Historical Sites, Death Valley National Park
Favorite thing: In 1849, when the Gold Rush started, the first pioneers arrived in Death Valley, but missed to realize it’s richness in minerals. But in the 1870-ies, these treasures were discovered. Borax was found near Furnance Creek Ranch, and the Harmony plant was built. During the full operation time, 40 men were working there and produced 3 tons of borax daily.
Favorite thing: Make a visit at the Death Valley Museum and find out more about this place. It is located in the center of the park, it houses museum exhibits, a visitor information desk, and the Death Valley Natural History Association book store. Open daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Favorite thing: pay a visit to Mr. Zabriskie, of course! :)) As a matter of fact, this sightseeing site borrows its name from Christian Breevort Zabriskie, a 36-year veteran of the Pacific Coast Borax Company that once operated in the area. In fact, In 1873, borax, the so-called white gold of the desert, was discovered in Death Valley, and its harvesting and mining soon followed. In 1927, in response to growing interest in the area, the company opened the Furnace Creek Inn to provide more luxurious accommodations to travelers. Moreover, it was officials of the Pacific Coast Borax Company who brought the beauty of Death Valley to the attention of the National Park Service. On February 11, 1933, President Hoover signed a bill creating Death Valley National Monument, and in 1994 Congress made it a National Park.
Favorite thing: The Ashford Mill ruins are located 44 miles south of Furnace Creek alongside highway 178. The mill was built in 1914 to process ore from a mine in the Black Mountains.
Favorite thing: These old wagons were used in the mining of Borax. It was interesting to see and to imagine the difficult times for the miners.