Devils Postpile National Monument Sports & Outdoors

• Trout fresh from the San Joaquin River, CA
    Trout fresh from the San Joaquin River,...
    by travelgirl3
    Hiking down to Rainbow Falls
    by mht_in_la

Most Recent Sports & Outdoors in Devils Postpile National Monument

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo

Great Fishing

by travelgirl3 Written Nov 25, 2004

Trout fresh from the San Joaquin River, CA

I didn't catch this trout, but it was the first fish I ever cleaned. My neighbour, Bob, was an avid fisherman, and went out almost every day to the San Joaquin River which ran beside our campsites. He gave this one to me, but also taught me how to clean it. I had it pan-fried in butter - it was delicious!

• Fishing

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo

Hiking

by mht_in_la Updated Dec 28, 2003

Hiking down to Rainbow Falls

Devil's Postpile National Monument is small, but it has some nice trails. First, you can try the famous John Muir Trail that cuts through the Monument. Or, you can walk from the postpile to Rainbow Falls like I did. The trail is relatively flat with great Sierra scenery. From the burnt trees there seemed to be a wildfire not too long ago.

I walked down to the falls and dipped my feet into the cold fresh water of San Joaquin River. Some people swam to the bottom of the falls to feel the power of the water, but the water was too cold for me. Later I returned to the Rainbow Falls trailhead to catch the mandatory bus.

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Devils Postpile National Monument

Comments

Devils Postpile National Monument Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Devils Postpile National Monument sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Devils Postpile National Monument sightseeing.

View all Devils Postpile National Monument hotels