Ubehebe Crater, Death Valley National Park

4.5 out of 5 stars 20 Reviews

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo

by mht_in_la Updated Dec 1, 2003

Ubehebe Crater

The photo shows Ubehebe Crater as seen from the parking lot. It's a volcanic crater, not an impact crater. It measures half a mile wide, and about 750 feet deep from the deepest part. The explosion was estimated to have happened about 1,000 years ago, making it very young in geological time.

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

by Cabana_Boy Updated Nov 23, 2003

With a circumference of 1.5 miles, Ubehebe Crater sits in the Northern third of the Park. Although the hike around the rim is a good because you can look back at all the fools who never leave the parking lot, the hike to bottom of the crater altogether different. Again devoid of people, I set out for the bottom of the crater 500 feet below the rim after hiking around the massive crater. With the sound of Crystal Method's "Vegas" blaring in my headphones, I scrambled down lose volcanic rock that gave way under foot.

The heat of the day was on me as I reached the crater floor and complete silence came over me as track three ended. I felt absolute peace, absolute quiet and then a slight breeze swept over me as the oscillating sounds of a keyboard on the next track (Higher Roller) started to play...then the words..."this transmission is coming to you"..."this transmission is coming to you"..."we've got it"..."this transmission is coming to you"...."we've got it"....."we've got it"..."alright you are go"...."alright you are go"...."alright you are go"...."ah, we see the Earth now"..."we've got it"....."ah, we see the Earth now"

As track five continued, I started having that out-of-body experience sort of feeling, like I was on another planet. My second thought was, man, I wish I had some weed. That moment at the bottom of Ubehebe Crater was one of the most peaceful and inspirational moments in my life. A natural high induced by the combination of music and sight of the landscape before me, standing at the bottom of this massive crater, formed thousands of years ago, the warm November sun light on my face, the music resonating in my headphones, the timing of track four, the sense of accomplishment hiking to the bottom, the emptiness of Death Valley, the absence of other people; all of that combined to make a moment in my life that defines the feeling one gets about travel to remote places. It makes you feel like you're the only the person on Earth...and you are small, very small...

• Andraf's Profile Photo

by Andraf Updated Nov 1, 2003

Ubehebe Crater, Death Valley

The Ubehebe Crater is situated in the north of the Valley and it's quite a drive to get there. But if you plan to see Scotty's Castle then Ubehebe is only 8 miles away from the castle. The crater was formed by a massive vulcanic steam explosion a few thousand years ago. There is a trail to the bottom of the cone.

• Desert

• sspagna's Profile Photo

by sspagna Written Feb 25, 2003

Ubehebe Crater is thought to be the result of a relatively recent cryptovolcanic eruption. It formed probably a few thousand years ago when magma rose close to the earths surface and caused ground water to flash into steam. It must have been quite an explosion as the crater is 2,000 feet across and 750 feet deep. It's possible to hike down into the crater.

• Combinedefx's Profile Photo

Plants and flowers at Ubehebe

by Combinedefx Written Jun 22, 2004
    Volcanic succulent and insect

There was a great smattering of plantlife along the trail into the crater. That was a great surprise! No matter where one goes, life persists...

Instant Answers: Death Valley National Park

Comments

Hotels Near Ubehebe Crater
4.0 out of 5 stars