El Segundo Off The Beaten Path

Beautiful colour..
    by leics
  • Tree-lined downtown street (Eucalyptus Drive?)
    Tree-lined downtown street (Eucalyptus...
    Lovely twisted tree trunks

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in El Segundo

• TinKan's Profile Photo

Old town look

by TinKan Written Feb 21, 2003

Homes

There are many older buildings here in the town. Many were built in the 1940s, 50s and 60s.

You should take a walk around the town and down the residential streets.
    I like the look of the older homes and I do not like the new homes that people have been building here. The look and feel of the town is what makes it all work.

• Beaches
    • Business Travel

• leics's Profile Photo

Memorial (and other) stones....

by leics Updated Jan 21, 2014

As I was wandering along Main Street, past El Segundo's City Hall (that's such an oddity for me...a small....population around 16500....settlement being called a 'city'), I noticed these stones set into the pavement (sidewalk).

Each had a small story to tell. I don't know why they are there. I've tried to find out, but have failed so far. I assume they were placed as some sort of fundraising activity. But I enjoyed reading the inscriptions. Some were messages to deceased or living loved ones, some expounded the pleasures of living in El Segundo and a few were just advertisements.

You'll find the stones/slabs following a wavery line along Main Street from (roughly) outside City Hall to the junction with Holly Avenue.

• Photography

• leics's Profile Photo

Enjoy the trees and the yards

by leics Written Aug 5, 2013
    Beautiful colour..

The downtown streets of El Segundo ...and even those in the surrounding business district...have what I considered to be a remarkable (and unexpected) number of trees, some of which are clearly well-established and of a decent age.

And the yards of many of the houses seemed to me to show a love of gardening which I must admit I had not expected to find.

The trees and plants are so different to those in the UK that I could name very few of them...petunias, nasturtiums, bougainvilla, 'Bird of Paradise' and 'cacti'...that's about it. But not knowing the names did not stop me enjoying what I saw. :-)

• Photography

Fancy a Barbie? Try the Mattel Toy Store

by leics Written Aug 8, 2013
    Exterior

Should you be in need of a toy..perhaps you've forgotten to buy anything to take back home, or suddenly remembered a child's birthday....you could do worse than visit the Mattel 'outlet' toy store in El Segundo.

Mattel has a huge office block which just happened to be next door to my hotel, with the toy store at ground level, so I was able to pop into the 'outlet' and see what was on offer.

Actually, there was quite a lot....and it said that prices were lower than elsewhere. I'm not sure how true that is, because I hadn't been pricing up toys whilst I was in the US...but why would they lie? Certainly I suspect the lady I saw with her trolley piled to overflowing with toys intended to re-sell them...unless she was just buying early for Christmas? :-)

You'll certainly find a good choice of Mattel-produced toys and games, from baby goods through to super-duper model cars and...yes indeed...rather a large number of Barbie dolls.

It certainly seemed to be a popular place. People were coming and going every time I walked past (and I walked past quite a lot).

You'll find Mattel at 333 continental Boulevard, El Segundo...the Mattel office block makes a good landmark to spot. There's parking at the front and the store is open from Monday to Saturday, from 10am to 6pm.

• Seniors

• janders's Profile Photo

Watch Airplanes Take Off Over Your Head!

by janders Written Jul 5, 2004
    LAX

Vist the top of Imperial hill. This view gives you a look at LAX, Santa Monica, West L.A., The Mountains that surround Los Angeles, And Downtown L.A.

• TinKan's Profile Photo

Local living

by TinKan Updated Jun 26, 2003
    Church

A walk around town will provide many nice things to see. The town started off very small and has some very nice churches and older building that add to its charm.

• Business Travel
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: El Segundo

Comments

El Segundo Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of El Segundo off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for El Segundo sightseeing.