables. The meat was tender but with lots of fat. Then again, short ribs do have a lot of fat in them. The sauce was tasty. My boyfriend ordered a turkey kabob dish. It was also very good. The kabobs were removed from the skewer and served on a thick piece of tandori and swimming in a tasty sauce. I think I would go back again to try something else.

• Three Forks: Unforgettable dining experience!

by wendbeau Written Aug 7, 2009

My husband and I went here for Valentine's Day with a group. The restaurant was serving a 7-course menu, which our entire group ordered. The menu consisted of abalone appetizer, oysters, filet mignon with black truffle oil, and a delicious home-made dessert creation. Three Forks also offered a wine pairing to go along with the menu. It was probably the most delicious eating experience I have ever had. I am a foody, and I love a good steak! The filet mignon was melt-in-your mouth perfect.

Favorite Dish: I love the desserts...hats off to the pastry chef! But, really the steaks are high on the list. I have never tried the more ecclectic meats, but have heard from others at my table that they are delicious. My father-in-law loves the rabbit pot pie!

• La Piccoletta: Seek this place out, you won't be sorry!

La Piccoletta Wall

The best place you may never find... Situated literally in the middle of a block behind other businesses is a real hidden gem. La Piccoletta is not your typical place. They choose a diferent pasta and about 4 sauces each week (to compliment the texture of the pasta). You can choose more than one sauce and included in your meal price is salad and a drink. House wine is $1.00 per glass and it's good. It's $17.00 for the meal, kids are $8.50. Antipasto and desserts all have their own prices.

Favorite Dish: The pink sauce on penne pasta! They also call the pink sauce, Aromi. It always throws me off!

• Arrufos: Skip it altogether

by MsStarlite Written Nov 15, 2007

My experiences here have gone from decent to terrible and I'm never going back. The last one was when my husband and I went the night before Valentine's Day a few years ago because we weren't going to be able to go out on Valentine's night. Oue entire experience was terrible. THe place was nearly empty and we were seated right by the kitchen door. The staff was rude not only to us and other patrons but to each other to the point that they were yelling obscenities at each other! Even though we complained we were not offered an apology, a reason for what was happening there, or any compensation on our meal.

Favorite Dish: Absolutely nothing could taste good in that atmosphere.

• Some Crust: Scones, pastries & cupcakes OH MY!

Some Crust Bakery

I can't say enough about Some Crust. I would go here every day if my body woudn't expand at the very thought. This place is crowded on most mornings. If you find a place to sit, great but it's likely you'll have to take your treats to go especially if your party is large. 2 have the best chance of finding a seat.

Favorite Dish: My favorite thing here changes with the wind, but I really enjoy the chocolate chip scones, the blueberry cheese danishes, and especially the chocolate raspberry tarts (special order but so worth it!) They also make those yummy cupcakes!!! A friend of mine craves the apricot pinwheels like crazy. The kids really like the cookies of all sorts. I could go on and on!

• Walter's: Try the green chutney with your afghan fries!

by MsStarlite Written Nov 15, 2007

This is a really good place to go for any meal of the day. A great breakfast place, a nice business or girlfriend lunch, it can be prices so I tend to go on special occasions. We've gone at dinner time and ordered breakfast (not all items are available). Breakfast is the best deal by far. You can't beat the prices and atmosphere for that. They have some really unique items for lunch as well. At lunch and dinner, bread is served. Servers come areound continually and refill your bread and butter and your drinks so don't worry if you're starving or parched, they will take care of you. They are also fairly famous for their Sunday Brunch but I have yet to sample that personally. Some day!

