Il Fornaio, Coronado

1333 First Street. (619) 437-4710

• Il Fornaio
    Il Fornaio from the bay
  • Complementary Chips & Salsa Italian Style
    Complementary Chips & Salsa Italian...
  • lmkluque's Profile Photo

Il Fornaio: Set Apart From The Rest

by lmkluque Updated Oct 22, 2011

The newest place (No longer the newest.) at the Ferry Landing Market Place and though I haven't eaten there yet, I've heard good reviews of this place. I have, however, eaten at the Il Fornaio's In Del Mar and liked it very much.

Update:

I have eaten here, several times now and can tell you that it is as enjoyable as at the Del Mar location!! Just the smell of the fresh baked bread is worth it!

The views seen from this restaurant are wonderful and relaxing. The stark decor isn't my favorite, but something about the understated simplicity is soothing. Mostly I like the graceful and accommodating service given by all employees.

There are two heated patios at this restaurant, one off the main dining room and one off the full service bar, which allows smoking and food as well as drinks will be served.

Favorite Dish: Here also is a bread bakery and you can order Food To Go. Those who know about Trader Joe's might find it interesting that some of the breads they sell comes from Il Fornaio.

We shared a salad and sandwich which was plenty for two of us and delicious!

Each meal begins with the Italian version of "chips & salsa." A basket full of various breads and a dish with basalmic vinegar in olive oil which appeases the appetite while perusing the menu.

What to order? It's anyone's choice. I had a calzone and salad, the first day I went here, it was a meal too big for one sitting, so took the rest home for a light dinner later. Since then I've had other items and all have been very nicely presented and flavorful. One strong suggestion, save room for one of their succulent desserts!!

Oh and order a loaf of bread to go. It is really delicious.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Coronado

Comments

Hotels Near Il Fornaio
3.5 out of 5 stars