Favorite Dish: They have a goat cheese salad that I like but since I'm allergic to walnuts I have to leave those out. Unofrtunately they seriously don't know what pine nuts are so I go nutless on this one. But the salad is really good. My absolute favorite thing here is the afghan fries with the green chutney. Use it like ketchup. I'm drooling just thinking about it. A friend of mine really likes their soups and her favorite thing to do is get 2 soups in one bowl which is not on the menu, but they will do it if you ask. I've tried it, it's good. I also recommend the passion tea. If you don't want to pay the money for the salad, you could go over to Full of Life if it's lunch time if you're willing to wait in line and deal with the staff. You'll pay $4.00 less and get a great salad, but you don't get the same service or ambience.

• Women's Travel

• Espiau's / The Danson: Get the Albondigas!

Espiau's

It's a mix of Mexican and American faire. It's recently become more of Espiau's than the Danson. I highly recommend the Albondigas soup, the mexican salad (if you like mexican cheese you will LOVE this salad) and the taquitos. Beware that although the burritos are big, they only come with the ingredient listed so if you order a carnitas burrito it will be a large tortilla filled with carnitas and that's it. No rice, no beans... that's extra. The vegetarian burrito however has other ingredients. The kids meals are reasonable and the chips have a really nice season salt on them, mmm. The salsa is different, but we enjoy it. We go here often. Beware that the beans and rice is not your typical refried beans and spanish rice, Some meals come with black beans and the rice has corn in it, so if that bothers you ask what's in something before you order it. Though I've checked the $11-20 price mark, we get away with less on most nights. My kids get kids meals or a bowl of soup which is very filling and comes with bread. I get soup and salad which is barely over $10. and my husband get taquitos ala carte for about $5.00 and we share the soup and salad. With the complimentary chips and salsa we are very satisfied. However, if you go in and order normal entrees, you will likely be in the other prices ranges. **On Thursday evenings you can sit in the bar area and flip a coin with the bartender for half price drinks every half hour!

Favorite Dish: I really do recommend the albondigas soup. This actually surpassed an albondigas soup that was my favorite throughout my childhood and into my adult life until I had this one. I still like the other one, but this is now my favorite. The mexican salad is also good and the taquitos are really good as well. On most nights they are bigger than any other taquitos you've ever had.

• The Orchard at the DoubleTree: Skip dessert

by MsStarlite Updated Nov 15, 2007

Use your entertainment card here and have an entree, though the selections are pretty limited. My beef? Dessert was the biggest rip off ever! The dessert is obviously not fresh. With the exception of items made with their fresh baked cookies (which might be great if so many people weren't allergic to the walnuts in them) all other desserts are most likely defrosted confections. Our tiramisu was the most discusting thing I've had in a long time. I just wanted to get our check and leave. It was not rancid or anything like that, but it was literally all cream, no hint of rum or espresso whatsoever, and "Where's the cake?" There was no flavor, I thought it was just terrible. Our server was one of those who brought the dessert and left us there forever. Luckily I was able to flag down another server who knew the signs of a guest in distress and got our check for us.

That said, I would likely go back and use my entertainment card here to get an excellent deal on lunch or dinner, but I would rather go elsewhere for dessert.

Favorite Dish: I don't have one yet and it may be a while before I go back. I had the caesar salad wrap and though it was tasty, it was very oily and messy. My dining partner had a burger that he said was good. Not great, but good. Without the discount I would likely not be returning, but with it this place becomes a reasonably priced spot with nice atmosphere.

• Three Forks Chop House: They Need to Lose the Attitude

by Claremole Updated Sep 13, 2007

This place got off on the wrong foot right away when the hostess couldn't find our reservation, and kept us standing around until another employee found it for her.

Things did not improve when we ordered. I asked for the lettuce wedge salad, but without pancetta. The waitress told me that the chef won't change ANYTHING. She was polite and apologetic; she assured me that, once I got the dish, I'd be able to remove the pancetta myself, which turned out to be true. But at these prices, why should I have to? And so wasteful!

Now that I've mentioned the prices, they were insane! Dinner for four people, with one cocktail, one bottle of wine (on the cheaper end of the wine list), tax and tip, came to $333! And none of us ordered from the list of steaks or chops, which cost more, and didn't even come with side dishes.

The food was mostly good, but not consistently so. The "smothered buffalo," in spite of the silly name, was actually scrumptious. And the trout was outstanding. I really enjoyed my cheese plate (however, it didn't come with bread; I had to ask for it).

On the other hand, my tomato salad was marred by the dressing; on the menu, it was called "olive oil sorbet," but it wasn't a sorbet and it didn't taste much like olive oil. It had a bizarre texture -- it started out almost stringy, but then it melted in your mouth. My salmon entree was good but not great, and the side dishes that came with it were both disasters -- oversalted succotash, and a tiny green smear on the plate that was supposedly pureed peas.

There were actually a lot of things I liked about the place; the room, for example, was just beautiful. I'd like to give it another try, but not at THESE prices.

• Three Forks Chop House: Pricey gourmet dining

by kcbrit Updated Sep 1, 2007

this place opened in August 2007. It is a high-priced steakhouse with 5 cordon bleu trained chefs. Very good food but high priced. expect to spend approx $50 a person. worth the visit.
    Ambience was good with a good wine list that includes organic options and nice decor.
    Reservations recommneded.

Favorite Dish: I don't eat farm raised meat but will eat the wild stuff when it's available. I had wild boar on cheese grits and it was very tasty. my partner had Argentiine skirt steak and liked it although he wished he had stayed with the chef's recommendation to have it med-rare. Desserts were a cherry-bourbon brulee and an exotic banana split witth three different chocolate souffles. the portions were small to medium sized but very filling. I saw people chowing down on huge plate sized steaks. There were chicken and fish dishes available as well as salad and sooup for the vegetarian crowd.

• kjoy's Profile Photo

Some Crust Bakery: Delish Bakery Goods and Coffee

by kjoy Written Jul 18, 2007

This bakery has been around since 1916, they use only wholesale, all-natural ingredients. The best chocolate, the best cream, and so forth. Scones, breads, danishes, cookies, and other pasteries are freshly baked daily. Beautiful wedding cakes are also available for order.

Whenever I'm in town for a visit (I grew up here), I always must make a stop here at least once! The ownership changed hands, and for awhile I was skeptical of this, but fortunately they seemed to have grown taking over the shop (which was vacant anyhow) next door and providing more seatings (however, they fill fast!)

Workers are mostly hippy-ish college kids, very friendly.

Although I don't drink coffee, I hear the coffee here is pretty well roasted. I get Chai from here.

Enjoy!

Favorite Dish: Mocha Truffle Cookies.... these are to die for -- especially when freshly baked!

• marinarena's Profile Photo

Walter's: Waltz into Walter's!

by marinarena Updated Oct 4, 2006

restaurant in Claremont, California

Walter's is a local favorite, situated along the Yale Ave row of quaint restaurants, cafes and shops. The atmosphere is sophisticated without being stuffyand the food is flavorful without being overpowering. What's more on the food ? It has an Afghan influence. Yes, one can even try Afghan food just outside of Los Angeles. Some dishes of this ethnic cuisine served here are: kabuli pilaf (rice), bowlanies (meat and potatoes fried in a batter) and kabobs (skewered chicken beef and lamb). Despite these exotic meals, the establishment serves up what can be called American or eccletic Californian. There is a mix of everything...from omletes and pancakes for breakfast and brunch, and pizza, steak and fried chicken.

Favorite Dish: Afghan fries ...really deep fried (soaked them in napkins) but quite tasty!

• Wine Tasting

• Euro Cafe: Portuguese Food

by kcbrit Written Oct 5, 2005

Nice little place with good food and coffee. Took over from Ilventos at same location on Baseline / Mills in the Vons shopping center. Good stop off if you are going hiking in the wilderness park or skiing in Baldy.

Instant Answers: Claremont

Comments

Claremont Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Claremont restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Claremont sightseeing.